The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OP you must have never done it right, my advice to you is hit the local clubs in your area, at closing time when you see a girl, and no one else is about just chase her until she's running away, always make sure you're just behind her no matter how fast she's running. Guaranteed best night of your life.
personally the chase is the best part
Reply 42
Original post by Double Agent
Because like it or not we are genetically designed to desire and persue people we find attractive.

Who designed us, and if we are then why are we even debating this?

Personally I can't chase women just because they are hot, some guys can I can't, I guess I don't like to 'conquer' per se, but I like pleasing women who like to be pleased....hard to define the difference totally. I'm more submissive I suppose.
Original post by Dragonfly07
THANK YOU OP. My boyfriend has the exact same opinion as you and that was part of the reason I liked him so much.

If you refuse to chase women you might not be as lucky as my boyfriend to find someone who doesn't enjoy being tempted by advances, free food and gifts. But who knows, good luck.

That's a terrible way to chase women. I think "chase" is a bad word to use, because it does seem to imply you lavishing her with gifts and praise in the hope she might like you. Maybe "pursue" would be better, but that sounds a bit sinister. I don't think many would, but if any guys are reading this NEVER get a girl you aren't going out with gifts. She isn't a prostitute, this isn't a transaction of wealth for love.
Reply 44
Original post by Mankytoes
I don't think many would, but if any guys are reading this NEVER get a girl you aren't going out with gifts. She isn't a prostitute, this isn't a transaction of wealth for love.

Thanks for posting this. I've had that happen to me before and it was awkward. It didn't feel genuine 'cause I knew he wanted to date me. I thought, "what do I do in return? Go out with him?". It was really off-putting and it felt like he was trying to buy my affection.
Original post by Lucia.
Thanks for posting this. I've had that happen to me before and it was awkward. It didn't feel genuine 'cause I knew he wanted to date me. I thought, "what do I do in return? Go out with him?". It was really off-putting and it felt like he was trying to buy my affection.

Exactly, this is kinda linked to the whole "nice guy" thing, is it really charming to try and buy a girls affection? It's hardly a solid way to start a relationship.

If you are chasing a girl, all you should really be doing is texting her semi-regularly and seeing her casually, grand gestures are for films.
Reply 46
Original post by cul-de-sac
ma bf says most guysare dumb and silly beacause they think that we as girls, ourlooks are very important. guys by convention go for pretty girls.but the truth is if we have smelly or weird tasting vaginAs then noguy would like us. so ifyou think youare pretty well good on ya. i rather have my orifice smelling and taskting nice and yummy.

:K:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Mankytoes
Exactly, this is kinda linked to the whole "nice guy" thing, is it really charming to try and buy a girls affection? It's hardly a solid way to start a relationship.

If you are chasing a girl, all you should really be doing is texting her semi-regularly and seeing her casually, grand gestures are for films.

I also feel that when a guy does that he's putting me in a submissive position i.e. not treating me as an equal, so it makes me edgy because of that too. I find it hard to be patient with nice guys even when they seem to have good intentions because their behaviour towards me seems to suggest to me that they think I'm beneath them.

It's really insincere for a guy to do a grand gesture when you hardly know him. It feels like he's focussed on the prize rather than you. And yeah I'm a human being, not a cum receptacle.

A couple of years ago this guy was really into me and I was willing to give him a chance even though I wasn't sure ('cause I'm not a bitch). But he blew his chances because he'd buy me things and it'd make me feel uncomfortable and when we met up to spend the evening together and I asked him where we were going to do, he said "wherever you want to go". For him it was 'being nice' but I was quite insulted because I hate to meet up with a guy only to find out that he's made no effort whatsoever to plan what we're doing.

haha yeah I'm really getting into this but it just irritates me so much that I can't help it :p:
I will never, ever pursue a man. If he likes me enough then he will come after me, simple. Unfortunately it's how things work.
Reply 49
Original post by llessur123
I will never, ever pursue a man. If he likes me enough then he will come after me, simple. Unfortunately it's how things work.

Good luck with that. You might change your mind when you are 40 and alone.
Reply 50
Original post by llessur123

I agree. I'm not sacrificing my dignity for some guy's ego.
Reply 51
Original post by Lucia.
I agree. I'm not sacrificing my dignity for some guy's ego.

But what's special about you? I'm not saying you should 'chase' per se, but why this kind of refusnik pride about 'Oh I shouldn't have to make the effort'? 'I'm female'? It's like you resent men and will reluctantly accommodate them if they get on one knee and debase themselves?

Just saying. There's lots of old lonely women who were full of pride when they were young.
Reply 52
Original post by snozzle
But what's special about you? I'm not saying you should 'chase' per se, but why this kind of refusnik pride about 'Oh I shouldn't have to make the effort'? 'I'm female'? It's like you resent men and will reluctantly accommodate them if they get on one knee and debase themselves?

Just saying. There's lots of old lonely women who were full of pride when they were young.

Nope you read me wrong and I can't be bothered responding to you if you should insult me by making assumptions about my character. Try some empathy. Try putting yourself in a woman's shoes for once. I'm sorry your past experiences with women have turned you into a whiny bitch but I won't be the focus for your aggression.

My point is that when men say women should chase men, they're not thinking in the woman's interest. It's about how they feel. Chasing does not work for me as an individual. I don't like wearing the trousers when I'm being courted. This is me. Other women have their own opinions.

Chasing a man would mean the loss of my self-respect. Smiling and initiating conversation and flirting is fine. But I won't EVER chase a man.
Reply 53
Original post by Lucia.
Nope you read me wrong and I can't be bothered responding to you if you should insult me by making assumptions about my character. Try some empathy. Try putting yourself in a woman's shoes for once. I'm sorry your past experiences with women have turned you into a whiny bitch but I won't be the focus for your aggression.

My point is that when men say women should chase men, they're not thinking in the woman's interest. It's about how they feel. Chasing does not work for me as an individual. I don't like wearing the trousers when I'm being courted. This is me. Other women have their own opinions.

Chasing a man would mean the loss of my self-respect. Smiling and initiating conversation and flirting is fine. But I won't EVER chase a man.

That's not what you said earlier.

Original post by Lucia.
I'm not sacrificing my dignity for some guy's ego.

There isn't any reason why chasing should harm your dignity or bolster a guys ego. You were making it into a moral precept that women shouldn't chase. In the real world some guys will appreciate this and like women for it - rather than "just love having their ego bolstered" - they need women to draw them out.

The problem is that because being chased by a guy bolsters your ego you assume the inverse.

Not everyone is that shallow and self-centered.
It's chase or be chaste, I'm afraid.
Reply 55
Original post by Lucia.

Why don't you take your own advice and try some empathy, and put yourself in a man's shoes for once? Oh that's right, you already said that you'd never do it ("But I won't EVER chase a man."). Hypocrite.

"I'm not sacrificing my dignity for some guy's ego." So men should sacrifice their dignity for your ego? Got it. Hypocrite.

Women only want equality when it suits them. They want all of the benefits of equality but none of the obligations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by word2yamother
I refuse to chase women because I want to preserve my 100% no rejection record :cool:

Likewise, I refuse to chase women because I don't want my rejection record to get higher than 70%.
Reply 57
Reading this thread again I'm starting to think that both genders really need to get over themselves and just approach the people they find attractive/interesting. Whether you're male or female.
Reply 58
Sigh... Women are happy for guys to chase after them but more often than not they refuse to iniate anything. I suppose they may see it as a rejection if a guy goes for their friend rather than themself. The OP made some good points about relationships forming through friendship, that does happen often but you get stuck up girls like "millie" claiming that the OP is probably ugly. Do women get offended because guys don't wish to put women on a pedestal?
Reply 59
Original post by Rock Fan
A bit of chase is fun but when they carry on playing hard to get I then just get bored and go elsewhere.

I think this is a good point.

A little bit of 'chase' is fine and usually needed (even in friendships which grow there's an element on one person pursuing the other) but when one of the people takes it as a game and prolongs it for the sake of their own entertainment then it's not worth it.

As always, openness and honesty is the way forward.

Latest

Trending

Trending