The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Brynderw Halls

Hey all,

I will be starting at Aberystwyth in September and I'm ridiculously excited!
I've been allocated a place in Brynderw accommodation and was wondering if anyone who has stayed there or is currently staying there could tell me what it's like?
I have watched the video about it, but I guess I'd just like a little more information.

And anyone else who has been allocated those halls, I look forward to meeting you!
(edited 10 years ago)
As said in a previous comment, in the next couple of weeks I'm making a series of videos going round each halls, basically like the Aber Insiders ones but more up to date and more honest. The ones by Aber Insiders were one sided as they were official university ones. I'll post the YouTube links when the videos are online. :smile:

To answer your question, I don't live in Brynderw but go every now and again to visit friends. The kitchens are rather small when compared to the ones in Rosser or the refurbished Cwrt Mawr flats. The bedrooms are slightly bigger than the bedrooms up on campus as they don't have a vanity unit. The flats are generally older and are probably on par with the older Cwrt Mawr flats. Slightly off topic but the difference between the refurbished Cwrt Mawr flats and the old ones is massive. Brynderw is significantly cheaper than all the other halls so your bank balance will breathe easy! :h:

Do you have any specific questions? I can ask my friends that live there and/or address them in the video. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Awesome, thanks for mentioning the videos, will keep an eye out for them :smile:

You've pretty much answered my kinda main worries, I was just curious about the difference between the budget singles and the standard singles, but it doesn't sound too bad. The small kitchen might be a problem but I'm sure that it'll be fine.

I guess my main question would be, do your friends enjoy staying there?
Like, do they wish they had gotten a standard room when compared to the budget rooms?
From the video the guy seemed really happy with it, but like you said, they were Aber official videos so they can't really be honest with everything.
i'm in Brynderw! Paid my deposit this morning wooo
Reply 4
Just finished my fresher year in Brynderw so feel free to ask any questions, to be totally honest it is cheap and cheerful, not high (awful) quality, perfect location for town and Iceland and Lidl right down the road.

Main problems I had were the crappy heating taking 4 hours to turn off and on
Reply 5
Original post by Politicsftw
Just finished my fresher year in Brynderw so feel free to ask any questions, to be totally honest it is cheap and cheerful, not high (awful) quality, perfect location for town and Iceland and Lidl right down the road.

Main problems I had were the crappy heating taking 4 hours to turn off and on

Is it bearable for the academic year?
I've heard mixed reviews (some from folk who haven't even stayed there) and I just need an honest perspective from someone who has been there.
I'd rather be prepared for the bad stuff :P
Is it as bad as some people make it out to be?
Reply 6
Original post by BeeFace
Is it bearable for the academic year?
I've heard mixed reviews (some from folk who haven't even stayed there) and I just need an honest perspective from someone who has been there.
I'd rather be prepared for the bad stuff :P
Is it as bad as some people make it out to be?

Okay to give you the worse, Brynderw is famous for their silverfish (google them) infection, the kitchens are old and grubby, but with that said last year it was more than bearable, and so worth the extra money in my pocket
Reply 7
Okay to give you the worse, Brynderw is famous for their silverfish (google them) infection, the kitchens are old and grubby, but with that said last year it was more than bearable, and so worth the extra money in my pocket

Seriously? Is the silverfish infection bad? Or do the uni help in getting it under control?
I can cope with the old and grubby kitchens and of course, the extra money in my pocket, but not gonna lie, that silverfish thing has me worried :P
Reply 8
Original post by BeeFace
Seriously? Is the silverfish infection bad? Or do the uni help in getting it under control?
I can cope with the old and grubby kitchens and of course, the extra money in my pocket, but not gonna lie, that silverfish thing has me worried :P

The silverfish thing is a problem in all the halls, just the worst in Brynderw, mainly seen at night in the loos, if you keep your room clean and kitchen you will rarely see them.
Reply 9
The silverfish thing is a problem in all the halls, just the worst in Brynderw, mainly seen at night in the loos, if you keep your room clean and kitchen you will rarely see them.

Ahh! That's not so bad then, I can cope with them being confined mainly to the bathroom haha.
Was worried they would be all over my room.
Original post by BeeFace
Ahh! That's not so bad then, I can cope with them being confined mainly to the bathroom haha.
Was worried they would be all over my room.

yeah despite the hype around the halls, I would choose Brynderw again, that hill though!
Reply 11
yeah despite the hype around the halls, I would choose Brynderw again, that hill though!

That's really good to hear!
Minus the hill :P
That's relaxed me though, Brynderw seems to get the most stick, but it is the cheapest, but I'm glad to hear you'd choose it again, can't be that bad :smile:
Reply 12
I was just allocated (and confirmed) a place in Brynderw for this year as well. Honestly the price and location drove my decision to put it high up on my preferences.

I am a bit nervous about the condition of the kitchen, as I do like to cook some. Also, this whole silverfish thing doesn't leave me too optimistic, but I figure what I'll save this year can be used to get better (hopefully private) accommodation for the following year!
Reply 13
Original post by je13
I was just allocated (and confirmed) a place in Brynderw for this year as well. Honestly the price and location drove my decision to put it high up on my preferences.

I am a bit nervous about the condition of the kitchen, as I do like to cook some. Also, this whole silverfish thing doesn't leave me too optimistic, but I figure what I'll save this year can be used to get better (hopefully private) accommodation for the following year!

The price drove my decision aswell.
The silverfish did make me nervous when it was mentioned, but all the halls have it (not that that makes it better) but at least it's not just confined to our halls because they are the cheapest, and like Politics said, as long as you keep your room clean, you'll barely notice they are there as they are usually only in the bathroom.

I've not spoken to a lot of people staying in Brynderw, but there is this group on FB with loads of folk from different courses, accommodation and countries, if you're not already apart of it, it's definitely worth checking out :smile:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2013Aberapplicants/
I just got Allocated Brynderw. Wasn't expecting it as I was going for the cheapest which was a bunk room and I know so many people get put in bunks that don't want to. At least this way I get to have my own space. Anyone know if there is bike storage at Brynderw? as I did mention me bringing a bicycle in my application.
Reply 15
Original post by AlisonJane87
I just got Allocated Brynderw. Wasn't expecting it as I was going for the cheapest which was a bunk room and I know so many people get put in bunks that don't want to. At least this way I get to have my own space. Anyone know if there is bike storage at Brynderw? as I did mention me bringing a bicycle in my application.

Welcome to the Brynderw party!
It depends on what they've put as their preference order though, so they may have (without realising) put bunk rooms ahead of budget single, who knows.

Found this about bike storage.
http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/info/securecyclestorage/

Thanks Bee. Unfortunately looks like no :frown: Only CWRT or Penbryn can apply for A place in the Bike storage.

But Yay! looking forward to meeting everyone. :smile:
Original post by AlisonJane87
Thanks Bee. Unfortunately looks like no :frown: Only CWRT or Penbryn can apply for A place in the Bike storage.

But Yay! looking forward to meeting everyone. :smile:

There are some bike racks (not locked or anything and one or two unlocked I know of got stolen) at the bottom of the large middle section of Brynderw

Quick Reply

Latest