The Student Room Group

How to tell a guy you just want be friends

There's this guy in college who seems to have a crush on me, he's badly attempting to flirt with me and and all of our mates take the mick out of me. I don't like him in that way and just want to be friends, but he's always trying to give subtle hints that he likes me, like for instance he walks me home, and when he texts me he's like 'hey beautiful', and if you knew him you would know that this is really out of character for him. Any advice please, just so he knows i don't like him in that way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just say to him something along the lines of you don't want to lead him on at all, so if he has got the impression that you are interested in anything more than friendship, then you're sorry. That you value him as a friend but don't want to risk ruining that by taking it any further.

Even if it's not necessarily true, it's the way that will make him feel the least bad about it; he won't feel like he's not good enough or get too hurt. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by rlscope
Just say to him something along the lines of you don't want to lead him on at all, so if he has got the impression that you are interested in anything more than friendship, then you're sorry. That you value him as a friend but don't want to risk ruining that by taking it any further.

Even if it's not necessarily true, it's the way that will make him feel the least bad about it; he won't feel like he's not good enough or get too hurt. :smile:

I really don't want to make it akward between the two of us. Even though we're not close friends I get the feeling he thinks we our. I only met him at the start of college this year, and i'm the type of person who makes funny, mean comments, you know like jokey insults. I think he may assume i'm flirting with him, but that's what i'm like with everyone.
Reply 3
Here's to a brother about to be friendzoned.

:nopity:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I really don't want to make it akward between the two of us. Even though we're not close friends I get the feeling he thinks we our. I only met him at the start of college this year, and i'm the type of person who makes funny, mean comments, you know like jokey insults. I think he may assume i'm flirting with him, but that's what i'm like with everyone.

I've been in the same boat before; I'm the same kinda person and most of my friends are guys, which can lead to some awkward misunderstandings.

I think it's best to just take a big step back for a few weeks, limit contact as much as you can without being rude, so that he gets the message.
I am in literally the exact same position as you - the same guy has hit on me three years in a row. Despite me telling him we are and will only ever be friends, he doesn't seem to get the message! I feel really bad - he sits next to me in lessons and I try not to speak to him too much in case he thinks I'm flirting (which he does reeeaally easily). He never gives up and I don't know what to do - I can't be really blunt and be like "I don't like your personality or your looks", because we have the next two years of college together. I tried moving seats but he just sits next to me again :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by RawringArmadillo
I am in literally the exact same position as you - the same guy has hit on me three years in a row. Despite me telling him we are and will only ever be friends, he doesn't seem to get the message! I feel really bad - he sits next to me in lessons and I try not to speak to him too much in case he thinks I'm flirting (which he does reeeaally easily). He never gives up and I don't know what to do - I can't be really blunt and be like "I don't like your personality or your looks", because we have the next two years of college together. I tried moving seats but he just sits next to me again :s-smilie:

This guy you're on about sounds really weird. If you've clearly told him you don't like him, he must have some like obession with you. Get someone else to tell he maybe? Like one of his close mates, see if he will listen to them. If he doesn't I suggest to stop being friends with him if he bothers you a lot.
This guy you're on about sounds really weird. If you've clearly told him you don't like him, he must have some like obession with you. Get someone else to tell he maybe? Like one of his close mates, see if he will listen to them. If he doesn't I suggest to stop being friends with him if he bothers you a lot.

I have!! His friends literally take him away from me when he comes up to me, and they tell him I'm not interested in him at all! He's kind of borderline obessive - he keeps staring at me and texting me 5+ times a day. I just don't know what more I can do.....
Reply 8
Tell him it's not gonna happen then pass him something to drown his sorrows

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have!! His friends literally take him away from me when he comes up to me, and they tell him I'm not interested in him at all! He's kind of borderline obessive - he keeps staring at me and texting me 5+ times a day. I just don't know what more I can do.....

Maybe he has a thing for armadillos? Try telling him that you're a pangolin, and that it just won't work.
Original post by InsomniacDreamer
Maybe he has a thing for armadillos? Try telling him that you're a pangolin, and that it just won't work.

Haha, I would look like an absolute nutter saying "You see, I'm a Pangolin..so I can't go out with you....do you know what I mean?"

Straight to the mental asylum for meeeee...
Reply 11
I think if a guy doesn't take the hint you have to be pretty unpleasant really to break the cycle. No mention of valuing the friendship - this always gives lingering hopes - avoid where possible and give a clear message yourself and through friends that there is nothing doing. A mean boyfriend could help too..

In the past I've got pretty hung up about a couple of girls where it started as good friends and I wanted more.. And I behaved pretty foolishly, although not outrageously I hope. In one instance where she lived a bit away in hindsight it would better, although very hurtful at the time, if she had just said she didn't want anymore to do with me.
Reply 12
Original post by Funtry
Here's to a brother about to be friendzoned.

:nopity:

:rip:
You go to him and say "We should just be friends"
Reply 14
A moment of silence for our fallen comrade...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
There's this guy in college who seems to have a crush on me, he's badly attempting to flirt with me and and all of our mates take the mick out of me. I don't like him in that way and just want to be friends, but he's always trying to give subtle hints that he likes me, like for instance he walks me home, and when he texts me he's like 'hey beautiful', and if you knew him you would know that this is really out of character for him. Any advice please, just so he knows i don't like him in that way.

Stop texting him and spending time with him. If he remotely flirts with you, tell him it's inappropriate.

Even though we're not close friends I get the feeling he thinks we our

Well, he does have your phone number and seems to know where you live, and you seem to spend voluntary time with him outside of college. I have people I actually like and get along with, but never spend time one-on-one with them or have their phonenumbers. That suggests a reasonable closeness - and you've put yourself in this position.

Original post by rlscope

He will either take that as an indication to continue or else will see through the rather obvious deception. The stuff about "risking" friendships is one of the most overused clichés imaginable - and rarely is it actually true. As the OP has said, she doesn't really know him that well - as such, any over-friendliness, or the slightest hint that there is some attraction but it is being put aside for friendship, is entirely counterproductive.

I am in literally the exact same position as you - the same guy has hit on me three years in a row. Despite me telling him we are and will only ever be friends, he doesn't seem to get the message! [...] "I don't like your personality or your looks", because we have the next two years of college together. I tried moving seats but he just sits next to me again :s-smilie:

Case in point (to the reply above). You're clearly not friends, yet pretending you are. Why? I don't know. But it doesn't work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Case in point (to the reply above). You're clearly not friends, yet pretending you are. Why? I don't know. But it doesn't work.

Then I should change what I said to "we will only ever be acquaintances"...this still doesn't change my position, I avoid the guy at all costs and both my friends and his friends try to keep him away from me...
Reply 17
Hey,

As I told some of my female friends, the best thing you can do it be direct and straightforward with him. Be 100% non-misleading, and say exactly what you want to say.

I'm sure you noticed that girls like to be a bit more subtle and indirect while guys are always blunt and honest with each other.
That's the way to set things straight. Like when a doctor tells a patient what they have in a straightforward way because they might understand otherwise.

I've been misleaded by a lot of girls because I would text them or talk to them in a flirty way and instead of telling me they're not interested, they would try and reject me gently. For a guy that might be interpreted as playfulness or playing hard to get which makes him try even harder.

I think ignoring him would be the worse thing because he maybe be more into you after that.

I would say something like: 'I noticed that you are flirting with me and I would like to make it clear that I only want to be friends with you'.
Nothing wrong with being straightforward. Saves you a lot of time and energy in the long run.

Hope this was useful
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Don't start the convos. He will soon realize that you do not want his D and will lose interest in you eventually.
Original post by marios47
Hey,

As I told some of my female friends, the best thing you can do it be direct and straightforward with him. Be 100% non-misleading, and say exactly what you want to say.

I'm sure you noticed that girls like to be a bit more subtle and indirect while guys are always blunt and honest with each other.
That's the way to set things straight. Like when a doctor tells a patient what they have in a straightforward way because they might understand otherwise.

I've been misleaded by a lot of girls because I would text them or talk to them in a flirty way and instead of telling me they're not interested, they would try and reject me gently. For a guy that might be interpreted as playfulness or playing hard to get which makes him try even harder.

I think ignoring him would be the worse thing because he maybe be more into you after that.

I would say something like: 'I noticed that you are flirting with me and I would like to make it clear that I only want to be friends with you'.
Nothing wrong with being straightforward. Saves you a lot of time and energy in the long run.

Hope this was useful

that would hurt him so much inside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending