The Student Room Group

rejections for medicine - what do to!!

Hey everyone,

I have received 3 rejections without interviews from mancheser, leicester and southampton to study medicine. Im just waiting on my last and first choice. I am getting a bit worried about the application process and think I applied to the wrong universities. If I have to apply next year, Im not sure what Im supposed to do differently.

I was hoping if anyone could tell me which unis I would be better off applying to with my grades etc. They're not the best grades I know, and I know i am competing against VERY strong candidates but I really want to study medicine!!!! This is what they are:

GCSEs i got 3A*s, 4A's 3B's and an A in ICT short course

AS i got AAAc however the C was in maths which consisted of 3 modules, I have resat one in jan, will be resitting another in june. As it was a high C, I am hoping to get at least a B if not a very ambitious A!!

I applied to unis that didnt care what you got in the 4th AS, however AAAc does look weaker than AAAa or AAAb so as med is a very competitive course, i might have got rejected on the basis of seeming a weaker applicant?

im not very good at english so my personal statement could have beeen a problem!

for work ex, I did 3 weeks at 3 hospitals, 1 which was private, voluntering with special needs school, charity shop, care home, ambassador for olympic games, chemistry mentor, taste of med day

I got 638 in my UKCAT but next year I will have a different score.

PLEASE HELP GUYSSSSSS!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't panic! The rejections without interview are disappointing but also mean that it wasn't personal. In terms of Manchester, i know that their UKCAT cut-off point is very high this year (around 650) so that is probably the reason. Your GCSE grades are good, though not as strong as many other candidates. May i ask what you got in the cores subjects such as English, Maths and Science? They can sometimes demand an A or A* in these. However, if you do receive a fourth rejection and manage to get AAAa or higher at the end of this year, you can reapply and they won't care overly about your GCSEs. Also, you will have a full gap year to do non stop UKCAT practice, and so up your score this way. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't prepare or the UKCAT, you can! Your volunteering sounds brilliant and if you do reapply next year with good grades, i am sure you will stand a great chance!

Best of luck with whatever happens!
Reply 2
Original post by mariaaaaaaaa
Hey everyone,

I have received 3 rejections without interviews from mancheser, leicester and southampton to study medicine. Im just waiting on my last and first choice. I am getting a bit worried about the application process and think I applied to the wrong universities. If I have to apply next year, Im not sure what Im supposed to do differently.

I was hoping if anyone could tell me which unis I would be better off applying to with my grades etc. They're not the best grades I know, and I know i am competing against VERY strong candidates but I really want to study medicine!!!! This is what they are:

GCSEs i got 3A*s, 4A's 3B's and an A in ICT short course

AS i got AAAc however the C was in maths which consisted of 3 modules, I have resat one in jan, will be resitting another in june. As it was a high C, I am hoping to get at least a B if not a very ambitious A!!

I applied to unis that didnt care what you got in the 4th AS, however AAAc does look weaker than AAAa or AAAb so as med is a very competitive course, i might have got rejected on the basis of seeming a weaker applicant?

im not very good at english so my personal statement could have beeen a problem!

for work ex, I did 3 weeks at 3 hospitals, 1 which was private, voluntering with special needs school, charity shop, care home, ambassador for olympic games, chemistry mentor, taste of med day

I got 638 in my UKCAT but next year I will have a different score.

PLEASE HELP GUYSSSSSS!

Manchester: They have a ukcat cut off, which you were below, so if you unfortunately get 4 rejections this year and have to reapply, make sure you only apply there if you have 660+ ukcat (might be higher/lower, check the specific thread :smile:)
Leicester: gcses and ukcat. You need a combination of both high gcses and ukcat, so i would probably avoid it next year.
Southampton: they give offers purely on PS, so that was the decider for that

I'm sorry about your unis, but i do think you're right; it's not your application that was poor, but the places that you applied to!! next year, definitely research more!!!!
What's your fourth uni?

Gcses: my friend applied for med with 2A*s and he has had 2 interviews so far by applying smart :smile:
AS levels: i got abbbb, and i haven't got a rejection yet, so don't worry, they won't have affected your app :smile:
Reply 3
thanks for your reply! yeah i got feedback from manchester and it was their ukcat cut off score

which unis did you apply to?

any recommendations on where to apply next year?
im the first person to apply to med in my family and dont really have any fam friends who have applied to med so I was completely on my own! I didnt reeally know where to start when applying for unis I jusst picked ones i met the requirements for :/ but defoo learnt my lesson!

My last uni is leeds - hopeful but its probs the most competitive lol but hopefully ill get an interview :smile:

where did your friend apply to?
Original post by jess_m94
Manchester: They have a ukcat cut off, which you were below, so if you unfortunately get 4 rejections this year and have to reapply, make sure you only apply there if you have 660+ ukcat (might be higher/lower, check the specific thread :smile:)
Leicester: gcses and ukcat. You need a combination of both high gcses and ukcat, so i would probably avoid it next year.
Southampton: they give offers purely on PS, so that was the decider for that

I'm sorry about your unis, but i do think you're right; it's not your application that was poor, but the places that you applied to!! next year, definitely research more!!!!
What's your fourth uni?

Gcses: my friend applied for med with 2A*s and he has had 2 interviews so far by applying smart :smile:
AS levels: i got abbbb, and i haven't got a rejection yet, so don't worry, they won't have affected your app :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply! i got an a* in maths, AA in english and A*AB in chem, physics and bio (1 UMS off an A! how frustrating!)

yeah i reckon next year if i do have to apply again then i have more chance of getting in. Id do soooo many things differently! But its just annoying having 3 rejections, it doesnt really leave me with much hope- all this time and effort spent into my application and to go through it alllllll again next year!

Do you have any advice as to where i should apply next year? :smile:

Original post by nkspence1
Don't panic! The rejections without interview are disappointing but also mean that it wasn't personal. In terms of Manchester, i know that their UKCAT cut-off point is very high this year (around 650) so that is probably the reason. Your GCSE grades are good, though not as strong as many other candidates. May i ask what you got in the cores subjects such as English, Maths and Science? They can sometimes demand an A or A* in these. However, if you do receive a fourth rejection and manage to get AAAa or higher at the end of this year, you can reapply and they won't care overly about your GCSEs. Also, you will have a full gap year to do non stop UKCAT practice, and so up your score this way. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't prepare or the UKCAT, you can! Your volunteering sounds brilliant and if you do reapply next year with good grades, i am sure you will stand a great chance!

Reply 5
Check my sig for my academic details but they're not far off from yours, my UCKAT was high butyou weren't far off and most people improve second time. I got 4 rejections last year and reluctantly took a gap year to reapply (I say reluctantly as I'm quite mature and so desperate to leave home).

Next year rather than focussing on which med school has the prettiest campus or your ideal course look at where you will get an interview and hence an offer. e.g. if Birmingham is your favourite campus and your ideal course with your GCSEs they won't even look at your application. Make sure nothing you have rules you out. Two of my choices this year are by far not my favourite, one I applied on a recommendation and 1 because they favoured re-applicants and A*s at A level and didn't look at GCSEs too much. I have an offer from one of them and I'm not going to turn it down just because medics are on a different campus (which is a real put off for me)

and remember its not over yet. My friend was in a similar situation last year with 3 rejections before interview, me and her were planning our gap year together. Early April she had an interview at bristol and got an offer mid april. Its not over till you've received all your decisions!
Reply 6
Reckon you should take a gap year and become a ski rep :P

If I don't get in due to no offers that's what I will be doing!

I wouldn't worry too much until you get your results, it is nice being offered but what is more important is your grades, push on hard until you do your exams and hope you get AAA and then universities are more likely to offer you a place due to already having the grades to get in.
Reply 7
Original post by nkspence1

It's even higher than that- I got rejected from Manchester without interview and the feedback I got was that my UKCAT of 657.5 wasn't high enough. :fuhrer:
Original post by Booyah
Reckon you should take a gap year and become a ski rep :P

If I don't get in due to no offers that's what I will be doing!

QUOTE]

That was my plan too, but my friend tried it and found it really really hard to get time off in the ski resort and struggled to get home for medicine interviews and stuff, he had to give it up half-way through. lots of people make it work though, just a warning!
Reply 9
thanks for your reply! yeah i got feedback from manchester and it was their ukcat cut off score
which unis did you apply to?
any recommendations on where to apply next year?
im the first person to apply to med in my family and dont really have any fam friends who have applied to med so I was completely on my own! I didnt reeally know where to start when applying for unis I jusst picked ones i met the requirements for :/ but defoo learnt my lesson!
My last uni is leeds - hopeful but its probs the most competitive lol but hopefully ill get an interview :smile:
where did your friend apply to?

I applied to Exeter, Leicester, Manchester and Newcastle :smile:

Urm I guess it just depends on your ukcat really, because for me that's the make or break score that can make it easy/difficult for you to get interviews (e.g. ukcat of 690+ guarantees 2 interviews for durham and newcastle) So yeah, after you get your ukcat start researching again :smile: ...I would just say try to apply to as few PS unis as possible, because it's difficult to know how good your ps is :smile:

Yeah, I was exactly the same, but TSR is all you need, i just spent hours and hours researching where would be best for me :smile:

I hope you do too! :smile:

He applied to Exeter, Leeds, Leicester and Southampton and has interviews for exeter and leicester :smile: Nothing from the other two yet :smile:
Reply 10
ahhh okay, i was soooo close to applying to exeter - dont know why i didnt! :frown: and yeah the ukcat is important for most unis.

do you know which unis really look at your ps and anyyy idea of where i might have a good chance of getting into next year? :smile: thanksss!

Original post by jess_m94
I applied to Exeter, Leicester, Manchester and Newcastle :smile:

Urm I guess it just depends on your ukcat really, because for me that's the make or break score that can make it easy/difficult for you to get interviews (e.g. ukcat of 690+ guarantees 2 interviews for durham and newcastle) So yeah, after you get your ukcat start researching again :smile: ...I would just say try to apply to as few PS unis as possible, because it's difficult to know how good your ps is :smile:

Yeah, I was exactly the same, but TSR is all you need, i just spent hours and hours researching where would be best for me :smile:

I hope you do too! :smile:

He applied to Exeter, Leeds, Leicester and Southampton and has interviews for exeter and leicester :smile: Nothing from the other two yet :smile:
Reply 11
ahhh okay, i was soooo close to applying to exeter - dont know why i didnt! :frown: and yeah the ukcat is important for most unis.
do you know which unis really look at your ps and anyyy idea of where i might have a good chance of getting into next year? :smile: thanksss!

It's good that you didn't, your ukcat would have been too low :smile:

You will find all of this information on the individual universities threads :smile:
Reply 12
hi guys, i hope you dont mind me asking for a bit of advice, i have just appllied for a levels and i am doing:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Maths
- Psychology

My GCSE predictions are 3A*s 6As 1B

i have already done volunteer work at a hospital for 1 week and i have another week booked, i work in Boots pharmacy and i am becoming a medicine trained dispenser.
i have some questions for you guys:

1) are my choices right (a levels)
2) am i doing the right thing
3)do my GCSES look ok??
Reply 13
Original post by Jess_Hills
hi guys, i hope you dont mind me asking for a bit of advice, i have just appllied for a levels and i am doing:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Maths
- Psychology

i have already done volunteer work at a hospital for 1 week and i have another week booked, i work in Boots pharmacy and i am becoming a medicine trained dispenser.

3)do my GCSES look ok??

Yes, yes and yes.
Reply 14
Thanks for your reply! i got an a* in maths, AA in english and A*AB in chem, physics and bio (1 UMS off an A! how frustrating!)

yeah i reckon next year if i do have to apply again then i have more chance of getting in. Id do soooo many things differently! But its just annoying having 3 rejections, it doesnt really leave me with much hope- all this time and effort spent into my application and to go through it alllllll again next year!

Do you have any advice as to where i should apply next year? :smile:

They're good, the AA in English can be especially important. I would wait until you did the UKCAT again before deciding and then do some very thorough research into where you are likely to get into. There are other important things too such as where you like, what sort of place would suit you etc. I would advise doing a course for the UKCAT, they are very expensive but i found mine well worth it. I reckon it upped my score by at least 100 points on what i was getting previously. Also, make some really solid gap year plans that you can talk about during interview, a lot of volunteering and maybe a bit of travelling or getting a job would probably go down well. The best advice i could give would be to apply strategically, to places that are most likely to accept you! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 15
Suggestions about where you could apply next year if you get AAAa/b improve your PS and possibly improving your UKCAT to 670/680: exeter, plymouth, liverpool, lancaster, St. Georges, BSMS and Sheffield and if you can get a A* (though this may not be needed but they give credit for them) UEA

also don't even make a statement in your PS about extra-curricular/volunteering/work experience without saying what you learnt from it. Last year I spent a whole paragraph talking about one thing I learnt, which just isn't enough. You don't need to expand too much, that's what interviews are mostly for (I say mostly because some uni's don't use your PS for interview)
If you get the grades to reapply for next yr, the best thing u should do is up ur UKCAT score because I think thats what let u down. And the best advice is to apply strategically and not to places u know you won't stand a chance at.
(Like birmingham because the heavily rely on GCSEs and also not Peninsula if you don't get an A* at A level). I was in ur position last year and I think those are the most helpful tips.
Reply 17
aww thanks! yeah still waiting for leeds - it taking agesss! i had a look at your sig, do you know which unis are okay with reapplicants?

now, i dont really care which med school i go to, just want to get in anywhere!

Original post by fw953
Check my sig for my academic details but they're not far off from yours, my UCKAT was high butyou weren't far off and most people improve second time. I got 4 rejections last year and reluctantly took a gap year to reapply (I say reluctantly as I'm quite mature and so desperate to leave home).

Next year rather than focussing on which med school has the prettiest campus or your ideal course look at where you will get an interview and hence an offer. e.g. if Birmingham is your favourite campus and your ideal course with your GCSEs they won't even look at your application. Make sure nothing you have rules you out. Two of my choices this year are by far not my favourite, one I applied on a recommendation and 1 because they favoured re-applicants and A*s at A level and didn't look at GCSEs too much. I have an offer from one of them and I'm not going to turn it down just because medics are on a different campus (which is a real put off for me)

and remember its not over yet. My friend was in a similar situation last year with 3 rejections before interview, me and her were planning our gap year together. Early April she had an interview at bristol and got an offer mid april. Its not over till you've received all your decisions!
Original post by Jess_Hills
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Maths
- Psychology

3)do my GCSES look ok??

Everything looks good just don't forget that you can never have to much experience when applying for medicine as its all beneficial
Reply 19
yeah im considering a course for the ukcat, most people in my school who got a really good score went to a course! do yo know where i would have a better chance at applying to next year? Where did you apply, where are you now, what was your application like [grade etc]

Thanks!!

:smile:

u
Original post by elitemodella
If you get the grades to reapply for next yr, the best thing u should do is up ur UKCAT score because I think thats what let u down. And the best advice is to apply strategically and not to places u know you won't stand a chance at.
(Like birmingham because the heavily rely on GCSEs and also not Peninsula if you don't get an A* at A level). I was in ur position last year and I think those are the most helpful tips.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending