The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE Unit 1 09/01/13 - WJEC

Scroll to see replies

btw, feel sorry for me! This was my retake! I got a B last time (2 marks off an A), so had to retake really. Doubt I've bettered it though! :s-smilie: :frown:
Reply 41
Original post by janwells
What were your interpretations of the first poem? My friend said it was related to Rosa Parks?!

:zomg: I didn't write about that... I saw her name but just said how we should live our own lives and make choices which take advantage of our opportunities and not be afraid or embarrassed by these choices which may require us to get out of our comfort zones... :rofl2:
Reply 42
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:zomg: I didn't write about that... I saw her name but just said how we should live our own lives and make choices which take advantage of our opportunities and not be afraid or embarrassed by these choices which may require us to get out of our comfort zones... :rofl2:

I didn't even see her name :colondollar: Yes! Exactly what I interpreted too :smile: This is why I dislike English Literature, you'll never know if your answer is right or wrong - the examiner is always the judge
What were your interpretations of the first poem? My friend said it was related to Rosa Parks?!

I didn't write about that. :s-smilie: I saw her name, but thought it was just a coincidence :colondollar:
Reply 44
I didn't even see her name :colondollar: Yes! Exactly what I interpreted too :smile: This is why I dislike English Literature, you'll never know if your answer is right or wrong - the examiner is always the judge

:woo:

My favourite bit was when I wrote about enjambement and how it symbolises the choices you make now effect what happens next :lol:
:woo:

My favourite bit was when I wrote about enjambement and how it symbolises the choices you make now effect what happens next :lol:

I wrote sort of like that, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the word I was looking for (enjambment :grumble: ), so I just said that it symbolises how just because a certain section is over (either a section of the poem or a section of life), the poem/life still goes on and it's still possible to be optimistic.

My whole analysis was BS, basically :lol:
Reply 46
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I wrote sort of like that, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the word I was looking for (enjambment :grumble: ), so I just said that it symbolises how just because a certain section is over (either a section of the poem or a section of life), the poem/life still goes on and it's still possible to be optimistic.

My whole analysis was BS, basically :lol:

:woo: I like that. Life goes on :biggrin:
:woo: I like that. Life goes on :biggrin:

I think that was probably the best point I made in the essay :colondollar: At the end I was so out of ideas that I literally put "I like this poem more because of the imagery used :tongue:"

No one cares about your opinion, Tails! :lol:
Reply 48
I think that was probably the best point I made in the essay :colondollar: At the end I was so out of ideas that I literally put "I like this poem more because of the imagery used :tongue:"

No one cares about your opinion, Tails! :lol:

I said I liked the first one more because it allowed me to open my eyes without forcing me awake... :colonhash:

^ utter crap
I said I liked the first one more because it allowed me to open my eyes without forcing me awake... :colonhash:

^ utter crap

Well, hopefully if everyone else wrote as much BS as I did, the grade boundaries will be something like 2 marks for an A* :lol:

How much did you write? I did a tad more than six pages, so not a great deal :s-smilie:
Reply 50
Well, hopefully if everyone else wrote as much BS as I did, the grade boundaries will be something like 2 marks for an A* :lol:

How much did you write? I did a tad more than six pages, so not a great deal :s-smilie:

Oh bloody hell...

Over half a page for extract :frown: it was **** nothing to write

Just under 2 pages for essay :wink:

2.5 pages for poems.

But my writing is pretty small so hoping that will account for it
Oh bloody hell...

I did about a page and a half for extract Q, two and a half pages for essay Q, then just over two pages for poetry. My handwriting is mahoosive though, so bear that in mind :tongue:
Reply 52
I did about a page and a half for extract Q, two and a half pages for essay Q, then just over two pages for poetry. My handwriting is mahoosive though, so bear that in mind :tongue:

:zomg: how big is mahoosive?:frown:
:zomg: how big is mahoosive?:frown:

I got a standard piece of A4 lined paper and wrote the word 'hello' nine times in one line, if that gives any indication :tongue:
Reply 54
I got a standard piece of A4 lined paper and wrote the word 'hello' nine times in one line, if that gives any indication :tongue:

Hmmm... That's not too bad although I could probably fit more in I hope :frown:
I ****ed up :frown:

For the 'who was the most victimised' question I wrote about Curley's wife. I think this is the question I did best in, but I still think I did really badly.

The poems were horrible. :frown: I don't even know what I said, I just rambled on about some random crap and made some really obscure links :tongue:

I wrote about Curley's wife as well. I didn't quite get the second poem but I think I've done ok. The Carlson question was nice
I did this exam today... Of Mice and Men went okay, I just hope I didn't write about things that won't get me marks... Did practice questions and got A*s but they took longer than the time in the exam. :/

Poetry... Almost every point I made was the same... "This makes me, as the reader, feel that I should make the most of every opportunity in life."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
For the Of Mice and Men Extract question I wrote that Carlson is selfish and manipulative yet he acknowledges the paradox that you have to be cruel to be kind, I said that he is putting the dog out its misery which will do him better in the future. I said that he clearly sees no emotion and is very forceful. The reader may feel anger,sympathy or something.

For the extract question I wrote about Curley's wife.

For the poem I wrote about how Nature combines with life. I wrote how nature can destroy one thing, like the theme of death was in there. So I said YOLO lol (not really but you get the point) It was about having a second chance in life and reflecting what you could have done to improve it. It reminded you of death as a natural cause that is unpredictable. It shows how short life can be, there's no need to "spill," take all the opportunities and excel in them.

I hope I get somewhere with this because it's a resit.
Reply 58
Original post by supergrantholt
I know what you mean, probably why I spent too much time on it...
I commented on his cunning - he offered a solution to shooting Candy's dog by offering one of Slim's pups. Showed he's cunning and quick thinking??? Probably wrong.
Also said he's intolerant and insensitive. But they probably are part of the same point on selfishness. So I don't know!

I wrote similar to you lol. I said he was manipulative and selfish and impatient.
Reply 59
Oh wow you guys :colonhash: I've failed :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending