The Student Room Group

In One Ear's Strong Lifts blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Want to see what progress is like if I do train every day and whether I experience "overtraining".

Will aim to do slightly less per session (ie 1-2 main exercises 1-4 assists) but keep it up everyday.
You probably will overreach, but then bounce back nicely after you back off a bit.
Original post by In One Ear
Want to see what progress is like if I do train every day and whether I experience "overtraining".

Will aim to do slightly less per session (ie 1-2 main exercises 1-4 assists) but keep it up everyday.

Yeah if you reduce the overall workload you can do it, although IMO you could save time in the gym and just do the standard 3 days. It's a matter of convenience.

I've trained daily for a month last ramadhan with workouts 45 min long. This was fully fasted (17-18 hours of no food or drink) and my lifts increased slightly. In terms of over training, I felt nothing. I'll be doing this again in a couple of months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
@Jtking Yeah I'm suspecting something like this might happen. Believe I read somewhere that professional athletes often deliberately over train a short period before a competition then they back off and rest and the body overcompensates when it recovers leading to increased strength/performance.

@Ninja

That's interesting to know. I'm mainly trying this now because (a) I'm at uni and its easy for me to get to the gym and (b) I haven't been making a lot of progress recently (even going backwards in OHP).

Figure its worth it as an experiment at least for a couple of weeks. Worst thing comes to pass and I do "overtrain" then I can just rest a few days and carry on as normal.
I think you'll be fine. You just need to find the right balance. Doing maximum deadlift or squat efforts everyday is clearly not possible. Something in the middle and managing your workload should be okay, such as not blasting your shoulders the day before benching.. HFerguson trains everyday if I am not mistaken.

It's easier to go the the gym more often than have 1 or 2 day breaks. It's like stop-start. You could always have 'rest' days where you only work on mobility and stretching, foam rolling, yoga whatever. Elliot Hulse calls it "bioenergetics" and it does increase your energy and aid recovery. IMO this is more beneficial than adding more lifting days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by silent ninja
I think you'll be fine. You just need to find the right balance. Doing maximum deadlift or squat efforts everyday is clearly not possible. Something in the middle and managing your workload should be okay, such as not blasting your shoulders the day before benching.. HFerguson trains everyday if I am not mistaken.

It's easier to go the the gym more often than have 1 or 2 day breaks. It's like stop-start. You could always have 'rest' days where you only work on mobility and stretching, foam rolling, yoga whatever. Elliot Hulse calls it "bioenergetics" and it does increase your energy and aid recovery. IMO this is more beneficial than adding more lifting days.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hferg trains daily but does a typical split so doesn't train the same muscle group again without at least a day's rest. On the other hand I'm going to experiment with training quite often the same muscle group (ie as a minimum "greasing the groove" such as you are doing with the daily OHP).

Agree with the bolded. Actually have considered joining a yoga class or something. One of my flatmates expressed interest so I might try out a class with him next week.
Reply 186
Oops already failed with going to the gym everyday. Did some press-ups and situps yesterday instead as some sort of mini compensation.

Today:

OHP
20kg 10
30kg 5
40kg 5
52.5kg 5,4,3

BTN press
30kg 8,8,8

I'm a lot weaker behind the neck- this was tough, is that normal or is it just because I never train behind the neck?

OHP
40kg 5,5

High bar squats
40kg 5,5
60kg 5
70kg 5
80kg 5
85kg 3
90kg 1

Wide grip bench press
40kg 10

supet set into

close grip bench press
40kg 10 Fuaark last few reps were hard (literally had no rest so it was 20 reps straight)

Wide grip again
40kg 10,10

close grip
40kg 8,9

Nice short rests BB style.

Curls
14kg Dbs 8
oly bar 20
10k Dbs 8

1 hour yoga

Dips
BW+15kg 10
Oops already failed with going to the gym everyday. Did some press-ups and situps yesterday instead as some sort of mini compensation.

Today:

OHP
20kg 10
30kg 5
40kg 5
52.5kg 5,4,3

BTN press
30kg 8,8,8

I'm a lot weaker behind the neck- this was tough, is that normal or is it just because I never train behind the neck?

OHP
40kg 5,5

High bar squats
40kg 5,5
60kg 5
70kg 5
80kg 5
85kg 3
90kg 1

Wide grip bench press
40kg 10

supet set into

close grip bench press
40kg 10 Fuaark last few reps were hard (literally had no rest so it was 20 reps straight)

Wide grip again
40kg 10,10

close grip
40kg 8,9

Nice short rests BB style.

Curls
14kg Dbs 8
oly bar 20
10k Dbs 8

1 hour yoga

Dips
BW+15kg 10

lol how was yoga? Did you get in touch with your inner self? :wink:
Reply 188
Original post by AreebWithaHat
lol how was yoga? Did you get in touch with your inner self? :wink:

Haha, yoga was okay. I wasn't the only guy (besides my two flatmates who I'm not counting)- there was a really old guy and one other one around my age (oh and the instructor was male).

I was visibly sweating and shaking in a couple of the positions since I went to it straight after my workout (had one or two near cramp situations but they were skilfully averted :cool:) but I told myself if all these petite girls can hold the positions then so can I!

Seriously though all the girls there (bar one) were ridiculously skinny! The Asian girl in front of me was depressingly good at everything but having taken one look at her I knew in advance that would be the case. Still she had a really hot body (and face) and I had a good view so I was complaining :wink:.

Best part was at the end when I got to lie down and the instructor tells you to relax your body starting from the toes and working up muscle by muscle and then you just lie there. I wanted to go to sleep when it was over and he said to sit back up.
Reply 189
Today:

Bench press
20kg 10
40kg 5
50kg 5
62.5kg 5,5,5,5,5
70kg 1,1
72.5kg 1
75kg 1
77.5kg 1
80kg 1 ugly (pb)
60kg 10 last rep ugly but I really wanted 10!

Feel like my bench technique is really inconsistent and pretty ****.

High bar squats
40kg 5,5
60kg 5
70kg 5
80kg 5

Felt really stiff today and wasn't squatting efficiently/properly so I stopped.

calf raises
60kg 25,25,25,25

OHP
42.5kg 5,5,5
"greasing the groove"

Power cleans
42.5kg 5
60kg 3,3,3
65kg 3

Bent over barbell rows
60kg 5,5,5

side lateral raises
rear lateral raises

facepulls
35kg 15,15
(edited 10 years ago)
Today:

Bench press
20kg 10
40kg 5
50kg 5
62.5kg 5,5,5,5,5
70kg 1,1
72.5kg 1
75kg 1
77.5kg 1
80kg 1 ugly (pb)
60kg 10 last rep ugly but I really wanted 10!

Feel like my bench technique is really inconsistent and pretty ****.

High bar squats
40kg 5,5
60kg 5
70kg 5
80kg 5

Felt really stiff today and wasn't squatting efficiently/properly so I stopped.

calf raises
60kg 25,25,25,25

OHP
42.5kg 5,5,5
"greasing the groove"

Power cleans
42.5kg 5
60kg 3,3,3
65kg 3

Bent over barbell rows
60kg 5,5,5

side lateral raises
rear lateral raises

facepulls
35kg 15,15

What do you feel is wrong with your technique? Also nice PB, you seem to be better at single than repping it out!
Reply 191
What do you feel is wrong with your technique? Also nice PB, you seem to be better at single than repping it out!

Yeah my bench repping is particularly poor- its just that at the lowest couple of inches I really lose all my power and so get "stuck" even though I have quite a lot of energy left.

IDK I just feel that I'm unstable, don't quite use my arms evenly, am inconsistent in where I lower the bar on my chest and so forth. A 80kg 1RM probably means I should be able to do ~70kg*5 but I doubt I'd make it. You are at 70kg for a few sets of five right? Bet your 1RM is close to 85kg!
Yeah my bench repping is particularly poor- its just that at the lowest couple of inches I really lose all my power and so get "stuck" even though I have quite a lot of energy left.

IDK I just feel that I'm unstable, don't quite use my arms evenly, am inconsistent in where I lower the bar on my chest and so forth. A 80kg 1RM probably means I should be able to do ~70kg*5 but I doubt I'd make it. You are at 70kg for a few sets of five right? Bet your 1RM is close to 85kg!

I have 70 for 3x5 atm, that fourth set has ****ed me up 3 times in a row, I'm going to give it one more shot next week before either going down to 67.3 or up to 72.3 and going for 3x5 instead. And 85kg would be a bit optimistic, hopefully I could get 80kg :tongue:
Reply 193
I have 70 for 3x5 atm, that fourth set has ****ed me up 3 times in a row, I'm going to give it one more shot next week before either going down to 67.3 or up to 72.3 and going for 3x5 instead. And 85kg would be a bit optimistic, hopefully I could get 80kg :tongue:

I think you could get 80kg and a bit more :tongue:. I certainly don't think I'd quite get 70*5, maybe 70*4 idk.

Today:

OHP
20kg 10
30kg 5
40kg 5
52.5kg 5,5,4f,4f,4f Damn it! Still nearly back to my old max strength since my best was 52.5kg 5x5 or 55kg 5 (just).
40kg 10,5

BTN press
30kg 8,8,8

Deadlift
60kg 5,5
100kg 5
120kg 5
140kg 5

Curls
ez bar+12.5kg 10,10
+20kg 10,10,5

Quick session as I only just got to the gym and it was closing by the time I finished my DLs...
Reply 194
Today:

Bench press
20kg 10
40kg 5
50kg 5
65kg 5,5,5,5,5
70kg 6 (pb)
75kg 1
77.5kg 1
80kg 1 (easy)
82.5kg 1 (pb)
60kg 11 (pb)

Bent over barbell rows
50kg 10,10,10

Calf raises
60kg 25,25,25,25

rear lateral raises
side lateral raises

left arm only bicep curls
14kg Db*10
Reply 195
Lol so you'd think going at 1 hour before the gym closes on a bank holiday might ensure a little peace and quiet, right? NOPE LOL, absolutely packed couldn't even do what I wanted for ages so did something else!

Today:

Clean and strict press (40kg) - toes to bar
3-3
6-6
9-9
12-12
15-15
18-18

Didn't time it but it took me something disgusting like half an hour because at the start I was working around someone and I really suck at toes to bar- couldn't hold onto the bar with my sweaty hands (need chalk next time) so the last two sets (15 and 18) took fooooorever lolz.

High bar squat

40kg 5,5
60kg 5
70kg 5
80kg 5
90kg 1

Left arm only bicep curlzz
12kg 15
10kg 10,8

Gym closed :frown:.
Reply 196
Today:

OHP
20kg 10
30kg 5
40kg 5
52.5kg 5,5,5,5,5 Holy **** finally took its time to get strength back. Was fine until last rep of last set which was a monster grind.
40kg 5,5 **** felt heavy after the grind lol.

High bar squats
40kg 5,5
60kg 5
70kg 5
80kg 5
85kg 3
90kg 2
95kg 1

calf raises
60kg 25,25,25,25

Dumbbell rows
32kg Dbs 8,8

left arm only curls and presses

Upright barbell rows (25kg) 12,12,12

smith bench press light weight false grip guillotine press 3x to failure

rear lat raises

some hanging leg raises, floor leg raises, then normal crunches.

Dude the amount of people on dat dere Robinson's fruit juice at my gym is insane (even guys who are only moderately muscular even being on that especially tasty juice beginning with Tr...).

Dude the amount of people on dat dere Robinson's fruit juice at my gym is insane (even guys who are only moderately muscular even being on that especially tasty juice beginning with Tr...).

:laugh: Never heard dat dere Robinson's fruit juice before. Love it.
Reply 198
Original post by Jtking3000
:laugh: Never heard dat dere Robinson's fruit juice before. Love it.

Shamelessly ripped off Areeb I'm afraid :laugh:.
Shamelessly ripped off Areeb I'm afraid :laugh:.

LMAO! Don't worry I ripped it off someone else too :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest