The Student Room Group

How can I improve my luck with girls?

I am 25 and have always been single. I have tried my best to find a girl but have had no luck.

I participate in social activities I enjoy: I am a member of my local photography club, St Johns ambulance, member of a few food & drink clubs on meetup.com, been on a few speed dates and a member of match.com since 2008.

At uni I lived in halls but the girls there were already taken. I work in IT full time but its a male dominated organisation.

Also my female friends are all taken and I dont actually know any single girls.

Should I join more clubs and societies? Perhaps thats not targeted enough and I need to go on more speed dates?
Reply 1
Get a friend to hook you up? Go out to an over 21s bar with your friends and mingle? There's not a lot else you can do that you haven't tried really.
Hey mate, I always thought that dating sites and speed dating were sort of a secondary option. Even if you're in a male dominated company, there's still plenty of opportunities: (a) if you happen to go for a drink after work one friday evening at a pub, theres usually lots of single ladies with their work colleagues and it's a nice, comfortable and non-freaky way to meet someone (b) you're mates could potentially introduce you to a friend of theirs, their gf's friend etc.

If those fail, then yeah joining a club/society is a not bad idea. However, the problem is if you join for the sake of meeting a girl and are not really interested in the activity. So you may need to choose wisely - something thats popular, you enjoy includes girls of your age.

You can meet girls on nights out - not just the ons types, but I mean genuine ones. I've met one this year after going out with my mates. Recently though I havent had any time. Any who, thats probably an option.
Reply 3
Smile and flirt with girls you like. I'm 25 and single too and I look for guys who have a really cute smile! :smile: Remember you're only 25 so just have lots of fun! :biggrin:
Reply 4
As i work in central London we often go for drinks after work on Friday but I've never had any luck doing that.
Reply 5
Some people consider drinking establishments a bit of a threatening atmosphere, Its never been a place thats worked for me either.

I met my last gf by my own means I guess, I seen her in this group of people and decided I wanted to befriend them in order to get to know her xD, and it worked! been with her 2 years this may!

I personaly think though that finding someone through a common interest is always a good start, suprisingly gym has always been a good place for me to meet people, and I'm not exactly in great shape too lol

Hope any of that helps, good luck man!

btw im in IT too and in all my courses and jobs ive never had any exposure to a girl I liked as a result lol, both courses were 100% male and both jobs al older people mostly male, sucks dont it?

need more women in IT!
Reply 6
Original post by superduper9
Hey mate, I always thought that dating sites and speed dating were sort of a secondary option. Even if you're in a male dominated company, there's still plenty of opportunities: (a) if you happen to go for a drink after work one friday evening at a pub, theres usually lots of single ladies with their work colleagues and it's a nice, comfortable and non-freaky way to meet someone (b) you're mates could potentially introduce you to a friend of theirs, their gf's friend etc.

If those fail, then yeah joining a club/society is a not bad idea. However, the problem is if you join for the sake of meeting a girl and are not really interested in the activity. So you may need to choose wisely - something thats popular, you enjoy includes girls of your age.

You can meet girls on nights out - not just the ons types, but I mean genuine ones. I've met one this year after going out with my mates. Recently though I havent had any time. Any who, thats probably an option.

thats just not the case anymore.

both of the ways you listed are ways that teenagers meet partners.
Friends of friends is really hit and miss. only certain 'types' of girls will have plenty of single friends they are happy set their bf's mates up with at that age. once everybody has lived in the real world for 5 or 6 years, they tend to have fewer, close friends. With commitments, serious relationships and career, not many people have the time to maintain a network of casual friends. And i dont know about you OP, but I wouldnt want to be set up with any single girl that comes along.
The chances of your friends friends being single and your ideal type of partner are very slim once you get into the real world for a few years. and again this must be reciprocated.

Approaching strangers is so hit and miss. Its incredibly hard to approach somebody on a work do with two groups watching you. Unless you plan to chat people up constantly and systematically, the chances of you picking a random stranger who you would like as a long term partner are slim again.

Also, from most women I have known, most dont go to the pub/club to be approached by men. Not every single girl would be receptive to a stranger approaching them in a pub/club, especially whilst with colleagues.

Dating sites are perfectly acceptable nowadays. This isnt the 90's with the cringey video tape format.

It takes no more effort than maintaining a facebook profile, and you have access to people you know who are single and looking, and can make a judgement on more than 'she looks fit'.

A very large number of relationships now start online (as in they met online), you can stick to the antiquated view, but it offers a better chance of success than simply pot luck approaching women in bars.
Reply 7
I am a member of even match.com but i get refunded every 6 months! Most girls receive 100s of emails from guys so its very hard to get noticed.
Original post by c471
thats just not the case anymore.

both of the ways you listed are ways that teenagers meet partners.
Friends of friends is really hit and miss. only certain 'types' of girls will have plenty of single friends they are happy set their bf's mates up with at that age. once everybody has lived in the real world for 5 or 6 years, they tend to have fewer, close friends. With commitments, serious relationships and career, not many people have the time to maintain a network of casual friends. And i dont know about you OP, but I wouldnt want to be set up with any single girl that comes along.
The chances of your friends friends being single and your ideal type of partner are very slim once you get into the real world for a few years. and again this must be reciprocated.

Approaching strangers is so hit and miss. Its incredibly hard to approach somebody on a work do with two groups watching you. Unless you plan to chat people up constantly and systematically, the chances of you picking a random stranger who you would like as a long term partner are slim again.

Also, from most women I have known, most dont go to the pub/club to be approached by men. Not every single girl would be receptive to a stranger approaching them in a pub/club, especially whilst with colleagues.

Dating sites are perfectly acceptable nowadays. This isnt the 90's with the cringey video tape format.

It takes no more effort than maintaining a facebook profile, and you have access to people you know who are single and looking, and can make a judgement on more than 'she looks fit'.

A very large number of relationships now start online (as in they met online), you can stick to the antiquated view, but it offers a better chance of success than simply pot luck approaching women in bars.

I never said dating sites aren't acceptable. I just said that I didn't think that they were the go to option for most people - that was my perception. If that's the truth or not would require quite a large poll!

From your counter arguments, someone would think that it's impossible to meet, approach or talk to girls. I think you're over complicating things by cutting down the possibility of chatting to girls on nights out. I never said approach every single girl you meet or you could possibly have a shot with. I would only approach a girl if I thought in my own mind that we could be a potential match.

I agree that everyone's friends circle typically reduces with time. However, I must say that I'm still close friends with 3 people I went to secondary school with and very good friends with those I went to uni with - I still see both sets of people regularly. They may not know who my ideal partner is, but I haven't closed the door on them introducing me to someone.

From what my girl mates have said and having approached a few girls myself, I know it's not an impossible task - they're human after all and looking for similar things like us boys. Yes, I agree, it can be hit and miss, but that's part of it all. You win some and you lose some. If you restricted yourself to not approaching girls anywhere, e.g. pubs, clubs, nights out, parties etc, then you're hugely reducing the chances. By all means, dating sites may work, but I'm just saying that the tried and tested methods of talking to girls you meet still works!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending