The Student Room Group

becoming a banker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD315
Are there many opportunities for finding out more about internships in banking, etc at Warwick?

You can join the finance society which gives a lot of help, information and advice for internships, they also have LOTS of free dominos pizza at every event! :biggrin: I also get regular emails telling me where currently has places (I think I signed up for this during fresher's week though). There was a talk earlier this year about CVs and applications to them. This is just at Warwick :tongue: I can only speak for Warwick.
Reply 21
Original post by TheIrrational
You can join the finance society which gives a lot of help, information and advice for internships, they also have LOTS of free dominos pizza at every event! :biggrin: I also get regular emails telling me where currently has places (I think I signed up for this during fresher's week though). There was a talk earlier this year about CVs and applications to them. This is just at Warwick :tongue: I can only speak for Warwick.

Lots of recruitment events I'm guessing then. How about other careers as opposed to IB, such as actuarial as aforementioned in this thread?
Original post by CD315
Lots of recruitment events I'm guessing then. How about other careers as opposed to IB, such as actuarial as aforementioned in this thread?

There are a few careers things, I haven't been to any yet, being first term first year. I've seen engineering ones, i don't know about actuary, I haven't paid too much attention to be honest, I would say that the information is good and the options are there.
Reply 23
Original post by On The Horizon
A degree in Maths would be extremely useful for becoming a banker. There are much more amazing things you could do for a career with a degree in Maths though, so have a thorough think before you commit to the IB path - it is extremely well paid, but most people with good personalities and ideas and ambitions in life tend to avoid the financial sector like the plague - accountant is an exception, but an IB is definitely a job for people who don't particularly value themselves or their lives, and would rather immerse themselves in money; pretty sad really.

how is an accountant any worse than a banker ? If anything theyre worse than bankers... [nothing against them but still]
Reply 24
Original post by Sagacious
I too am considering the investment banking route.

However, don't get blinded by the salaries. You have to look at the work hours.

Do you want to be working 100 hour weeks? Think of the effect it will have on friendships, relationships and family commitments.

Fairly frequently you will have to do 7 days a week, 14 hours a day. That could mean 8am till 10pm. If you have a family, how will you see your children? You will probably have to leave the house at 7am and get back at 11pm...

Is the extra 30k, 40k or whatever, worth not seeing your family??

I think the actuarial route seems better, considerably less hours, still amazing pay. Plus, I think the job security is much better. Actuary usually gets rated the #1 job in America, year on year. That is after taking everything (working hours, pay etc) into account.

Either way, you don't need to decide right now, do a mathematics degree (possibly some statistics/economics modules) and you will be well on your way into either job.

Obviously, IB would typically require a target university; Warwick, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial or LSE.

damn! i knew i should have applied to LSE. st andrews is like the top 3 for maths in uk so i decided to go for that, kinda starting to regret it...

and about the family thing, i actually never thought of it like that. well i mean i still have 4 more years to decide so yeah.
Original post by cl_steele
how is an accountant any worse than a banker ? If anything theyre worse than bankers... [nothing against them but still]

Not sure I understand the question.
Original post by CD315
Are there many opportunities for finding out more about internships in banking, etc at Warwick?

If you did like 2 minutes of research (or even just searched a few key words in the TSR search bar) then you'd find the following information:

Hours are long in Investment Banking

Universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE and Warwick are targeted by IB's (these are target unis)

You are considerably better off with a first class degree in a numerate subject (maths, finance, econ, chem, physics)

Networking helps considerably

Extra curriculars and perhaps some exposure to the industry is also a massive help

Grad jobs are hard to find

But, since I'm here and I'm pretty much omniscient (and rather up myself) in the field of graduate employment, you can continue with your laziness.
Reply 27
Original post by wanderlust.xx
If you did like 2 minutes of research (or even just searched a few key words in the TSR search bar) then you'd find the following information:

Hours are long in Investment Banking

Universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE and Warwick are targeted by IB's (these are target unis)

You are considerably better off with a first class degree in a numerate subject (maths, finance, econ, chem, physics)

Networking helps considerably

Extra curriculars and perhaps some exposure to the industry is also a massive help

Grad jobs are hard to find

But, since I'm here and I'm pretty much omniscient (and rather up myself) in the field of graduate employment, you can continue with your laziness.

I don't understand why you've quoted me. Indeed, I may have worded my question particularly wrong. I was only interested in the exposure available at Warwick in particular, i.e. what opportunities there are for networking, how many IB related careers events there are, etc. To call me lazy would be foolish. Instead, perhaps call me curious for wanting to question a current undergraduate student. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending