The Student Room Group

2nd year and 3rd year weightings?

Hi all,

Wondered how your university weighted your 2nd year (level 5) and 3rd year (level 6) in terms of your degree. I'm sitting on an academic review committee and looking at the weighting.

Reason I ask is both the uni's i've work at/attended have done:
2nd year: 20% with 105/120 credits
3rd year: 80% with 105/120 credits

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
3rd year was worth twice as much as 2nd year - modules with lowest marks didn't count (one bad module for each year), so basically 100/120 credits for each year counted (the remaining modules had to be pass marks though)
Reply 2
Original post by clareramos
Hi all,

Wondered how your university weighted your 2nd year (level 5) and 3rd year (level 6) in terms of your degree. I'm sitting on an academic review committee and looking at the weighting.

Reason I ask is both the uni's i've work at/attended have done:
2nd year: 20% with 105/120 credits

at my uni its 50-50 for some courses (mostly arts) and 40-60 for others (mostly sciences) for the 3 year courses. Most of the four year courses are 40-0-60.
(edited 11 years ago)
mines around 38:62
Reply 4
It can either be 50/50 or third year worth twice that of second year.
Reply 5
40/60
Reply 6
Mine is also 40:60. That's Maths at UEA, but some of the other courses do it differently.
Reply 7
Original post by kpwxx
Mine is also 40:60. That's Maths at UEA, but some of the other courses do it differently.

think its 50:50 atm for most 3 year degrees but they are changing it starting from the next years intake
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
120 level 4 credits (1st year) = 1/9 of overall weighting

then 2nd and 3rd year modules are both assessed as level 6.
the highest 90 credits out of level 6 = 5/9 of overall weighting
remaining level 6 credits = 1/3 of overall weighting
Three ways:

40%/60%
3rd year counted for 100%
or the weird and very rarely used method of 120 credits at 2.1 with a min of 60 credits being final year being 2.1 you would get a 2.1. Normally either average would get you above the mark of whichever 120 credit classification you got.
My 4 year Civil Engineering MEng course is weighted 20-40-40 between 2nd, 3rd and 4th year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Ours was 50/50.

But they did also have the thing where if you get a certain amount of credits over a First, you could get a First with 65% instead.
25:75 for 2nd:Final year for us!
Reply 13
Whats my chance of degree if my second year is worth 40% with an average of 40% and my final year is worth 60% and a high 2:2 to 2:1 is achievable. Besides, is it regular that university would uncap resist marks from second year when determining degree classification plus I have a concessionary appeal pending?
Nottingham for English it is 40:60.

I would like 10:30:60
Reply 15
20:80

someone posted a link to a paper about this about the time I joined iirc.

I think there was even more disparity in late marking for missed deadlines. Some places docked a %age per day late whereas I was instacapped at 40% even for a few minutes over.
Mines either 30:70 or 33: 67 but I can't remember which
50:50 for my course (humanities).
Original post by Joinedup
20:80

someone posted a link to a paper about this about the time I joined iirc.

I think there was even more disparity in late marking for missed deadlines. Some places docked a %age per day late whereas I was instacapped at 40% even for a few minutes over.

Last year my department had a 5 marks drop per day the essay was not handed in after deadline. This year, to make the marking more uniform for the whole of the university and conform to the sciences, we have a 0% policy a minute after deadline. :s-smilie:
Pretty sure mine's 40:60 (biology) no idea if the humanities are any different here though.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending