The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ThePants999
I imagine they'll try to say so now you've mentioned it, but I reckon most of them had just forgotten :p:

Hands up who cares? no one?
Reply 21
digitalparadox
Just wondering on what salary would people be aiming for in life. For example, I would aim for at least £50,000 pa before I die and if another job comes up with a higher wage, then it would be a bonus. What would you be satisfied with?

It's all about expectations isn't it, someone may be very happy with £25,000, you have stated your own personal preference, others may only be happy if they are earning £1m + a year. It's all relative and anyone who starts saying well you don't really need it so why are you satisfied etc really doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
Ferrus
A recent psychological study suggested that any wage above £25K does little to help your general happiness - if anything it is possible that if you have more you can get stuck into as cycle of hedonism. A rewarding job and a good family/friend life are said to be the most important factors for happiness once the basics are satisfactorily accounted for.

I've read this and am not convinced. £25k is of course enough to live comfortably, but surely the additional luxuries you can obtain with more (e.g. more comfortable home, private healthcare, good leisure centre membership etc etc) would indeed improve your general happiness, quality of life and standard of living? Had this debate with a friend the other day, he said having a home cinema instead of a 14" TV does absolutely nothing to your level of happiness, I beg to differ!
well £50k will be great :biggrin:
Reply 24
Chassez
I've read this and am not convinced. £25k is of course enough to live comfortably, but surely the additional luxuries you can obtain with more (e.g. more comfortable home, private healthcare, good leisure centre membership etc etc) would indeed improve your general happiness, quality of life and standard of living? Had this debate with a friend the other day, he said having a home cinema instead of a 14" TV does absolutely nothing to your level of happiness, I beg to differ!

I am inclined to agree I mean are people who state that anything over and above 25k doesn't make any difference really thinking this through. Who's going to be happier some average joe whos 35 years old earning 25k or Abramovich who's already retired essentially, gets to play fantasy football, can travel over to Monaco where he has his yacht moored, gain entry to everything he wants to see, govern a province in Russia etc etc.
Reply 25
kb500
I am inclined to agree I mean are people who state that anything over and above 25k doesn't make any difference really thinking this through. Who's going to be happier some average joe whos 35 years old earning 25k or Abramovich who's already retired essentially, gets to play fantasy football, can travel over to Monaco where he has his yacht moored, gain entry to everything he wants to see, govern a province in Russia etc etc.

I can guarantee wage and happinness are not even close to being directly proportional.
Chris.
I can guarantee wage and happinness are not even close to being directly proportional.

And I can guarentee he knows that.

Diminishing returns is something we all know about. Although non-satiation would tell us that the returns aren't negative.
ideally the equivalent (considering inflation) of 100-150K now

these predicted salaries are assuming constant inflation this is impossible due to variability of economy
Constant prices, actually. Which isn't impossible. If you look at a derived price index over the last 3000 years or so, you'll see the link between money supply and prices. For long periods in many places, money supply didn't change because monetary source stock did not change (ie. the amount of gold around)

The advent of fiat money saw that go down the tubes though :wink:
mark1010
Yeah exactly.

What really annoys me though, is when you read posts on this website saying that if you don't go to uni, your only good enough to stack shelves! I wonder if their opinion will change when they need to be cut out of a car, or pulled from a burning house!

both my dad and my brother are firefighters and they both love it, my brother especially. he's been trying for 6/7 years to get in and finally got in this year and loves it. i say good luck to you mark1010
Reply 30
laurah
both my dad and my brother are firefighters and they both love it, my brother especially. he's been trying for 6/7 years to get in and finally got in this year and loves it. i say good luck to you mark1010

Thanks!!!

Where are they firefighters???????

Mark
mark1010
Thanks!!!

Where are they firefighters???????

Mark

my dad in london.. he's worked there since he was 18 and he retired this week actually after 36 years!! he has worked around london and even worked on the fire boat which was pretty gd cos i got to drive it lol. as for my brother he's in shoreham. so how about u ?
Reply 32
laurah
my dad in london.. he's worked there since he was 18 and he retired this week actually after 36 years!! he has worked around london and even worked on the fire boat which was pretty gd cos i got to drive it lol. as for my brother he's in shoreham. so how about u ?

I'm applying to Royal Berkshire and Greater Manchester at the moment. I'll also apply to London, and some more local brigades when they next have a recruitment campaign. Lol i'll pretty much go anywhere to just get the job!

Mark
I'm hoping to be on about £70k within five years of qualification (barrister). I plan to do a bit of property development as well. I won't really be satisfied until I'm on at least £200k pa. My dad thinks I will never earn more than him (circa 300k) and I want to prove him wrong! Nothing like a bit of incentive.. :wink:
I'm hoping to get into a fairly high paying starting salary, 25k+, find my feet, possibly get onto the property ladder, then eventually work for myself and start my own business. I don't think i'd be satisfied if i were earning than 70k a year (or the equivalent at that time). I'm quite a money motivated person, so the prospect of high earnings is always going to be what drives me, although i do see the importance of forging strong relationships, family and so on...
Reply 35
You wouldnt be satisfied with 70K? Jeez...
LuverlyLawyer
I'm hoping to be on about £70k within five years of qualification (barrister). I plan to do a bit of property development as well. I won't really be satisfied until I'm on at least £200k pa. My dad thinks I will never earn more than him (circa 300k) and I want to prove him wrong! Nothing like a bit of incentive.. :wink:
Wow, lucky him! I've only got 25-30k to beat.:p:
I'll look at my potential earning power when I enter my first permenent graduate job (probably about 6.5 years), until then, it's not an issue.
Reply 38
Cortez
You wouldnt be satisfied with 70K? Jeez...

Why should she be? If your expectation is lower then that's fine, but obviously that is not going to be the same for everyone is it?
I've been lucky enough to have a dad who has been able to earn a lot of money through business. I would very much like to maintain my lifestyle when I leave home and the only way I am going to do that is be earning a similar amount.

I have ambition. And I believe I can achieve it. Nothing wrong with that :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending