The Student Room Group

Which one for a first car?

Hi guys, looking for some opinions on a few cars I've got my eye for my first car. Keep in mind I'm looking for a car that's cheap and cheap on insurance for my first year or two of driving.

I'm looking at a Clio, Corsa, Polo or a 206... so my question is, does anyone have experience in any of those cars? Which ones are usually the most reliable? I know these 4 options cost around the same in total for both the car and insurance, so I'm basically trying to make up my mind as to which one I want. Are any of them easy to drive? Nice to drive? Cheap to run (not much goes wrong with them usually)?

Also, if you could suggest any other cars around the other price and why you suggest that car, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you guys in advance for your help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go for something japanese like an older style Micra, and you won't go wrong personally. They never break down. They are pretty fun to drive, easy to fix if anything does go wrong, and they feel bigger when you are in them that you would think.

You may think I'm joking, but the Nissan Micra is my first car. It had only done 10,000 miles when I bought it for £1,200 a few years ago. Its at 16k now, and it was built in 2002.
Its a 1.0 but its very nippy in my opinion when you want it to be. Much faster with just you, than when you have a passenger/a few passengers though.

The Polo might be a nice starter car too
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a Clio 02 plate.
My car insurance is £1,300 (fire and theft) and I have been driving 5 months. The car is very reliable. I have had some work on it but that was more of improvements rather than fixing anything. Nice to drive and can fit 4 passengers in so it's good for taking friends out. Boot is good is size. At the most I put £10 in a week for fuel. I put £20 3 weeks ago and I still have 2/3 of a tank left.

Original post by jimbles

I'm looking at a Clio, Corsa, Polo or a 206... so my question is, does anyone have experience in any of those cars? Which ones are usually the most reliable? I know these 4 options cost around the same in total for both the car and insurance, so I'm basically trying to make up my mind as to which one I want. Are any of them easy to drive? Nice to drive? Cheap to run (not much goes wrong with them usually)?

Also, if you could suggest any other cars around the other price and why you suggest that car, I'd appreciate it!

Reply 3
Would a corsa be the same on insurance as a 206? I'd check that... Corsa's have a bit of a rep with first time drivers and the boy racer culture. I agree with the micra comment above. Fiat Punto's and the old Astras are super cheap. Ford Focus' are pretty reliable, 10 a penny, and good for transporting things in. We've moved house in ours, and it's carried a 6 foot plus solid wood bookcase.
Reply 4
Primary uses will be for commuting home now and again from uni, as well as driving to training and to uni for lectures, and obviously shopping
Reply 5
'Ello. I owned a Renault Clio for over five years and, in that time, didn't have a single issue with it. Never broke down on me, never had problems with parts, it was so reliable. So for reliability, definitely the Clio. Mine was a 2001 Expression 1.2 and it was great. Only reason I don't still drive it is that I can't afford to!

My sister has a Corsa and loves it, no problems so far but she's only had it for a year. Can't speak for the other two but I loved my Clio, it feels slightly heavier to drive than, say, a Ford Fiesta but feels very solid. And the boot size is great. Tax cost isn't bad, either.
In terms of Reliability, even despite the posters above saying their Clio was reliable, on average though, I'd go with a toyota yaris.

Japanese cars put others to shame when it comes to reliability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for the input so far guys! it's helpful
Reply 8
I've been driving a Corsa for the past year, and although it's old (P-reg) and it's done about 150k miles it's never let me down. I had to replace the battery just before Christmas but that was only £40, so I haven't really spent anything on it. My insurance was £1100, but I went through Cooperative Young Drivers.

I have a 206 now, and they're just as reliable. Personally, I find it a more comfortable drive and the gears/brakes are far more responsive than they were in my Corsa (though that may be because it's a few years younger). Either way, they're both great cars.
Reply 9
Original post by jimbles
Hi guys, looking for some opinions on a few cars I've got my eye for my first car. Keep in mind I'm looking for a car that's cheap and cheap on insurance for my first year or two of driving.

Depends on your budget......I would have said the Toyota yaris, inside is definitely nice.
Other than that the polo is what I would prefer.
Reply 10
Original post by Kage
Go for something japanese like an older style Micra, and you won't go wrong personally. They never break down. They are pretty fun to drive, easy to fix if anything does go wrong, and they feel bigger when you are in them that you would think.

You may think I'm joking, but the Nissan Micra is my first car. It had only done 10,000 miles when I bought it for £1,200 a few years ago. Its at 16k now, and it was built in 2002.
Its a 1.0 but its very nippy in my opinion when you want it to be. Much faster with just you, than when you have a passenger/a few passengers though.

+1 for old Nissan Micra.
I have a 2000 1 litre corsa
Insurance was relatively cheap in comparison with others- 2.5k the first year (stupid penis) down to ~800 for year 2
Great MPG as well :biggrin:
Sister had a 1.2 clio- few spectacular breakdowns- head gasket and something else
Love my car :biggrin:

Can strap 4 boats + paddles, fill the boot and head to different parts of the country :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jimbles

Ive had a Clio and a 206. Loved them both and they're both brilliant first cars! :smile:
Original post by RadioHawk
I have a 2000 1 litre corsa
Insurance was relatively cheap in comparison with others- 2.5k the first year (stupid penis) down to ~800 for year 2
Great MPG as well :biggrin:
Sister had a 1.2 clio- few spectacular breakdowns- head gasket and something else
Love my car :biggrin:

Can strap 4 boats + paddles, fill the boot and head to different parts of the country :biggrin:

2.5K first year? 1wtf?

I'd never EVER pay that much, that's rape. I'm now paying £996 with Diamond for a 1.4L corsa SRI, I live in SE London too! and I'm only 18!
Reply 14
Its best to choose a cheaper to run car, that will be cheap on insurance too.

First year was around 1,600, second year was around 1000, and this year I'm looking in the 500-600 figure.
Reply 15
Don't forget the Ford Fiesta - with the 1.25 engine they are great little cars.

As for insurance, get lots of quotes and go from there. It is not directly related to engine size or insurance group as most people seem to think it is, so spend some time checking.

Parents on as named drivers, car NOT in the garage, low annual mileage, and possibly a 10 month accelerator policy from Admiral and paying your premium in one lump sum is what I would do.
Reply 16
Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo are dirt cheap to insure as well. Little 1 litre engine but surprisingly nippy. I loved driving one when I test drove it, handled like a little go-kart. Not quite "old mini" but not too bad.

60mpg as well - you can get 450-500 miles from a 7 gallon tank!

Boot is a little on the snug side though but the seats drop easy enough, and they're split so it's not either or with them, you can put one down and still have 1 person in the back.
Reply 17
I agree, I got a c1 06 plate, 1600 insurance and tax 25 a year, no problems so far and not mega slow, comfortable on motorways

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a Corsa, and it was expensive on insurance but any car on insurance for me is absolutely ridiculous because of my area.

But apart from that i absolutely love it! I had a Citroen C2 for a while but hated it and got the Corsa instead, i really love how it drives. It's also good at helping me with mistakes, obviously as i have only just passed i still have a lot of learning to do and not everything goes right (for me) but i have pulled away in second gear from stopped at a roundabout, and even 3rd gear when i was almost stopped and it didn't stall on me. I like it because it puts up with my mistakes (obviously eventually i hope to not make these mistakes) But i do recommend a Corsa's, the other car may be better obviously i have never tried them but i love my Corsa :smile:

Edit: Forgot to add, it's a nippy little car :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kage

I agree.
My 2nd car was a nissan micra. You cant go wrong personally. They are mega reliable, they are easy and cheap to fix if things do go wrong. There are plenty about, so you should be able to get a decent one within your price range. They are decent to drive etc. And they are about as cheap as you will get insurance wise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending