The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];40552709']Soup = perfect dinner for a cold and foggy night :smile:

I've now had soup two nights in a row, oops!
Reply 981
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Hi :smile:. That's really good motivation to get it done, if you know it'll cost you if you don't do it!

A stone in that amount of time sounds quite possible, make sure you keep checking in with us on here, as we'll be able to support you :biggrin:.

thank you! :smile: I had a rather horrible start to my evening when I met up with a male friend who I fancy and he told me I 'used to be so attractive' (ie when I was slimmer). I felt so unattractive and horrible, which has given me even more motivation than before!
Reply 982
Original post by infairverona
I know what you mean but most people would agree that seedy brown bread is better for you than white bread simply because it has something good for you in it at all, whereas white bread doesn't really...I don't know,

...and if I was discussing it with one of these 'most people' specifically, I would say the same thing; making an absolute statement about one item of food is kind of ridiculous.

I mean, yes, the seedy brown bread generally contains some nutrients that the white bread doesn't but you know what? Once I spread the white bread with sunflower oil, they suddenly have a pretty similar nutritional profile...

I think if I followed your way of doing things I'd end up thinking oh well I'll have white because I'll get the nutrients from something else, and then not end up eating the something else.

Well, that is the antithesis of my approach. The whole point of what I have been seeing is that I take a holistic approach to diet. As such, I plan out my meals and make sure to prioritise essential nutrients. Aside from those, I then don't care so much about the other bits and pieces I eat around it.

In simple terms, I plan complete meals that contain everything I need and I prioritise eating those. I will eat other stuff including some 'junk food' mainly as a convenience because the idea is that if your diet is 80% on point and you are getting everything you need - the other little bits and pieces don't matter and will be insignificant. Google IIFYM (if it fits your macros) for more information. The basic idea is just to plan the bulk of your food on the basis of what nutrition is essential and then to relax about the rest because obsessing about each food item and whether it is 'clean/healthy' or not is just an irrelevent and ultimately counterproductive neurosis.

If that makes any sense. I just go by things I know are fairly healthy whereas in general people agree that white bread isn't particularly good for you.

I don't think 'people' do generally think that white bread isn't 'good for you'. Unless we are talking about carbphobic women's magazines and so forth. White bread is a staple food stuff here and across Europe. It comes in different qualities and levels of freshness and even the more crappy processed ones are generally fortified by law.

The bottom line is that I don't care what 'people' say unless they are able to back up what they say by substantiative facts and reasoning.

I was just wondering whether it's better to eat lower calories or eat something which is only higher in calories because it has nuts/seeds in which, while provide good fats or whatever, are still calories.

You don't want to hear it but it is impossible to say because the answer is: whichever option allows you to meet your nutritional goals for the day in the way you most prefer doing. That is an issue of preference. As I said, personally, I don't see seeded bread as necessary for myself since I get the fats I need from other foods and if I wanted extra fat with bread - I would rather use some oil or spread as opposed to seeds which add texture but not much moisture. For you it might be different - you might not be eating as much fats in your other meals as I do. You might much prefer the taste of that bread. You may prefer to forgo having a spoon of olive oil on your veg to have extra seeds with your bread etc. etc.

I mean, it is like going to a restaurant with someone and saying should they have the chicken or the fish. It depends on what they had for lunch and what they prefer. Ultimately it is a non-issue.
Reply 983
Original post by conway!
Bread manufacturers are required by law to put in certain vitamins and minerals - calcium, iron, vitamin B1 and something else. Or rather the flour but same effect lol. So you'll be getting nutrition (in the sense I think you mean) from both types, though unless I'm remembering this wrong I think that wholemeal bread is much better for fibre.
Unless there was a *massive* difference in calories, I'd go for the granary bread anyway - if it's only 50/60 calories difference, and you enjoy it more :smile:

This basically. Often the fibre content is pretty similar too depending on what you are comparing.

Original post by isawsparks89
Doesn't burn your calories, it boosts your metabolism! Oolong, too.

Drinking iced water as opposed to the usual temperature is also a bonus for your metabolism :h:

What do you mean by 'boosting metabolism' if not burning calories?

When people talk about boosting the metabolism - the only sensible way to interpret it is that the body catabolises more nutrients for energy usage i.e. burns more calories.

With green tea (and indeed regular tea and coffee) the idea is that the caffeine and also some of the phytonutrients (flavanoids) have an effect on the sympathetic nervous system that induces the body to utilise more energy. In terms of the caffeine, this is similar to any other stimulant and is quite tangible - you drink too much coffee and you literally get the jitters and feel energetic. The interesting thing about the other aspect of things like green tea and similar things are that they don't tend to pose the same cardiovascular and other risks that more hardcore thermogenic oriented stimulants like ephedrine have. The thing is though that the effects are so mild that whenever they have done studies with actual green tea - they can't actually note any significant effects. The only tests that have really shown anything involve using heavily concentrated forms of green tea extracts and even then, the metabolic effects were extremely small and insignificant in the grand scheme of most diets.

Again, drinking colder water uses more energy than drinking water at room temperature but unless you prefer to drink cold water (I much prefer drinking ice cold water for the refreshment value) there is absolutely no point in forcing yourself to have iced water because you think it boosts your metabolism to any useful extent.

I mean, let's actually quantify the metabolic effect of drinking iced water vs. tap water. Let's say a glass of iced water is about 3C (degrees Celcius) and a glass of tap water is about 15C. So when you drink the iced water - your body has to heat it an extra 12C. By definition of the calorie, this difference is about 12 calories per litre of water that you drink.

So if you are talking about someone who currently drinks 2 litres of tap water daily and makes the switch you would be talking about an extra calorie burn in the region of 20 calories per day. This is pretty negligible.
Foggy morning run = pretty :smile:

Definitely needed it to wake my brain up for the day too - we're doing a super confusing group project (which involves learning about databases - not my strong point), so feeling nice and awake is a bonus.
Any recommendations for a good green tea? I understand the standard supermarket brands are processed and lack nutrients/antioxidants. Dunno to what extent this is true though.
Original post by T_x
thank you! :smile: I had a rather horrible start to my evening when I met up with a male friend who I fancy and he told me I 'used to be so attractive' (ie when I was slimmer). I felt so unattractive and horrible, which has given me even more motivation than before!

Oh my goodness, how can some people be so tactless!! At least it's given you a bit of motivation even though it must have been horrible to hear.

My boyfriend recently told me to stop losing weight because he preferred me when he was bigger.. so I told him I wouldn't risk my health for his enjoyment lol.

--
I need to go for a walk today, but to be honest the rate at which I can walk in this ridiculous icy weather means I hardly burn anything! :frown: So not impressed.. but it has to be done anyway.
Original post by silent ninja
Any recommendations for a good green tea? I understand the standard supermarket brands are processed and lack nutrients/antioxidants. Dunno to what extent this is true though.

I really like twinings tbh...are there that many nutrients/antioxidants in green tea really? I just drink it because I like the taste haha, twinings do like a mixture box of green tea with lemon/cranberry/orange and theyre all lovely. I like green tea with strawberry as well :smile:
I really like twinings tbh...are there that many nutrients/antioxidants in green tea really? I just drink it because I like the taste haha, twinings do like a mixture box of green tea with lemon/cranberry/orange and theyre all lovely. I like green tea with strawberry as well :smile:

Not sure how, but you've just reminded me that I bought a shed load of options hot chocolate sachets the other day :biggrin: Mmmm!
Not sure how, but you've just reminded me that I bought a shed load of options hot chocolate sachets the other day :biggrin: Mmmm!

Haha maybe all the different flavours? I love the hazelnut one yummm
Haha maybe all the different flavours? I love the hazelnut one yummm

Boyfriend is buying me Dominoes tonight, so I have that, followed by a nice hot choc to prevent me from finishing my tub of B&Js lol :biggrin:. Don't have the hazelnut one, I have a mint one that I'm tempted to try tonight, or a chocolate fudge one.. hmm. I need marshmallows though I wonder how many calories are in them!
Boyfriend is buying me Dominoes tonight, so I have that, followed by a nice hot choc to prevent me from finishing my tub of B&Js lol :biggrin:. Don't have the hazelnut one, I have a mint one that I'm tempted to try tonight, or a chocolate fudge one.. hmm. I need marshmallows though I wonder how many calories are in them!

It's about 25 cals per marshmallow as far as I know so not that bad at all. Could chop them up too to make it go further! Not sure why but chopped up stuff totally looks like there's more of it haha.

Sainsburys do some sugar free marshmellows which are only 5 calories each :smile: love themmm
Yeah so I'm having another flip out episode. Today was SO BAD, kids basically playing up and in the back of my head I'm still like:
WHY AM I STILL IN SCHOOL BEING UNPAID TO PUT UP WITH THIS BEHAVIOUR.
Even my nice first year class are playing up - I'm guessing it's cos it's near christmas. But I'm still just like, why should I put up with this?! I have been so in my right FOR MONTHS to walk out and monday and today have just been extremely EXTREMELY ****.

I can see myself walking out if not tomorrow then by monday. Hiding it out in a cafe to calm down before getting what might possibly be a bigger lunch than it should be.

Original post by Mark85
x

I don't really want to reply to this right now because my mind's doolally (in which case you can void this whole quote if you like) but essentially, as you said, it still boosts it, so I'm technically right. Every little helps anyway.

I know it wasn't your intention and I know you're knowledgeable about this but I feel put down by that. I'm just trying to help another user, and to get that response, I feel spoken down to.

Original post by silent ninja

I really like gunpowder tea, I know you can get it in whittards, not sure where else...
Reply 994
Don't have the hazelnut one, I have a mint one that I'm tempted to try tonight, or a chocolate fudge one.. hmm.

We had a few of these sachets at home - my favourite was the coconut. Check it out if you haven't already - very nice.

Original post by isawsparks89

I don't really want to reply to this right now because my mind's doolally (in which case you can void this whole quote if you like) but essentially, as you said, it still boosts it, so I'm technically right. Every little helps anyway.

I know it wasn't your intention and I know you're knowledgeable about this but I feel put down by that. I'm just trying to help another user, and to get that response, I feel spoken down to.

Didn't mean to come across like that. Just when you contradicted the point about burning calories and boosting metabolism - I just wanted to point out that that is the same thing in that context. Metabolic rate is essentially the rate at which we metabolise energy sources (including from food and internally). Thus increasing metabolic rate means using more energy i.e. burning more calories. Wasn't trying to put you down - just wanted to clarify.

The other point was that unless you are particularly interested - a lot of these matters are negligible from the point of view of wanting to lose weight so they aren't worth thinking about unless you are interested in the processes from ana academic point of view in which case, it is interesting to try to find out the substance behind a lot of the claims.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 995
Feeling a bit anxious about tonight. It's dad's bday so we're going out for a meal and a lot of the veggie options at places we've looked at are pasta which I can, in no way, eat with restraint.

I've eaten a slice of toast with some honey and an apple for breakfast and a big salad with peppers, tofu, roasted carrots and sweet potatoes, leaves, pinenuts, feta for lunch and am off to the gym for a 600ish burn so I should have about 1200 to play with. BLEH.

Don't want my diet to be ruined by my dads bday or my dads bday to be ruined by my diet!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lolimemma
It's about 25 cals per marshmallow as far as I know so not that bad at all. Could chop them up too to make it go further! Not sure why but chopped up stuff totally looks like there's more of it haha.

Sainsburys do some sugar free marshmellows which are only 5 calories each :smile: love themmm

Original post by Mark85
We had a few of these sachets at home - my favourite was the coconut. Check it out if you haven't already - very nice.

Thank you all for hot choc advice :biggrin: Much appreciated in this horrible weather, and I will definitely be finding some low cal marshmallows. I suppose low cal cream is a bit much to hope for haha I'll just leave that..

Original post by linney
Feeling a bit anxious about tonight. It's dad's bday so we're going out for a meal and a lot of the veggie options at places we've looked at are pasta which I can, in no way, eat with restraint.

I've eaten a slice of toast with some honey and an apple for breakfast and a big salad with peppers, tofu, roasted carrots and sweet potatoes, leaves, pinenuts, feta for lunch and am off to the gym for a 600ish burn so I should have about 1200 to play with. BLEH.

Don't want my diet to be ruined by my dads bday or my dads bday to be ruined by my diet!

If you have 1,200 calories, then to be honest I'd just order a meal. That's plenty, and even if you do go over it's only one day, so don't worry too much about it :smile:.

Maybe just get two courses rather than three.. so a starter and main, or main and dessert. That's what I do these days when I go out anyway.

--
Tonight's night in is now:

-Costco pizza (cheaper than Dom's).
-Baked Alaska B&Js.
-Options hot choc with low cal marshmallows.
-Love Actually.

LOVELY. :biggrin:

And I've exercised which means calorie wise it's not bad either.
Reply 997
Off to London for the day on friday with the boyfriend, can see it being a bad day food wise! Think I might have to make myself a packed lunch so I know what i'm eating isn't too bad calories/healthy wise, and tell my boyfriend he can have what ever unhealthy food he likes while we're out! :P Though I know we're having dinner out, might go for sushi, won't be *too* bad (and when I say sushi, I mean bento, as I don't like fish!)....fingers crossed!
I've decided that until christmas day I'm going to stick as close as I can to 1300 calories. I did this last year for a week when I went home and went from 11 10 to 11 4 in one week, I know of course that I didn't lose 6lbs of fat in a week but I weighed in at 11 3.4 today and I think a big drop like that which would put me into the 10s would really get me going again. It's been a long time since I've even had more than a 1lb loss in a week so I'm hoping this will kickstart it all again. Being in the 10s before 2013 would be so lovely!
Original post by Mark85
Didn't mean to come across like that. Just when you contradicted the point about burning calories and boosting metabolism - I just wanted to point out that that is the same thing in that context. Metabolic rate is essentially the rate at which we metabolise energy sources (including from food and internally). Thus increasing metabolic rate means using more energy i.e. burning more calories. Wasn't trying to put you down - just wanted to clarify.

The other point was that unless you are particularly interested - a lot of these matters are negligible from the point of view of wanting to lose weight so they aren't worth thinking about unless you are interested in the processes from ana academic point of view in which case, it is interesting to try to find out the substance behind a lot of the claims.

I think there was some misreading on my part too, thanks for clarifying since. Sorry. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest