The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature WJEC anyone? 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L.O.V.E
I also hated the tempest/Faustus questions and some people just have up and walked out of the exam because they were so bad :frown: I could feel all the marks slipping away because I was writing complete rubbish, I just wanted to start crying because it was so bad and English is my best subject as well.

I know the feeling, honestly. I definitely didn't put enough deep analysis in, because I wasn't really sure what they were looking for in that answer, so I think my essay was quite all over the place really.

It probably wasn't rubbish! It was likely more a feeling that you could have done better, which is different. :smile: It is over now anyway, I guess.
Original post by RainReader
Hopefully that will carry you through then! I really liked the first question as well- though maybe I have misplaced confidence in it. I just hope it did go okay, because the second part definitely didn't!

I guess with the comic scenes you can talk about the parallels between the main plot and them...like the theme of servitude etc, but I just wasn't really sure how you could include context in that answer? I don't know.

That exam was like a bad dream to be honest...XD

context and also I knew like barely any quotes for that so had to go with the other question so :/ :/ gahh it was awful!
Reply 262
Does anyone know what 72% for the entire year would be grade wise? :smile:
Original post by MFlan
Does anyone know what 72% for the entire year would be grade wise? :smile:

it would be a B :-)
60+ = C
70+ = B
80+ = A
90+ = A*

Any one here do Milton!?
Reply 264
Meh this is the only exam in which I have no clue how good or bad I did..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could people tell me what books they studied for their prose study coursework in year 12?
Original post by Kousar
Hello peeps!

Interested in anyone else who studies A2 WJEC Lit, I'm studying King Lear and Oedipus Rex. Also Paradise Lost book 9 by Milton.

Is anyone else doing this?

I'm really aspirational with my A Levels and hope to take Literature further at Uni. I got an A grade in AS paper (I was 2 marks off an A in the exam but my CW pushed my grade up).

With this is mind, is it still possible for me to get an A*? I'd love that....

I'm worried about the exam being 'closed text' though.

Would like your WJECies thoughts please, aha :colone:

I'm also doing King Lear and Oedipus Rex, as well as The Mayor of Casterbridge and some collection of poetry that for some reason my English teacher refuses to say what it is. :confused:

I've read and annotated all my books already - it's been a long summer. I'm pleased about King Lear, it's one of his finest methinks. How did you fare in your last exam?
Original post by kelseyclarke

Any one here do Milton!?

I'm reading 'Lycidas' as part of my EPQ project.
Original post by Kousar
Gahhhh. Don't remind me.... o.O lol Our class hasn't even finished studying King Lear yet nor Oedipus Rex. In terms of memorisation, I want to memorise as much as I can. I'm that kind of person, I have to have a lot of detail otherwise I feel under-prepared in exams. I do this for history. But I'm not even familiar with the text yet, I need to start revising in these holidays. Got so much to dooooo :'((((

Could I ask what your class did at the start of the year then?

Did you not do Section A with one teacher then Section B with another?
Reply 269
Original post by s_axo
Really glad that's over! Phew wasn't too bad at all. Did Measure for Measure and Blake :smile: I really hope everyone did well! You all deserve it.

Hey do you possibly remember what questions came up for measure for measure? :smile:
I'm doing As English Lit/Lang (WJEC) at the moment, saw that for LL1 the mean mark for WJEC was around 48/80, C. That stat frightens me a bit. Can anyone share their grades and experiences with LL1 or any advice at all. Anything will be appreciated! Trying to push for a 90%+ avg in all subjects.. thanks in advance.
Original post by I_H
Hello... I'm also on WJEC, and have just been searching for what A* grade boundaries has been in previous years - cannot find it anywhere!

I know I'm no help to you, but if anybody does have any idea what the grade boundaries are then I'd love to know!

(Btw - I'm doing Hamlet & Revenger's Tragedy, aswell as The Wife of Bath's Tale :smile: )

I'm hoping to get an A* in lit too. I don't know a lot about it, but I do know you have to have 80% at AS and 90% at A2 to get an A* overall. So basically you can't get an A* in just one unit (coursework or exam). Also you can't work out how many raw marks you'll need in the A2 exam to secure an A* overall because you know the grade boundaries change slightly each year depending on how well/badly the country does with English results.
I have looked around for past grade boundaries, but I couldn't find any. The whole system is rather confusing to me, if you don't find anything either I'd say speak to your English teacher and ask them to help you work it out. It would be worth doing because then you'll have a clearer idea what grade you need to achieve in the exam coming up soon.
Good luck! :biggrin:
Can anyone tell me if you think iv'e extremely messed up. I did "Hamlet inspires sympathy in an audience, relate to Vindice"

Intro - disagreed and said that actually it's the audience's religious views that inspire an audience's sympathy.

Develop 1: Femininty

Hamlet is horrible to Ophelia caling her 'monstrous' etc etc accusing her of being evil, dehumanizing her. I linked it to Rt where JR bro says that he died for what woman love - showing that it is actually men causing harm. I said that it could be possible hamlet is biased as a result of his study at wittenburg and hung up on the idea of 'incestuous sheets', the sibbliance emphasising the sound of a snake showing Hamlet's misojyny - showing that an audience may sympathise more with Ophelia.

Develop 2: Death. 'Alas poor yorick', man of 'infinite jest'. - showing all things that are powerful, happiness can die as he is degraded to a mere skull. Linked it to a Vindice's wife 'heaven pointed diamonds in those unsightly rings'. 'diamonds emphasises beauty, however it has become 'unsightly rings'. eyes are the windows of a soul - showing that even the soul can turn disgusting in death. This would sympathise with christian reader's as they would have a belief of eternal life, but yet the disgust of death is emphaised by Hamlet and Vindice - linked to an RSC performance I saw where skulls covered the tage.

Develop 3- leads to a major moral question as to whether sympathy can be had for the main villain of claudius. He repents, yet the suffering Old Hamlet has may convince a Christian audience that God is injust, sympathising with OH.

What do you think? I basicly disagreed with the question

I need an A
Reply 273
Original post by R3cognize
I did my A-levels last year and got A* for English Literature (WJEC), though I studied different texts (Hamlet + RT). What I would say, though, is make sure you know the assessment objectives inside out! Whenever I wrote an exam the different AOs were a constant thought in my mind and I would make a mental note whenever I used one. Give the examiners what they want - but make sure not to waffle. Refer to the essay title throughout and make sure your essay is centred on the question. That may seem like I'm pointing out the obvious, but too many students try to adapt the question to their liking.

Do you have any exemplar essays or notes ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending