The Student Room Group

UCAS and IELTS still to take

OK, here's my problem...
I'm in the process of applying through UCAS but I haven't taken my IELTS yet and I am sure it won't happen before April or May 2013.
What do I have to do? Just not mention anything about that and wait for conditional offers from the universities I am applying to or should I mention that in my personal statement?
I don't know what to enter in the education section, where I cannot even select year 2013...

Thanks!
Reply 1
You can't enter it in the education section as you haven't declared yourself in education in 2013. You need to enter the centre details in order to do that.

It would be best to book your IELTS before sending your UCAS application, as then you can enter all the details fully. But if you can't or don't want to then get your referee to mention it or mention it in your personal statement. If you don't mention IELTS at all you'll be rejected for not meeting the entry requirements - they can't give you a conditional offer asking for something you're not planning to take.
Reply 2
Well I was in the same position. Im planning to take the IELTS exams on January but I send my app on November. Well what I did was mention the IELTS at the qualifications section as pending so the universities are going to know that I intend to take the exams even if I haven't book a date yet... So I did not add any kind of details (exam center etc). Just pending. I received 4 offers so far and 3 of them required to send them the results before 31 of August. And as long as I know thats how it works with almost every uni. Best wishes :smile:
Reply 3
Do all international students need to take IELTS?
Reply 4
Original post by JackTeh96
Do all international students need to take IELTS?

It will depend on the university. But if English is not your first language you will need some qualification to prove your proficiency. An alternative test you may wish to take is the TOEFL.
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
It will depend on the university. But if English is not your first language you will need some qualification to prove your proficiency. An alternative test you may wish to take is the TOEFL.

Can i take IGCSE English as a first language instead?
Reply 6
Original post by JackTeh96
Can i take IGCSE English as a first language instead?

It would depend on the university. But it's a different type of qualification so may not be accepted by all.
Reply 7
OK, this is what I've done:
I have put in my application "British Council Italia" as centre, then I entered IELTS and all 4 the modules as pending with qualification date as December 2012 simply because 2013 is not available yet. I will edit it in January right before sending the application.
I selected April-May 2013 full-time attendance.

Hope it'll be fine...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending