The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of york - Chemistry interview

Hi guys! I have a interview on the 12th of march, I would love some insight on what they ask in the interview, also what should I bring ect :colondollar: . Thankkkkk you!!
Reply 1
Whoever is interviewing you will have likely made 'notes' from your personal statement. So if you've mentioned any books or particular interests within Chemistry, they'll ask you why you like it/what you've learnt. They might also bring up extra-curricular things you've mentioned not related to Chemistry. It all depends on who you have interviewing you - I think it's quite common place to be asked a logic/knowledge type question, but you could be lucky like me and have an interview where time runs out :tongue:

I don't remember bringing anything in particular with me besides a pen (although I've acquired a lovely orange Chemistry at York pen, which I have a feeling was from my interview).
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Accalia
Whoever is interviewing you will have likely made 'notes' from your personal statement. So if you've mentioned any books or particular interests within Chemistry, they'll ask you why you like it/what you've learnt. They might also bring up extra-curricular things you've mentioned not related to Chemistry. It all depends on who you have interviewing you - I think it's quite common place to be asked a logic/knowledge type question, but you could be lucky like me and have an interview where time runs out :tongue:

I don't remember bringing anything in particular with me besides a pen (although I've acquired a lovely orange Chemistry at York pen, which I have a feeling was from my interview).

Lucky you, I hope I get interview like that! My letter says its a group interview and the offer is guaranteed if I attend the interview, what that like your? I want to make York my firm so bad! What about you?
Reply 3
Original post by avatar 10
Lucky you, I hope I get interview like that! My letter says its a group interview and the offer is guaranteed if I attend the interview, what that like your? I want to make York my firm so bad! What about you?

I'm not sure about the group interview thing -- there was a group of us, but we were all interviewed separately (although at pretty much the same time).

I firmed it last year and am currently there now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Accalia
I'm not sure about the group interview thing -- there was a group of us, but we were all interviewed separately (although at pretty much the same time).

I firmed it last year and am currently there now :smile:

:eek: Is it as amazing as I think it actually is? xD
Reply 5
:eek: Is it as amazing as I think it actually is? xD

That depends on what you mean by amazing :tongue: I certainly don't regret choosing Chemistry or this university. I can't really compare it to any other universities, but I think on the scale of Chemistry-ness, it's been pretty good so far.
Reply 6
Original post by Accalia
That depends on what you mean by amazing :tongue: I certainly don't regret choosing Chemistry or this university. I can't really compare it to any other universities, but I think on the scale of Chemistry-ness, it's been pretty good so far.

Thank you for all your advice and insight! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thank you for all your advice and insight! :biggrin:

No problem :smile: feel free to message me if you have any questions about anything, and good luck with the interview.
Reply 8
Hi, if you don't mind me asking. What offer did you get? And what sort of questions do they ask you on the interview? :smile:
Reply 9
I'm at York too and had my interview last year. I would definitely say don't be nervous, it's not half as scary as I thought it would be!
We were split into 3 groups but that was just for tours, the interviews were all individual.
I was asked about things I'd written in my personal statement like my EPQ and work experiences and then he wrote an equation and asked me some questions about the thermodynamics and kinetics of it.
I hadn't done kinetics yet but my interviewer explained them and helped me get the right answer so I didn't feel under pressure at all.
It was informal and friendly and I didn't really bring anything with me.
And as for actually being here, I love it!!
Feel free to ask me anything else :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending