The Student Room Group

How do you actually get on a date...

...and not have to go through the whole technology thing? It feels as though these days I have to jump through hoops to get anywhere these days. Like technology all of a sudden has made things easier. Text, social networking, all of it.

I mean, if a girl insists on giving you her Facebook or adding you, should you just say '**** it' and walk away, because from my experience nothing good comes out of FB. There are sorts of girls who insist on FB adding.

I'm not talking about going out on the pull and one night stands. Things more meaningful.

Where are these girls who don't faff about too much with technology like me? :frown: or am I a dinosaur and need to adapt? I'm sick of phones, texting, social networking, all of it. It's not fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Surely texting isn't too high-tech, it's an easy way to contact someone without the awkwardness of a phone call. That's probably the easiest way that doesn't involve facebook. When I met the guy I'm seeing he asked for my number, and then the next day he called me and asked me on a date and we went from there :smile:
Original post by datpiff
I mean, if a girl insists on giving you her Facebook or adding you, should you just say '**** it' and walk away, because from my experience nothing good comes out of FB. There are sorts of girls who insist on FB adding.

Wut.
Reply 3
Social networking is not necessary to arrange a date (I'm not on Facebook at all), but you do need some way to communicate so that you can organise things.

My boyfriend and I are long distance so from the beginning, we have mostly used email, although if the Royal Mail were quicker, cheaper and more reliable, then we would probably write letters (we're real dinosaurs! :biggrin: ).
Reply 4
Original post by Harley
Surely texting isn't too high-tech, it's an easy way to contact someone without the awkwardness of a phone call. That's probably the easiest way that doesn't involve facebook. When I met the guy I'm seeing he asked for my number, and then the next day he called me and asked me on a date and we went from there :smile:

I don't like texting. It's not very personal. It's more faff. Least with FB you can tell if they read your message. You don't get a direct answer with text and I like getting a feel for what that person sounds like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by theorangebox
Wut.

I was trying to say some girls just don't give numbers anymore or insist on taking them. There are quite a lot. They whip out their phone and say 'are you on Facebook?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by datpiff
I don't like texting. It's not very personal. It's more faff. Least with FB you can tell if they read your message. You don't get a direct answer with text and I like getting a feel for what that person sounds like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you need some way to communicate with the person you want to meet, how do you feel about phoning them? I personally hate phone calls and find them awkward but you might find them more personal, and you don't have to wonder if they're dinghying you.
Original post by datpiff
I was trying to say some girls just don't give numbers anymore or insist on taking them. There are quite a lot. They whip out their phone and say 'are you on Facebook?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm more confused as to what bad experiences you've had? :lolwut: Like I'm aware some people don't have facebook and that's fine, but the overwhelming, overwhelming majority of all the people I know, male and female, family, co-workers and friends, both have facebook and use it as their primary means of communication. Pretty much every new person I meet for any length of time either asks me for my facebook or finds me through mutual friends we already have. I don't understand what you mean by 'some people.'

Like I really don't mean to doubt your experiences or anything, I'm sure we just come from different circles, but for me it's genuinely baffling that you think there's a certain 'sort' of people who do this or that its apparently only girls. To me that sounds like someone saying "I don't like the sort of people who use tinopeners" or "I say '**** it' when a girl tells me she likes ice cream, it's a bad sign." It just makes no sense.

Again, I don't mean to be disrespectful, I'm just shocked because I've never heard this attitude before. Or (at least!) certainly not in the last three years or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending