The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2013 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooambitious
Once I get Warwick I'll take pleasure in doing that :colone:

Hahac I think everyone has those ideas of grandeur before reality sets in :tongue:

:biggrin:

Yep, you just see that you can do rowing, get involved in theatre, play in an orchestra and a band, pop into some Classics/English/Psychology lectures and decide to do them all while definitely getting a decent night's sleep and staying on top of all your work. BUT IT SHALL NEVER BE SO.

One thing I'd really like to try and do is one of the OPAL evening courses, maybe keep French going or start something like Russian.
Reply 1581
Original post by okonomiyaki
I know that feel. History is by far the subject I have the most trouble with, but it's also the most interesting. I don't expect an A, I'd be very, very happy with a B, especially because of those scary-ass grade boundaries! I definitely have respect for anyone who can get manage A in History, so keep at it!

I've done Part A, and I really enjoyed writing it, however my teacher is giving me no hints as to how I did (rightly so, but I WANT TO KNOW). I think my source integration was really off, definitely didn't analyse them properly! But at least it allowed me to waffle a bit, since I suffer from chronic cross-subject waffle syndrome wat m8 it's a serious condition

Part B is the bane of my life at the moment. I feel like I'm betraying History by having to write so briefly about everything because you have to cover such breadth, and there is literally NO room for waffle, which is maybe a good thing. My friends keep telling me they find it easier, but I disagree. How do you draw conclusions hundreds of years at a time? IMPOSSIBLE.

What period are you studying? I feel like a really dull encyclopaedia on the Crusades.
I actually lucked out in terms of the periods I'm studying! The benefit of having a cool history teacher who's actually more interested in politics. For coursework I'm doing 20th century China, and for the exams I'm doing Wars of the Roses/HVII (U1), post-WW2 British politics (2), and the french revolution/napoleon (3). Could be so much worse! The crusades sound pretty dull.

Anyway, I'm the majority of the way through Part A, and I definitely think it's the easier of the two. Part B seems fully impossible to answer confidently, and to answer comprehensively within 2000 words.

I actually felt the same way about getting a B in history last year, since I got two low B's in either module. But then resits went much better, so I've changed my mind and decided that history ain't so hard after all. Still harder than maths or politics or physics (aka my other subjects), but pretty doable nevertheless.

You're right though, the grade boundaries are relatively ridiculous for history, and not only the coursework. You can lose so many more marks in politics and still get A's. Maybe it's because all the clever people do history. I dunno.
Original post by Cellar Door

Yep, you just see that you can do rowing, get involved in theatre, play in an orchestra and a band, pop into some Classics/English/Psychology lectures and decide to do them all while definitely getting a decent night's sleep and staying on top of all your work. BUT IT SHALL NEVER BE SO.

One thing I'd really like to try and do is one of the OPAL evening courses, maybe keep French going or start something like Russian.

Ahahaha

Ohhh, me too! Those languages as well!
Once I get Warwick I'll take pleasure in doing that :colone:

Hahac I think everyone has those ideas of grandeur before reality sets in :tongue:

Warwick rejected me :unimpressed:
Ahahaha

Ooooh I really want to keep up my French, refresh my German, and yet I also want to learn Italian, Russian, and Arabic (as well as some others lol) I envisage me not being able to choose what to learn first, haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahahaha

Original post by loopy786
Ooooh I really want to keep up my French, refresh my German, and yet I also want to learn Italian, Russian, and Arabic (as well as some others lol) I envisage me not being able to choose what to learn first, haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

OPAL FRIENDS :awesome:
Original post by iamthestig
Warwick rejected me :unimpressed:

Don't know what they're missing :u:
OPAL FRIENDS :awesome:

:five:
Reply 1587
Oxford

Still at home in Malaysia. I wanna go to Oxford nowwwww :s-smilie:
Reply 1588
Original post by natninja
wherever you live geographically, going to attend university in Oxford (or Cambridge...) is always referred to as coming up.

Pardon me, I guess this Asian here still needs some time to get used to the mannerisms you all adopt... :frown::frown:
Original post by lionkong
Pardon me, I guess this Asian here still needs some time to get used to the mannerisms you all adopt... :frown::frown:

You will come up to Oxford in October. But then, if you want a day in London, you will go up to town.
Original post by okonomiyaki
The working out is a feat in itself, I miscalculated my English Language mark and had a very weird conversation with my teacher.

Also, shout out to Edexcel History coursework bros. WE CAN DO THIS.

Such optimism, it's killing me
Original post by bugsuper
I've spent so long adding up various UMS scores and hypothetical UMS scores in the last few days that I'm beginning to go mad.

I've not only done it for myself, I've also had to do it for friends >.<
Original post by lionkong

It helps if you think of Oxford as being 'high up' - top of the heap. So one 'comes up' to it. :cool:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It helps if you think of Oxford as being 'high up' - top of the heap. So one 'comes up' to it. :cool:

How typical. :rolleyes: Sounds like you're being called to the bar or something.
Original post by BlamelessJak
Such optimism, it's killing me

I CAN'T DO IT. Help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AbiWillett
I CAN'T DO IT. Help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not goinng to lie, i'm absolutely uselesss. What period of history are you doing?
Not goinng to lie, i'm absolutely uselesss. What period of history are you doing?

The Berlin blockade for part A, I haven't even started part b yet :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AbiWillett
The Berlin blockade for part A, I haven't even started part b yet :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds absolutely thrilling, i've got Alexander Fleming for part A. Turns out he was a pretty boring guy, but still beating Berlin by the sounds of it. Whats your Part B on? And good luck!
That sounds absolutely thrilling, i've got Alexander Fleming for part A. Turns out he was a pretty boring guy, but still beating Berlin by the sounds of it. Whats your Part B on? And good luck!

Everything beats Berlin I think! It's about what the most significant event in the 20th century was I think....something along those lines! Good luck to you too, it's hell!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1599
Can anyone give me some advice on GCSE's and how much emphasis Oxford places on them? I want to read French or French and Philosophy but didn't do too well at GCSE (4A*3A 2B 1C - the C in foundation statistics), I got 4A's at AS Level and am predicted 3 A* for A Level (French, English Language and Theatre Studies). I am planning on doing a year in France once I've got my grades and then apply to Oxford for 2014 entry - would it be worth applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending