The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ryanx623
Yep

EEE is the best imo, dont you think ?
Original post by Ilovemaths96
just finished my first year of uni. there was a talk at the beginning of the year about joining the IET. Wanted to but never got round to it.
do you think it would be a good idea of joining the IET and/or IEEE?

Thanks

What uni you at ?
Guys, so what uni's are you lot going to ?
Original post by dahl786
Guys, so what uni's are you lot going to ?

Bristol wbu ?
Original post by cabdi2014
Bristol wbu ?

Nottingham
Original post by Stickman

Hey,
I applied to both Computer Science & EEE with Computer Science at UCL.
My main goal is Computer Science, but if an offer doesn't come through and I end up with an EEEwCS offer, I don't know if I should take it.

What more could you add? In terms of what goes on. Practical side, theoretical side etc.

Also, in the case of that happening, would it be possible that once uni starts, I change courses to Comp Sci?
Original post by edothero
Hey,
I applied to both Computer Science & EEE with Computer Science at UCL.
My main goal is Computer Science, but if an offer doesn't come through and I end up with an EEEwCS offer, I don't know if I should take it.

What more could you add? In terms of what goes on. Practical side, theoretical side etc.

Also, in the case of that happening, would it be possible that once uni starts, I change courses to Comp Sci?

The CS dept at UCL is excellent. You shouldn't reject the offer purely based that it is combined with an EE degree. I am doing EE right now but I'm thinking of doing a combined with CS degree.

I would say that the advantages of having an engineering background (EE) greatly outweighs the background you will get only in CS, dependent on what you want to achieve. If you want to know in depth about how computers work and the engineering behind them then doing the EE degree is actually really beneficial. If you're more interested in the maths, number theory, pure algorithms, then go for the CS degree.

EE is more practical based rather than CS. You'll end up doing more programming with CS, obviously, but there's still programming in EE (but as engineers say, we only do what's required = nothing more, nothing less = efficiency)

I'm not too sure if you can switch immediately from EE to CS once uni starts but I'd choose the course wisely. Don't fret if you get into EE w/ CS. That is the optimum sort of degree that undergraduates these days are looking for. Certainly it's a biased viewpoint since I'll do a EE w/ CS degree from 3rd year onwards.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply, as a current student your opinions is very valuable.

What kind of programming do you do? I'm aware its definitely not as much as CS, but how much less do you do? And what languages etc.

I'm more mathematically minded, so like I said; CS alone would definitely suit me more. But based on the offers that I receive, I will definitely look more into EEE if needed.

Thank you again.
Original post by edothero
Thank you for your reply, as a current student your opinions is very valuable.

What kind of programming do you do? I'm aware its definitely not as much as CS, but how much less do you do? And what languages etc.

I'm more mathematically minded, so like I said; CS alone would definitely suit me more. But based on the offers that I receive, I will definitely look more into EEE if needed.

Thank you again.

In the first year we did C and Java. C we went into more depth, i.e. into pointers. Java was only a few weeks but enough to make a calculator app of basic arithmetic. I can't comment on how much more CS did but it was definitely more the D modules from maths that they cover - like the different algorithms and also more on number theory I believe. And if you say that you are more mathematically minded then definitely CS would be the option for you to develop more of that rather than the engineering side of things.

But then again, come to the open days, you can even drop an email to one of the admissions tutors to get more inside opinion.
Reply 169
Hey guys :smile:
Which are the best places to study EEE?
Could anyone rank Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Surrey from 1 to 5?
Thanks a lot!
Original post by suny97
Hey guys :smile:
Which are the best places to study EEE?
Could anyone rank Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Surrey from 1 to 5?
Thanks a lot!

They're all more or less even, which one is best for you depends on personal preference. Look at the course structure for each in detail and see if there's anything that particularly appeals to you. It's also a good idea to look at the university and location in general as those are the other major factors that will probably affect your choice.

If you can, go to some open days. You'll be able to learn more about the course, directly from the people who run it, as well as get a feel for the city and university as a whole.
Reply 171
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
They're all more or less even, which one is best for you depends on personal preference. Look at the course structure for each in detail and see if there's anything that particularly appeals to you. It's also a good idea to look at the university and location in general as those are the other major factors that will probably affect your choice.

If you can, go to some open days. You'll be able to learn more about the course, directly from the people who run it, as well as get a feel for the city and university as a whole.

Thanks! The problem is that I'm an international applicant and cannot go to on open day
Original post by suny97
Thanks! The problem is that I'm an international applicant and cannot go to on open day

Ah, ok. In that case, just try to find out as much as you can about them online. I don't know much about the differences between their courses but the cities are very different.

Also, I'm currently studying EEE at Manchester so if you have any questions about that one in particular, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
Original post by suny97

Since you are an international student, Edinburgh and Manchester have a better world-wide reputation. Moreover, if you are applying for an undergrad degree, you should bare in mind that the degrees in England are 3-4 years, whereas in Scotland 4-5 years long.
Which unis are the best respected by the big technology firms (apple, google, microsoft e.g.) and even investment banks, in the uk?
Original post by chrisidialu
Which unis are the best respected by the big technology firms (apple, google, microsoft e.g.) and even investment banks, in the uk?

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL
Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL

Well, UCL's Engineering Department is pretty crap
Original post by alexkol
Well, UCL's Engineering Department is pretty crap

The question was which ones are best respected... These 4 (including UCL) are well known worldwide and so have much higher reputation than say Edinburgh or Manchester. UCL's engineering dept was not in the question. But FYI the Computer Science dept at UCL == Cambridge.
Hello, I intend to study electronic engineering. Maths, programming and hardware devices are my favourites. Though I'm not so good at physics but I enjoy some parts like quantum physics, wave, light. Do you guys think EEE is really appropriate for me? Also please give me some ideas of what we're going to learn in this course?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maths2002
Hello, I intend to study electronic engineering. Maths, programming and hardware devices are my favourites. Though I'm not so good at physics but I enjoy some parts like quantum physics, wave, light. Do you guys think EEE is really appropriate for me? Also please give me some ideas of what we're going to learn in this course?

computer engineering.

youre welcome

Quick Reply

Latest