Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
*dave*
So? Any news??

Nope. Ive decided not to waste my energy thinking about it, ive got much more productive things that i could be doing :biggrin: The longer they are taking the less i am beginning to care. Ive not enjoyed my experience of the UCAS Law Lottery at all and am looking forward to when it is all over :rolleyes:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 61
Ladyluck
Nope. Ive decided not to waste my energy thinking about it, ive got much more productive things that i could be doing :biggrin: The longer they are taking the less i am beginning to care. Ive not enjoyed my experience of the UCAS Law Lottery at all and am looking forward to when it is all over :rolleyes:

STILL NOT!!!!!! Don't worry....it's coming....i can tell....plus....the offers are starting to come through now....so you're in with a good chance!!!! :smile:

G
Reply 62
gzftan
STILL NOT!!!!!! Don't worry....it's coming....i can tell....plus....the offers are starting to come through now....so you're in with a good chance!!!! :smile:

G

You make me laugh! :tongue:

Im not even sure i want to do law anymore, this whole deathly competitive thing scares me. Nobody at the test day spoke and was being really edgy, im just dreading september at whatever uni i end up at, are they all gonna be like that all year? AARGH!
Reply 63
Ladyluck
You make me laugh! :tongue:

Im not even sure i want to do law anymore, this whole deathly competitive thing scares me. Nobody at the test day spoke and was being really edgy, im just dreading september at whatever uni i end up at, are they all gonna be like that all year? AARGH!

The only reason everyone else was edgy was cos they were all bricking it!!!!!! Lol!! I'm sure everyone's really friendly....i chatted with a few ppl at my cambridge interview...and they seemed really nice....but i never even got their names!!! :tongue:

Of course you want to do law!!!! It's the best subject in the whole universe!!!!!! :biggrin: Just imagine yourself sitting in court with a little hammer.....but all that power!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just out of interest....any ideas about career after law degree at this moment in time...??

G
Reply 64
gzftan
The only reason everyone else was edgy was cos they were all bricking it!!!!!! Lol!! I'm sure everyone's really friendly....i chatted with a few ppl at my cambridge interview...and they seemed really nice....but i never even got their names!!! :tongue:

Of course you want to do law!!!! It's the best subject in the whole universe!!!!!! :biggrin: Just imagine yourself sitting in court with a little hammer.....but all that power!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just out of interest....any ideas about career after law degree at this moment in time...??

G

Seriously not interested in the most highly paid area, (dont even know what it is?!) I just want a challenging job, that is varied, some office, some external work, and that is rewarding. Geez that sounds cheesy.
Barrister = No, i dont like the adversarial system, if it was inquisitoral then maybe.
I quite fancy something with the CPS in prosecution working with the police. Getting criminals the sentence they deserve.

I did work exp in local government which was really good. We did some environmental heath bits, getting witness statements and preparing a case against a guy who was running a dodgy fish stall. Its was only minor stuff but nevertheless quite enjoyable!

How about you?
*dave*
So? Any news??

Couldn't find this thread last night, so started another one... whoops!

They wrote to say i'm in yesterday, but haven't specified the offer yet.
Reply 66
Ladyluck
I did work exp in local government which was really good. We did some environmental heath bits, getting witness statements and preparing a case against a guy who was running a dodgy fish stall. Its was only minor stuff but nevertheless quite enjoyable!

How about you?

Sounds like fun...i had to loads of photocopying and the odd bit filing in a solicitors firm....:frown:..but i did get to write up a damage assessment for a flat which was quite cool!

I used to want to be a barrister...maybe eventually a judge....but at the moment..i'm leaning more towards being a solicitor...cos i enjoy working closely with other people/clients and representing their best interests.

I do quite like the whole idea of of prosecuting criminals though....so i just don't know yet!!!!! :eek:

I've got time to decide though!!!! :tongue:

G
Reply 67
teamvillage

Yeh..well done again mate....i already said it on the other thread..but i'll say it again!!!:smile: Is the standard offer AAA or AAB???

G
Reply 68
teamvillage

Wahey! well done on your acceptance...hope the offer is reasonable! When did you do the test? Were you just going for straight law?

gzftan and i seem to have hijacked this thread a bit, but hey its relevant!

Gzftan - im sure you could easily be a judge with a cambridge background! something like 80% of judges went to oxbridge! Just dont say anything untoward in court tho' else it will be in text books for generations to come!
Reply 69
gzftan
Yeh..well done again mate....i already said it on the other thread..but i'll say it again!!!:smile: Is the standard offer AAA or AAB???

G

in the prospectus it says AAB. wierd that the birmingham standard offer for straight law is AAA and nottingham is supposedly better for law?
Reply 70
Ladyluck
gzftan and i seem to have hijacked this thread a bit, but hey its relevant!

Gzftan - im sure you could easily be a judge with a cambridge background! something like 80% of judges went to oxbridge! Just dont say anything untoward in court tho' else it will be in text books for generations to come!

Meh! It's our thread now!!!!!! hehe!!! :tongue:

I do hope i have that option later in life!! It's just i don't know yet whether being a judge is right for me....i do like the idea of it though!!! :tongue:

G
Reply 71
gzftan
Meh! It's our thread now!!!!!! hehe!!! :tongue:

I do hope i have that option later in life!! It's just i don't know yet whether being a judge is right for me....i do like the idea of it though!!! :tongue:

G

When we've been to sit in at crown couts, i just love the way that the judge seems to humiliate the barristers, its not very nice and im sure they do it to please the audience, but it totaly put me off!
Reply 72
Ladyluck
When we've been to sit in at crown couts, i just love the way that the judge seems to humiliate the barristers, its not very nice and im sure they do it to please the audience, but it totaly put me off!

Haha!!! Sounds like more of a circus.....reference to 'Chicago'...

G
gzftan
Haha!!! Sounds like more of a circus.....reference to 'Chicago'...

G

Haha.. sittng in on a case i once saw a judge scare the absolute life out of some boys for mugging an old lady and injuring her. Justice!
Anyone else hear about the US judge who has a tendency to sentence youths convicted of anti-social behaviour offences to a night at the Opera??
Reply 75
That sounds like an opening line to a joke!

Well.. ??? What happened next..?? :smile:
Wings
That sounds like an opening line to a joke!

Well.. ??? What happened next..?? :smile:

Nope... it's honestly true... will try and find the bbc news article in just a sec...
Punishing noisy drivers with... opera
US drivers who blast their stereos too loudly can expect an earful when hauled to court.

And if they land in the courtroom of Miami Judge Jeffrey Swartz, they will face the music by listening to some opera.

Offenders who agree to sit in Mr Swartz's chambers and listen to his favourite operas can have their case dismissed. They can also avoid paying the US$460 fine and court costs.

Mr Swartz's philosophy is simple: 'You impose your music on me, and I'm going to impose my music on you.'

Most offenders for noise violations are young men stopped with customised car stereos blasting out rap and hip-hop music, reported The Times.

Mr Swartz came up with the unusual punishment after stopping at a red light next to a car playing music so loud that 'my car windows were rattling, I could hear the bolts loosening in the engine well'.

This week Mr Swartz had two volunteers for trial by opera.

He told Mr Gene Tary, 23: 'You're a lucky man, you're going to be listening to La Traviata.'

'Never heard of it,' said Mr Tary. Then he quickly added: 'But it sounds good.'

Mr Joseph Puerto, his companion in the punishment box, said that he was no opera buff, but La Traviata had to be better than a US$460 fine.

'The only time I heard opera before was in a James Bond movie, and that was only for about two seconds,' he said.

Mr Swartz, 54, does not choose his opera specifically to fit the crime.

Instead, he is inspired by what is playing at the Florida Grand Opera.

It does not matter if the offenders enjoy the punishment or not.

'They either get to appreciate some culture, or it drives them up the wall. It's a win-win situation,' he said.

He does make exceptions.

Verdi's Macbeth is out - 'too depressing'.

He also refuses to play Bizet's Carmen - 'they'd take to that too easily'.
Crazy americans!!

You never said when you did your law test and what law is it for? did you get tempted by the american and australian law course with a year in the sun!?
sorry, did test on Thurs 19 and for straight law, though VERY tempted by year in Australian sun!!

Latest

Trending

Trending