The Student Room Group

A-level combination

Psychology
History
English Literature

And for my fourth option I'm thinking either: ICT, Art, and maybe geography if my school offers it.

What can I do with my choices, are they a good choice and should I change any?

I am definitely not doing maths, chemistry, physics and probably not considering biology.

thank you.
Reply 1
Geography is the better choice out of that list. Scrap psychology -- it's not very well respected and my friends who take it hate it -- and take a language and you have a very good set of subjects :smile:

The more respected A levels by University are:
Mathematics and Further Mathematics
English (Literature)
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
History
Languages (Classical and Modern)
source:http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

Taking out the sciences and maths:
English (Literature)
Geography
History
Languages (Classical and Modern)

That is a good mix of humanities subjects. They are all well respected subjects.

Pretty much all humanities subjects will be open to you at degree level as well as vocational stuff like Law.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Sort of disagree with the above... I would only scrap psychology for geography, if you have a particular aptitude for geography, e.g. a good GCSE result , or if the course is particularly interesting.
Reply 3
Original post by Presenttime
Sort of disagree with the above... I would only scrap psychology for geography, if you have a particular aptitude for geography, e.g. a good GCSE result , or if the course is particularly interesting.

Do you disagree with the fact (making it redundant, I guess, but anyway...) that psychology is not a respected subject?
I will find the University subject power chart. Give me a couple of mins.

EDIT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

that is a very good guide to which subjects you want to be choosing to enhance your application relative to tapestry and dolphin behavioural studies students :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Unless you want to do psychology as a degree perhaps...
Reply 5
Original post by Presenttime
Unless you want to do psychology as a degree perhaps...

of course. If that is the case then my argument is probably redundant :smile:
However, OP, you will find that lot's of people who study psychology at degree level didn't at A Level and you will also find that there is a preference for science subjects. I believe that most applicants for psychology have 2 sciences to A level (usually psychology and biology). If you are interested in pursuing that route then those subjects would be ideal :smile:

EDIT: (just because I did it in my other posts) Source:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Psychology_Degree#Academic_Requirements

I presume stats will be pretty important in regards to case studies etc in psychology so if you are not going to offer maths at A level it would probably make sense make sure you at least get an A at GCSE if possible :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
What do you want to do in the future? They seem to be decent subjects, which of the other 3 do you enjoy?
Original post by Majeee97
Psychology
History
English Literature

And for my fourth option I'm thinking either: ICT, Art, and maybe geography if my school offers it.

What can I do with my choices, are they a good choice and should I change any?

I am definitely not doing maths, chemistry, physics and probably not considering biology.

thank you.

The most important thing to consider is whether you are going to enjoy studying each of your subjects.

As for what can you do, I don't think your choices limit you too much. If you want to apply to university it is probably worth having an A-level in the subject that you want to apply to do (or something similar). For science degrees obviously they want you to have science subjects, and I'd guess that humanities prefer humanity subjects. Psychology is in fact a science, and some universities will count it as a science subject, despite it's unfortunate reputation of being 'softer' than other sciences - it is still way better that sociology in my opinion :colondollar: In my experience, biology is useful if you want to study psychology further, but it is not a necessary qualification to get onto a psychology course. History and english are probably quite complementary, I hear that they both involve writing skills etc that can be useful across a range of study and work options, although I've studied neither of them personally!

It depends what you want to do, but again, I'll always say that you should make choices that you will enjoy, because there's no use doing something that will make you have a really bad time!
Reply 8
Just found out that my school does not offer Geography =(

But I got into 6th form =D

Whoooo!!!!! Party !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest