The Student Room Group

The "female mind" unveiled

Edit: Guys if you want me to reply to you then you have to actually reply to me in the body of your text and not in the quotes. I don't want to (and I will not) go to the effort of copying and pasting your responses.

Edit number 2: People seem to be taking this thread to mean that this is the supposed moral behaviour. Morality is subjective. What I'm writing is simply what I think are reasonable explanations for stereotypical occurrences. Whether you think they're moral or not is up to you. If you let natural occurrences dictate morality then you're an idiot.

So I found out there are so many threads on TSR trying to figure out the "mysterious female mind", I thought I'd make a thread to try to explain it from my perspective. I found some stereotypes and gave explanations for them. If you can think of any other stereotype, post it in the thread and I'll attempt to address it with an explanation.

1) Women are likely to reject you if you seem interested, but they would be intrigued by you if you don't show any interest in them.

Explanation: A woman usually starts off being flattered by men's advances the first time it happened to her. Over time, a statistical pattern starts to form in which the number of perverted men who only wanted her for sex > genuine men. Consequently, the default position for interested men in her head is in the "pervert" category.

As a result, men who don't seem interested in her would automatically stand out and will appear to be better prospective partners because they obviously aren't sex crazed or weird if they're not actively going after her or even paying her attention.

2) Girls don't know what they want.

Explanation: girls know that they want to avoid giving instructions. They will beat around the bush and give you clues so that you can figure it out yourself, because THAT is what girls want. They want you to be telepathic. Literally. The reason: they want to feel like their partner knows them well enough to figure out what they want without having to tell them what it is specifically.

3) Girls don't like sex.

Explanation: girls do like sex. The problem is, sex usually ends with the man getting pleasure but the woman not getting as much pleasure as she could potentially get (because men can orgasm in less than 3 minutes and women take about 20 on average).

Result: women figure out that, if they don't enjoy sex most of the time, they may as well use sex as a means to get what they want (hence withholding sex as punishment or giving sex as a reward).

4) Girls go for *******s

Explanations: girls don't go for *******s. The guys who consider themselves "nice" and every other potential guy an "*******" are actually the *******s themselves, and the "*******s" who are reading this will understand what I mean.

If you think you're a nice guy and you aren't sure why you keep getting rejected, then take the time to read this article and see if the description fits you: http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml

_ _ _
Post as many stereotypes as you want in the thread. I'll answer them if I think they're correct and ignore them if I think they're fabricated and/or stupid.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dragonfly07
(because men can orgasm in less than 3 minutes and women take about 20 on average).

20 seconds, actually.
Reply 2
3) Girls don't like sex.

Explanation: girls do like sex. The problem is, sex usually ends with the man getting pleasure but the woman not getting as much pleasure as she could potentially get (because men can orgasm in less than 3 minutes and women take about 20 on average).

Result: women figure out that, if they don't enjoy sex most of the time, they may as well use sex as a means to get what they want (hence withholding sex as punishment or giving sex as a reward).

Girls definitely like sex (I don't see how that could seriously be argued against), but definitely they are more inhibited against it. I've read this is likely a vestige of evolutionary psychology, being that women traditionally had more to risk from entering into a sexual relationship than men did. This disparity of risk is of course eliminated with contraception, but psychology changes much slower than technology. It leads to the interesting results in studies, such as that single women propositioned by an unknown attractive man for sex almost universally refuse, whereas single men approached by an unknown attractive women almost universally accept. This isn't to say that men like sex more than women, but I could understand why some could be led to believe this.
Or maybe, just maybe, not all women think alike.
What is it with all these late night men vs women threads? :/ Post makes sense though.
Reply 5
Original post by miser
Girls definitely like sex (I don't see how that could seriously be argued against), but definitely they are more inhibited against it. I've read this is likely a vestige of evolutionary psychology, being that women traditionally had more to risk from entering into a sexual relationship than men did. This disparity of risk is of course eliminated with contraception, but psychology changes much slower than technology. It leads to the interesting results in studies, such as that single women propositioned by an unknown attractive man for sex almost universally refuse, whereas single men approached by an unknown attractive women almost universally accept. This isn't to say that men like sex more than women, but I could understand why some could be led to believe this.

I've read that too, it's from Richard Dawkins. I really like that hypothesis. Think I agree with it.
Reply 6
Original post by miser

Exactly. Women invest more in childbirth so it is only natural that they should be more selective about sex than men. Men, however, expend virtually zero cost in having sex and so are much more likely to engage in sex with random women.

Of course, as with anything, you get a distribution of tactics to courtship evolving to allow a range of niches to be filled. Game theory can be used to describe this kinda stuff pretty well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I've read that too, it's from Richard Dawkins. I really like that hypothesis. Think I agree with it.

I've heard it from different sources (including Dawkins). Even saw it as far as being one of the principal ideas behind the 'Mystery Method'. It seems relatively accepted; it ought to be quite uncontroversial except for misplaced feelings of equality in matters where people happen to actually be different. It's suggested intuitively also by a game theory interpretation of risk and reward.

Edit: as 3nTr0pY above me says.
(edited 11 years ago)
Girls seem to throw logic out the window in most situations and go with their emotions, regardless of how stupid the decision is.

What is your explanation for this, Dragonfly?
Reply 9
So I found out there are so many threads on TSR trying to figure out the "mysterious female mind", I thought I'd make a thread to try to explain it from my perspective. I found some stereotypes and gave explanations for them. If you can think of any other stereotype, post it in the thread and I'll attempt to address it with an explanation.

1) Women are likely to reject you if you seem interested, but they would be intrigued by you if you don't show any interest in them.

Explanation: A woman usually starts off being flattered by men's advances the first time it happened to her. Over time, a statistical pattern starts to form in which the number of perverted men who only wanted her for sex > genuine men. Consequently, the default position for interested men in her head is in the "pervert" category.

As a result, men who don't seem interested in her would automatically stand out and will appear to be better prospective partners because they obviously aren't sex crazed or weird if they're not actively going after her or even paying her attention.

Explanation: girls know that they want to avoid giving instructions. They will beat around the bush and give you clues so that you can figure it out yourself, because THAT is what girls want. They want you to be telepathic. Literally. The reason: they want to feel like their partner knows them well enough to figure out what they want without having to tell them what it is specifically.

3) Girls don't like sex.

4) Girls go for *******s

Explanations: girls don't go for *******s. The guys who consider themselves "nice" and every other potential guy an "*******" are actually the *******s themselves, and the "*******s" who are reading this will understand what I mean.

If you think you're a nice guy and you aren't sure why you keep getting rejected, then take the time to read this article and see if the description fits you: http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml

Post as many stereotypes as you want in the thread. I'll answer them if I think they're correct and ignore them if I think they're fabricated and/or stupid.

I like you! If only you were the little voice in my head :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by 3nTr0pY
20 seconds, actually.

Sounds about right.
Reply 11
When looking for a partner - a guy's popularity or acceptance amongst other women is the most important.

Am I correct?
Reply 12
Sex and physical affection is the love language of a lot of men. This is how they feel loved and desired. Given what men give into relationships and how many hurdles they have to leap across just to get sex, it's kinda depressing that women pro actively use it as a bargaining chip. Even with the guys who love them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by MancBoy
When looking for a partner - a guy's popularity or acceptance amongst other women is the most important.

Am I correct?

Popularity among the opposite sex isn't a positive trait at all. It's a deterrent if anything (more likely to cheat).

The reason for the illusion might be because increasing popularity also increases self esteem and confidence. The relationship between these two factors is like a positive feedback mechanism where popularity increases confidence and confidence increases popularity.

Of course it's an illusion and I wouldn't call it real confidence, but women fall for it instinctively.
Reply 14
Original post by 2ndClass
Sex and physical affection is the love language of a lot of men. This is how they feel loved and desired. Given what men give into relationships and how many hurdles they have to leap across just to get sex, it's kinda depressing that women pro actively use it as a bargaining chip. Even with the guys who love them.

Well women don't get as much from sex as men do. I think it sort of evens it out. I'm sure that if you went to the effort of making her orgasm every time you had sex, she'd jump at the opportunity of it every time.

Why can't a man want a woman for sex AND her personality/want of a relationship? Are the two mutually exclusive? Sex is an important part of healthy relationships, and physical attraction is a strong basis for people even engaging eachother. You have to be attracted to your partner physically/sexually, then when you find out they have a decent personality or that you are attracted to them in the wanting-a-relationship sense, jackpot.

I'm sorry, but this is just psychopathic behaviour

3) Girls don't like sex.

Again, psychopathy

4) Girls go for *******s

This is actually the most sensible and true thing you've written.

123410char
Reply 16
Dragonfly spouting another ****e feminist rules thread, nothing new here.
Original post by Michaelj
Dragonfly spouting another ****e feminist rules thread, nothing new here.

Where has anyone mentioned ANYTHING feminist here before your post?
Being pro-women (as in, not hating them) is hardly a bad thing, and that's the only thing she's done. Do you prefer misogyny or am I missing something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by HFerguson
123410char

Nice input. Women are psychopathic. Thank you for your comments.

(I would have replied to each of your points separately if they weren't within the quotes - difficult to get to).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending