The Student Room Group

What is absence?!

Don't know if this is right place and what not, but anyway... I worked for Marks & Spencer, in the Cafe for the past two years, had to leave because of uni, however when i left it wasn't on the best of terms (i had tonsillitis for my final weekend of work, so obviously couldn't be serving food and drinks! But i had to come into the store to sign whatever forms and hand in my doctors note, but then they got moody that i wasn't working in the cafe, even though they told me not too!!!).

A few weeks ago i saw that the same branch, my local one, was needing staff so i applied online, passed the online quiz, called up with past employee number, and got an interview. I then found out i had a coursework deadline that day so i wouldn't have been able to attend the interview, so i called up and being friends with the head of recruitment, she told me to call back in a few weeks and it'll be fine. I called back two weeks later and she said that she went to speak to the head of the cafe to see if there was any shifts i could do but the head of the cafe said i couldn't be hired again due to absence.

My first reaction was 'what absence?!' and the recruitment lady simply said 'i don't know, you have to ask the head of the cafe, bye'. And now i just have no idea what is going on! I was never absent from work (as in i never didn't turn up without them knowing), if i had time off the head of the cafe always knew at least 2 days in advance (that's if due to sickness/open days), but if this 'absence' means i can't work there again, why was i offered an interview in the first place?! I've tried contacting, but my local branch isn't exactly the best one and every time i call it just rings out, i sent an email but i never got a reply. I'm still at uni for another 3/4 weeks so i can't go in to sort things out....

Sorry for long thread but it's really annoying and confusing me! It's stopped me from getting a job over the summer as, i was basicially relying on Marks as i was even told in January to make sure i apply for the summer! And now all the like 'student' jobs have gone. So if anyone has any idea what 'absence' means at least i could try and figure out what i did wrong? Or what i can do? Would it even be worthwhile for my parents to go in and ask?! Argh!!

-x-
Reply 1
No need to be rude, just wanted advice on what it means and how to handle the stituation, and if that is the case i can complain to head office

-x-
Reply 2
If you can, write down all of the days you were not there and any reason for it. It should say in your contract how many days you're allowed off, but if you don't have a copy then as long as it isn't excessive you should be fine.

It might be best to write them a letter saying what you've found (ie you were absent X times for Y reasons) and asking why they've brought this up as a problem. If you got doctor's notes for all instances then mention this.
Reply 3
Thanks, good idea, i know i had like 2 days extra holiday but that came out of my pay

-x-
Yeah it looks like they don't want you back and there using your absence that you had when you were ill to not employ you again.

Latest

Trending

Trending