The Student Room Group

Slowbro93's path to a healthy wellbeing

Scroll to see replies

So I'm currently down to 90.2kg. I suspect that last weeks weigh in may have shown a fluctuation, however I'm going down overall, not staving myself (I'm eating a lot more nutrient dense food!) and seeing my general fitness improve!
Update :smile:

So I've been able to get down to 87.5kg :biggrin:

That means since December, I've gone down by 7 and a half kg :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93

Nice work Craig. You're going to be less than me soon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done man, solid progress.

Great job man, you must be feeling really pleased with yourself! :smile:

Have you got a target end weight?
Original post by Sae.HH
Well done man, solid progress.

Original post by Angry cucumber

Original post by Motorbiker
Nice work Craig. You're going to be less than me soon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you all :h:

Original post by In One Ear
Great job man, you must be feeling really pleased with yourself! :smile:

Have you got a target end weight?

Cheers :smile: So at this point, I want to say 80kg. However, I've found that whenever I give myself a goal, I find that I fall off track :lol:
So good news, found out that I passed my light blue belt grading! 5 hours of hell and it paid off! :biggrin:
Current stats:

Weight: 86.7kg
Hip length: 87cm
Waist: 90cm

Back in January:

Weight: 94.7kg
Hip length: 90cm
Waist: 99cm

That and improved fitness has meant that I may actually summer goals :tongue: Aim for the summer is to hit 80kg :smile:
Current stats:

Weight: 86.7kg
Hip length: 87cm
Waist: 90cm

Back in January:

Weight: 94.7kg
Hip length: 90cm
Waist: 99cm

That and improved fitness has meant that I may actually summer goals :tongue: Aim for the summer is to hit 80kg :smile:

Very nice weight loss.

And waist. That's an important measurement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Very nice weight loss.

And waist. That's an important measurement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :smile: Now I'm hoping that because I did it at a slower rate, that is will actually stick this time!
Going to update this a little bit more, now that I'm back to the gym business.

Only planning a couple sessions a week (because realistically, training in the gym, as well as 4 days a week Jitsu and PhD all at once, will end in disaster!)

Today, got to 70x5 squats and 65x4 bench press. Given that I've not done weights for almost 2 years, I'm surprised I still have some strength!

The plan is to keep going and see where I end up at Christmas.

Also, weight is sitting at 89.4kg. Looking at brining that down too :smile:
Squats: 5x80
Bench press: 5x70
Lats: 5x68

There were lead up measurements, but forgot to record them!
Well. This is a post I never thought I'd make, but here we are.

Anyways, for those who are still in the fitness area and somehow are still around, hello. For those who are new and want to read content that went from over 10 years, hi I guess?

I'm writing this mostly because when I wrote this blog 9 years ago, I did it with the intention of me losing weight, gaining muscle and keeping the weight off. Rather than me doing a full monologue, I'll just summarise what happened:

End of 2012: Had a BMI of over 33, was over 100 kg, realised that I needed to probably make a change
Beginning of 2013: TSR had a comp that involved both weight loss and muscle categories. I chose to enter the weight loss category
April 2013: I do quite strict calorie counting, lose 2 stone, but honestly I'm miserable as ****
2013 - 2014: Over this time, I put quite a bit of the weight back on, finish my undergrad, have a nervous breakdown, lose all motivation for both fitness and diet. Still doing Jitsu but can't at the rate I want to due to injury.
2014 - 2015: Chip at some of the weight but nothing at the same rate as 2013. Get onto my PhD programme, quit smoking (lol)
2015 - 2018: Get my weight down by a stone, due to me training quite aggressively doing Jiu Jitsu. But a mixture of drinking, bad eating and poor sleep means that my weight loss isn't sustainable
2019: Maintain a weight of around 85 kg, have knee surgery to fix knee cap (caused my slut dropping too hard, don't ask) submit my PhD thesis, weight creeps back to 95 kg
2020: Get told that I'm pre-diabetic, joins a gym
March 2020: Panasonic begins (i.e. COVID), lose motivation
July 2020: Best mate dies of a heart attack, leads to my getting my **** together
September 2020: Begins rock climbing and starts listening to PT more. Notices that I'm getting stronger and losing the weight
January 2022: Notice I've begun looking more toned, but decides to take cut a bit more seriously and joins a gym to compliment climbing
Now: In this time I've dropped back to 85 kg, but feel so strong and less miserable.

I guess this timeline is for my former self really. Yes, weight loss is important. Yes, health is important. But putting yourself through pain will never work out. Not taking into account life stresses will not work out. Sometimes you can turn tragedy into a chance to focus on yourself. I'm now at the point where I'm approaching the weight that I was in March 2013. However, unlike then when I lost that weight through aggressive dieting and extreme cardio, here I'm focusing on gains, getting stronger climbing and overall am in a happier place. I'm also appreciating the now and I'm so proud of my journey till now, no matter how many bumps I've hit.

If this post helps anyone, I'm really glad. My advice to everyone is to be happy with where you are, focus on doing things for yourself and try to not let anyone else's progress stop you from being your best self.

Peace,

SB x
Youve had a hell of a time mate. Congrats on the weight loss. Well done you.

Do it for you mate. I hope you're doing well post PhD!
Youve had a hell of a time mate. Congrats on the weight loss. Well done you.

Do it for you mate. I hope you're doing well post PhD!

Cheers mate, honestly, the motivation for me keeping it off was my mate dying and being told I was pre-diabetic. It was a fate that I couldn't put onto my friends and stuff. The good news was that after that, I did lose a stone and maintain that weight loss for a solid year so it feels so much more sustainable now. I'm also less naive about it all (seriously, I read some of the early pages on here, JFC Craig).

I'm doing alright, looking for an industry job actually. How are you doing in the world of work? And is life treating you well?
I work nights now, so I do 5 days on, 10 off. Doing alright I guess, I'm not long back into fitness, 3 months only. Losing weight that I've gained from years of being injured after a work accident.
I work nights now, so I do 5 days on, 10 off. Doing alright I guess, I'm not long back into fitness, 3 months only. Losing weight that I've gained from years of being injured after a work accident.

****, what happened?

Quick Reply

Latest