The Student Room Group

Aberdeen VS Sheffield (medicine)

Hi, I was wondering which is a better choice, between Aberdeen or Sheffield to study medicine. Currently, I have offers from both of the unis but I'm finding it hard to decide which of the two to choose. Any views on this?
Reply 1
sheffield!
Original post by Medboy7
Hi, I was wondering which is a better choice, between Aberdeen or Sheffield to study medicine. Currently, I have offers from both of the unis but I'm finding it hard to decide which of the two to choose. Any views on this?

There are several big differences between the two - do you want to live in England or Scotland? It's five or six years of your life, so pick carefully. Both have a big industrial background - Sheffield in steel, Aberdeen in oil. The unis are both in the cities themselves, Aberdeen is possibly slightly more campus based than Sheffield (and doesn't have a main road running right through the centre of it).

If you're an international student, Aberdeen has an airport with great links to London and Amsterdam for connecting international flights - on the other hand, Sheffield is only 2 hours by train to London, so it's six and half a dozen on travel time.

Look at the course content closely. Do you want to do lots of group work? Lectures? Problem solving activities? Look for 'special' features - Aberdeen do a 'remote & rural' option for ~20 students in 4th and 5th year which is based out of Inverness but means the opportunity to do placements in Shetland/Orkney/Wick/Stornoway/Mallaig/Skye etc, and see what medicine outside of civilisation towns/cities is like - it's a different experience practicing medicine where you have no CT/MRI scanner and depend on helicopters to move your patients between hospitals.
Sheffield !!! :love:
Reply 4
Hey, I'm in the same position as well, however with the addition of having another offer from Leeds. I'm not sure which uni i should firm :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending