The Student Room Group

Student finance for QTS course

Hi, this is my first post here so please bear with me if I ramble on!!

My situation is that I have applied for the Bsc secondary ed design and technology with QTS at Bangor university. Ill be 30 when/if I start in September. I am also married with three children. One who will be starting full time school in sept and twins who will go to nursery full time. We have a mortgage and my husband works full time. I don't at the moment. I'm a stay at home mum. I am however studying U101 with the open university. It's just one module. I've been given a fee and course grant for this. When I left school I studied the diploma in adult nursing at Bangor but didnt finish the course. I only completed two full years. I got a bursary for this.

Im starting to worry now that I won't get any student finance for the teaching degree! Anyone got any experience of this or know anything that would help? The student finance Wales website crashes after I get to a certain point and customer services aren't much help either!!
Reply 1
Original post by MrsHogarth

My situation is that I have applied for the Bsc secondary ed design and technology with QTS at Bangor university. Ill be 30 when/if I start in September. I am also married with three children. One who will be starting full time school in sept and twins who will go to nursery full time. We have a mortgage and my husband works full time. I don't at the moment. I'm a stay at home mum. I am however studying U101 with the open university. It's just one module. I've been given a fee and course grant for this. When I left school I studied the diploma in adult nursing at Bangor but didnt finish the course. I only completed two full years. I got a bursary for this.

Im starting to worry now that I won't get any student finance for the teaching degree! Anyone got any experience of this or know anything that would help? The student finance Wales website crashes after I get to a certain point and customer services aren't much help either!!

i dont know how the open university module works but as far as the diploma in nursing goes thats two years out of your entitlement gone unless there were extenuating circumstances as to why you left e.g. illness and you can provide proof of this. were that no to be the case you would have to fund year 1 of your new course yourself and you would only recieve the minimum maintainance loan
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
i dont know how the open university module works but as far as the diploma in nursing goes thats two years out of your entitlement gone unless there were extenuating circumstances as to why you left e.g. illness and you can provide proof of this. were that no to be the case you would have to fund year 1 of your new course yourself and you would only recieve the minimum maintainance loan

Where did ou get this info?
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000

Reply 4

its been repeated a lot by people who know what they are talking about on TSR and I have just found it is clearly outlined on here:
http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media/391986/eligible.pdf

thats for england but i believe the same criteria are in place accross the board as suggested by this:
http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=616,6202154&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

from student finance wales
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5

Student Finance only finances 1 higher education (3-year undergraduate degree or 1 foundation year + 3-year undergraduate degree). It seems like you have already used two years of your higher education loan at Bangor so now you have 2 left. This means that you will have to pay one academic year (roughly £6K) by yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by Juichiro
Student Finance only finances 1 higher education (3-year undergraduate degree or 1 foundation year + 3-year undergraduate degree). It seems like you have already used two years of your higher education loan at Bangor so now you have 2 left. This means that you will have to pay one academic year (roughly £6K) by yourself.

This isn't quite correct. Not all degrees are 3 years long. it's the length of course + 1 - previous years study.
Reply 7
It wasnt a degree course though. does that make a difference?
Reply 8
They only care about how many years you studied previously.
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
This isn't quite correct. Not all degrees are 3 years long. it's the length of course + 1 - previous years study.

I was trying to give an estimate and I used your average degree length which is in fact 3 years. Maybe I should have mentioned that, moderator.
Original post by Juichiro
I was trying to give an estimate and I used your average degree length which is in fact 3 years. Maybe I should have mentioned that, moderator.

It's nothing to do with average degree length.
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
It's nothing to do with average degree length.

The average degree length is 3 years. I was trying to give an estimate.
Reply 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending