The Student Room Group

Would a uni reject you straight away or wait ?

The deadline is January 15th,if a uni were going to reject you would they just reject you straight away(if you didnt meet requirements or personal statement issues etc..) or would they wait until after the deadline to make a decision?

It's probably a stupid question to ask..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I sent my application off on the 29th of November and had a rejection from Birmingham City 3 days later (maybe 4). Liverpool John Moores gave me 2 conditionals the day before that being said so really it depends on how quickly they get through them.

I got rejected because my GCSE grades for English and Maths weren't at a C when I applied. I explained I was resitting and very likely to achieve these and they just said "Tough, you can try again in clearing but as far as we're concerned you should have a C in Maths and English, it isn't difficult".

Dick.

Edit: Why the neg for telling the truth? ********.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I've received notifications from each uni I applied to saying they received my application a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since then.I just figured that if they didn't consider you to be suitable they would be quick in rejecting you.
Original post by OddThings
The deadline is January 15th,if a uni were going to reject you would they just reject you straight away(if you didnt meet requirements or personal statement issues etc..) or would they wait until after the deadline to make a decision?

I know it would differ from uni to uni but as a general rule..

How can there be a general rule if every University is different?

There is no way of giving a general rule, some Universities will immediately reject any applications that come in with predicted grades below a certain boundary, some will reject any applications that come in after a certain date, some will wait till the UCAS deadline before considering any application, there are far too many different approaches to give a "general rule".
Reply 4
It depends on the uni. Some unis won't review any applications until after January 15th.

Or they may think that you're borderline and want to review other applications before definitely rejecting you.

Or they may have some kind of filtering policy and immediately reject any applications that do not meet that - eg certain predicted grades needed or certain results in GCSEs.
Reply 5
If you didn't have the required GSCES, AS grades, or other test they want then you'd probably be rejected straight away.

If it was to do with the personal statement which isn't as objective it could take longer but Unis can give out offers or rejections before the deadline.
Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies,there is of course no general rule,silly of me to think of that,I just need to wait and see,I just thought it is so torturous you might have to wait until January onward just to be rejected..I thought if they didn't want you they just rejected you as soon as possible to concentrate on other better applicants.
Reply 7
I got rejected 8 weeks after my application went off for apparently not meeting requirements...(though I do, so need to ring up but I can't get through to admissions! :smile:) so it does vary! Its horrible waiting so long to hear :') They are the first uni to get back to me as well! :P
It varies, I had all of mine back within a month of applying. 4 rejections, one offer. You never no how quick unis will be. First rejection was within 4 days of application. Last one was last week. My offer was quick as well just over a week.
Reply 9
as others have said it depends on the uni and their policy towards applicants, some process them as they receive them, some do them in batches and some just leave them till the deadlines passed untill making a decision. It really depends on the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending