The Student Room Group

Lies you will tell your children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silverbolt
cos your a paragon of etiquette and manners with posts like that :rolleyes:

tell me are you setting yourself up for a career as crazy cat lady who puts rat poison in kids trick or treat sweets at Halloween?

why, just because i dont want kids? :rolleyes:

moron.
Reply 41
Original post by tdawe
My most vivid memories of Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy as a child were pretending to believe so my parent's didn't feel bad. I also never believed in God... guess I was a skeptical child.

But belief in God is not like belief in santa, to be fair
Reply 42
Original post by glousck
oh shut the **** up you utter fun sponge, I know I'd have rather gone through my childhood knowing the tooth fairy, santa and the teletubbies were real rather than my parents saying 'no, teletubbies aren't real and me and your dad are the tooth fairy and father christmas'. If you bring your kids up like that in the future you are truly an ********. Childhood is a time for innocence, imagination and wonder. I remember when I was 5/6, lying in my bed on Christmas Eve night with a smile on my face and trying to listen to see if he'd come yet, then being happy that he'd enjoyed the mince pies we'd left him and that his reindeer had drunk ALL the milk we'd left out for them.

now you're older it's easy to be more bitter and cynical about these things but things like santa were an amazing part of childhood at the time, that he isn't real is irrelevant because it gave me so many good memories.

Exactly. I loved being a kid man. Spending christmas day playing pro evolution soccer with my older brother and his mates from uni was actually one of the best ways to have a christmas day. Now it's basically doom and gloom, I spend it going back from uni with my brother and my mum, my mum will be bitching about me not talking to her while I just spend christmas bored with my other brother while my older brothers have fun with their family and I can't go.
Original post by glousck
Cool, the job I'm in I can say hand on heart I love and would be ecstatic to be doing it until I'm 70. To tell a young child their life will be nothing but "you're born you work you die" - well I will reiterate on my earlier point, it's a good thing you won't be having children of your own. Like the other point I also stated, it's possible to go through childhood believing in fantasy and then mature and realise life isn't always milk and honey. I've done both and overall my life is pretty good. :smile:

Do your parents not like you? I'm just wondering why you're so bitter about life and children.

They do like me. They like me so much that I spent my entire childhood being told how beautiful, how smart, how clever, how intelligent I am, only to realise that anyone who isn't my parent would see me as ugly and stupid at best.
They spend their whole lives telling you you're wonderful, when really you're no different to anyone else.
I see no reason to make children believe that life is all "milk and honey" as you put it.
Reply 44
Original post by MrHappy_J
So youd rather kids weren't prepared for the hardships they'll inevitably have to face in adulthood?

You think they can't learn about those in their teens...? What good does killing the imagination of a young child who doesn't have to deal with those problems for 10 years achieve?

I believed in santa, easter bunny etc when I was a kid and it hasn't affected me being prepared for the hardships of the real world. What 'preparations' would you expect a child of 8 or so to go and do for the hardships of adulthood? Lighten the **** up
Original post by bm127
You think they can't learn about those in their teens...? What good does killing the imagination of a young child who doesn't have to deal with those problems for 10 years achieve?

I believed in santa, easter bunny etc when I was a kid and it hasn't affected me being prepared for the hardships of the real world. What 'preparations' would you expect a child of 8 or so to go and do for the hardships of adulthood? Lighten the **** up

lighten the **** up yourself.
Reply 46
Original post by Bude8
1. When I was a child, pink cows made strawberry milk, black/brown cows made chocolate milk, and white cows made normal milk.

I think your parents are racist. This was clearly an attempt to put you off chocolate milk (for your health) by associating it with the evil black people they kept talking about.
Original post by HalGuru
I think your parents are racist. This was clearly an attempt to put you off chocolate milk (for your health) by associating it with the evil black people they kept talking about.

lolol.
So youd rather kids weren't prepared for the hardships they'll inevitably have to face in adulthood?

yes, when i found out that carrots don't make you see in the dark it really damaged me as a person. I wasn't ready for the harsh reality of the truth :eek:
Reply 49
Original post by deedee123
yes, when i found out that carrots don't make you see in the dark it really damaged me as a person. I wasn't ready for the harsh reality of the truth :eek:

Come on. that really wasn't what she was on about
Original post by Cephalus
Come on. that really wasn't what she was on about

everything the OP mentioned was silly little things like that.
The moon is made of cheese
i was told drinking milk would make me whistle, it made me drink milk i suppose :tongue:
I thought this was gonna be more 'what bull**** fairytales/religious nonsense will you throw at them?' than 'what crap are you going to say to entertain them?'.

I lie to my cousins about all kinds of things all the time. It's good to have young kids question things. Questioning things, and lying, both seem indicative of and beneficial to cognitive abilities.

Original post by glousck
Really? You'd want to teach a toddler/young child about the harsh realities of life? Guess it's a good thing you won't be having kids then.

ZZzzzzzzz.

Because the internet and television don't exist. I remember quite well watching things on TV about Yugoslavia, Rwanda, etc. when I was about 4 or 5. I don't remember ever believing in Santa despite my parents playing that **** out with myself and my younger sister.

You seem to be thinking under the misguided impression that all kids are the same and all of them are entertained by the same things, making you no better than the guy you were criticizing.

Parents should try and make their kid's childhoods entertaining and enjoyable, which means responding to them as individuals, not some 'ideal' TV advert child that - for whatever reason - is still into bull**** like the Teletubbies when they're 10.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
lolol.

It's actually kind of worrying? People shouldn't be indoctrinating children like that.
Reply 55
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
When I worked at a supermarket, a 3 year old girl asked me how glitter is made, I told her they were fallen stars.

That's adorable :rolleyes:
Original post by HalGuru
It's actually kind of worrying? People shouldn't be indoctrinating children like that.

strawberry milk isn't much worse than chocolate milk so, no.
I'm defo telling my children santa and the tooth fairy exists!
Original post by HalGuru

I agree.

"Baa baa green sheep have you any wool..."
Your mother was the only one I did-the-do with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending