The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Maths, Computing, JMC and general questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liu.chbn
Apologies, something cropped up when I am finishing the first half of the answer so I have to leave it until now :/

In general, it complements the computing part, just like how the computing part complements the maths part. I personally find the proof techniques learnt in first year maths helpful in second year computing algorithms and AI course, integration and linear algebra useful in a few third year courses and so on. It's worth to note that the boundary between Maths and Computing is not that clear for higher year topics, though obviously pure maths and computer architecture, say, remains two distinct field.

Applied mathematics is useful in engineering fields (say mechanical/structural) and Statistics is useful in finance and data science. Quite an amount of the Maths graduates here went to banks and actuarial firms, some went to consultancies and tech companies and only a minority remain in research and/or go into teaching. While you might not utilise the maths content learnt during work, people appreciate the mathematical/numerical mind of the graduates and the problem solving capability developed.

Again hope it helps.

Thank you! It definitely helps!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 181
Original post by Karoel
I had my interview for JMC on 11th Feb :-)

It lasted 15-20 minutes. 1/3 of it were questions about my PS, and 2/3 of the interview were 2 maths problems. At the end you could ask them any questions you have. I'm not gonna go into the specific because there were like 10 professors interviewing the applicants in total so it's really going to vary.

The maths problems are more like maths puzzles so you can't really revise for them. They don't take ages to solve but it's likely you will get stuck and need hints, at least that's what happened to me. The most useful thing you could do for them is make sure your brain is warmed up for the maths. You should read over your PS again so you know what you are talking about in the interview too.

The rest of the day was pretty fun, there was a presentation on the course, possible employment prospects, standard uni info. After the interview they show you student projects which are pretty cool, and you get trips around the campus. Just one thing, if you don't want to get insanely bored in a lecture hall don't come in early. On the bright side you get refreshments, sandwiches drinks and lots of cookies :wink:

Other than that, the interview is really something you shouldn't stress about, I just wanted to clear the day up a bit for you guys :biggrin: good luck!

Long overdue thanks :smile: for some reason it wouldn't let me +rep you. My maths question was on differentiation, not much problem solving involved :frown: and differentiation was what I had been dreading. Still, I got an offer (2 in STEP III).
Reply 182
Original post by Aeglor
Long overdue thanks :smile: for some reason it wouldn't let me +rep you. My maths question was on differentiation, not much problem solving involved :frown: and differentiation was what I had been dreading. Still, I got an offer (2 in STEP III).

High five! Mine is 2 in STEP III too :biggrin:

Did you firm it? Are you preparing for STEP now?
Reply 183
Original post by Karoel
High five! Mine is 2 in STEP III too :biggrin:

Did you firm it? Are you preparing for STEP now?

Yup, I'm going to have to work really hard though because the exam were tomorrow I might scrape a 3.
Reply 184
Original post by Aeglor
Yup, I'm going to have to work really hard though because the exam were tomorrow I might scrape a 3.

Do a STEP paper in timed exam conditions maybe? And then later you could see how you did and try to do other questions on the paper.

Is most of your revision this year going to be on STEP?
Reply 185
Original post by Karoel
Do a STEP paper in timed exam conditions maybe? And then later you could see how you did and try to do other questions on the paper.

Is most of your revision this year going to be on STEP?

That's a good suggestion, thanks :smile: I'm going to try and fit in as much as possible but I also need to do loads of work in chemistry and need to catch up on FP2 (which is my worst module at the moment).

EDIT: The STEP 3 papers from the past few years seem soooo much harder than older ones :frown:

EDIT 2: I wonder how lenient Imperial will be this year. In recent years they have had too many students on multiple occasions so it makes sense for them to give everyone silly offers. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
(edited 8 years ago)
Last written exam today, finally!
Next year it will (hopefully) be you muahahahaha!
Original post by seohyun
Last written exam today, finally!
Next year it will (hopefully) be you muahahahaha!

;D loool lets hope they dont do anything crazy with hardware
Original post by nmanvi

Duncan is usually a good guy... but who knows?

Good luck and all the best to you all!
Duncan is usually a good guy... but who knows?

Good luck and all the best to you all!

Hey!

I have another question :P

How much hardware stuff is in the course? Like say I wanted to get into the CPU architecture business, would Imperials degree be good prep for that?
Original post by Brubeckian
Hey!

I have another question :P

How much hardware stuff is in the course? Like say I wanted to get into the CPU architecture business, would Imperials degree be good prep for that?

Hum... I will try my best to explain, but mind that I am not a hardware/architecture person so a second/third/... opinion would be appreciated (looking at the first years :P)

First of all, Imperial have strong research teams (1/3 of the research group) on computer architecture. So if you decide to get into CPU architecture, the final year projects offered by them should get you decent support and insight.

On teaching, you will have compulsory modules on Hardware and Architecture during your first year, and optional Computer Architecture modules in your second and third year. The complete list of Hardware-oriented courses also include Custom Computing and Computing in Space with OpenSPL. They are not enough to fill all the modules in your 3rd/4th year, but should be decent prep.

The other thing to bear in mind is the people in this research group. I will keep the surprise by not naming them, but there is a professor who teaches extremely well and there is a professor who is a good researcher but not that good (being kind here) in teaching, some might consider bad teaching as something which put them off.

That's all I could really say (unfortunately), hope it helps.
Original post by nmanvi

Wasn't too bad, typical sequence recognition circuit and part 2 based off tutorial 6, fortunately no shifters too. Thanks for all the help on Piazza btw. :biggrin:
Hum... I will try my best to explain, but mind that I am not a hardware/architecture person so a second/third/... opinion would be appreciated (looking at the first years :P)

First of all, Imperial have strong research teams (1/3 of the research group) on computer architecture. So if you decide to get into CPU architecture, the final year projects offered by them should get you decent support and insight.

On teaching, you will have compulsory modules on Hardware and Architecture during your first year, and optional Computer Architecture modules in your second and third year. The complete list of Hardware-oriented courses also include Custom Computing and Computing in Space with OpenSPL. They are not enough to fill all the modules in your 3rd/4th year, but should be decent prep.

The other thing to bear in mind is the people in this research group. I will keep the surprise by not naming them, but there is a professor who teaches extremely well and there is a professor who is a good researcher but not that good (being kind here) in teaching, some might consider bad teaching as something which put them off.

That's all I could really say (unfortunately), hope it helps.

Thanks for your answers, they're definitely helpful :smile:
Original post by seohyun
Wasn't too bad, typical sequence recognition circuit and part 2 based off tutorial 6, fortunately no shifters too. Thanks for all the help on Piazza btw. :biggrin:

Loool yea it was alright
You are welcome :biggrin:
Hey, my friend wants to know if it's possible to switch from Computing to EE (electrical engineering)? In the first term.
Original post by Brubeckian
Hey, my friend wants to know if it's possible to switch from Computing to EE (electrical engineering)? In the first term.

Never heard of any such cases in my 3 years here...
It would be best for your friend to contact the admissions tutor as early as possible, as I would imagine it takes quite an effort in negotiation and so on. Even so I would not have high hopes unless there is a really sound and complete argument.
Never heard of any such cases in my 3 years here...
It would be best for your friend to contact the admissions tutor as early as possible, as I would imagine it takes quite an effort in negotiation and so on. Even so I would not have high hopes unless there is a really sound and complete argument.

Hey, thanks, he's made his own thread now (lol) but I'll let him know.
I want to apply to imperial for 2016, would it be good to learn slme programming and do some projects over the summer to put on my personal statement, and to show mu interest :biggrin:?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Datta10
I want to apply to imperial for 2016, would it be good to learn slme programming and do some projects over the summer to put on my personal statement, and to show mu interest :biggrin:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also applying in 2016 and wondering the same as you. And I'm also a female
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
I'm also applying in 2016 and wondering the same as you. And I'm also a female

High five, what are you doing now for a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending