The Student Room Group

Vegan mother found guilty of baby negligence

which ended in his death.

"(..)An 11 month old baby exclusively breastfed by a vegan mother has died and the parents are charged with neglect after an autopsy indicated the baby suffered from deficiencies in vitamin B12 and Vitamin A both known to be critical to a child’s development(..)"

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/baby-breastfed-by-vegan-mother-dies/

I know- it's not the new case, but what's your opinion about it?
In my opinion- she is guilty, they should get more than 5 years. Clearly, anyone who do not like proper beefsteak is not normal and shouldn't have children :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Veganism is a lifestyle choice. It's not a natural path to take; we aren't designed to live like that. So if you do choose to massively restrict your diet, you're going to run the risk of encountering problems like this. I think she was pretty negligent in this case and it's right that she was convicted.
Reply 2
As a vegan parent, with a healthy vegan child I really want to stick up for vegan parenting. What these parents did was neglectful, and they deserve whatever they get. I will say, however, that recommendations for ALL parents is that babies should start eating solid food around 6 months. An 11 month old baby needs actual food, and it doesn't matter whether the parents are vegan, vegetarian, or omnivores that's true. A meat-eating couple could have easily done the very same thing, with the same outcome and we wouldn't be looking at their diets for a cause.
With some knowledge and a healthy attitude, it's possible to raise happy vegan kids. My 19 month old daughter is living proof of that.
Original post by Ellim
As a vegan parent, with a healthy vegan child I really want to stick up for vegan parenting. What these parents did was neglectful, and they deserve whatever they get. I will say, however, that recommendations for ALL parents is that babies should start eating solid food around 6 months. An 11 month old baby needs actual food, and it doesn't matter whether the parents are vegan, vegetarian, or omnivores that's true. A meat-eating couple could have easily done the very same thing, with the same outcome and we wouldn't be looking at their diets for a cause.
With some knowledge and a healthy attitude, it's possible to raise happy vegan kids. My 19 month old daughter is living proof of that.

Some would suggest your daughter gets the wide spectrum of food and nutrition, and then how about you let her decide for herself when she's older if she wants to make food a moralistic issue or not.
Reply 4
Original post by Ellim

This. I don't understand why you've emphasised the fact she's a vegan OP.
Reply 5
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Some would suggest your daughter gets the wide spectrum of food and nutrition, and then how about you let her decide for herself when she's older if she wants to make food a moralistic issue or not.

Try not to tell a mother how to raise her own child is it? :rolleyes:
Original post by Ellim

This. The problem was exclusive breastfeeding not the fact that she was vegan.

I'm pescatarian and non dairy, so basically a vegan who eats fish (can explain the morals of this if you want), and I'll be feeding my kids the same. If they want to when they're older choose to eat meat that's fine, but in my house when I'm cooking I'll cook food that I'm morally okay with. Why is that a problem?
Reply 8
Original post by Ellim

Yep agree vegan or not it is neglect as the child has died of avoidable defficiencies brought about by poor diet vegan or not. As we are omnivours it is important to obtain nutrition from alternative sources and suppliments and no an 11 month old child should not still be breast feeding especially exclusively. The blame lies with the parents who were charged with the resppnisibility of looking after this child who could not look after themselves its a real shame and very sad that this has happened the parents should have sought advice on nutrition as it is clearly a limited diet commnon sense says the child is missing out and needs to have theur diet at least supplimented

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Not only did I not say anything about how I approach food with my child, and how I intend to do so in the future but also it's none of your business.
Reply 10

There's nothing stopping her deciding for herself when she's older. Being raised in a particular way doesn't mean you don't have a choice. Plenty of people choose to be vegans after being raised as meat eaters.
Original post by pandabird
This. I don't understand why you've emphasised the fact she's a vegan OP.

Because it was because the mother was Vegan that the baby suffered from deficiencies. If the mother was not a Vegan, the baby most likely would have survived, and probably been quite healthy. But because the mother did not research her diet correctly, she chose to continue her diet and breastfeed, instead of opting for just one.

Essential, the point is this: When you have a child, your diet effects more than you. And ensuring your child has a healthy diet is paramount.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Because it was because the mother was Vegan that the baby suffered from deficiencies. If the mother was not a Vegan, the baby most likely would have survived, and probably been quite healthy. But because the mother did not research her diet correctly, she chose to continue her diet and breastfeed, instead of opting for just one.

Essential, the point is this: When you have a child, your diet effects more than you. And ensuring your child has a healthy diet is paramount.

No the child died because it was exclusively breastfed. Babies should be given solids way earlier than 11mnths.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'm pescatarian and non dairy, so basically a vegan who eats fish (can explain the morals of this if you want), and I'll be feeding my kids the same. If they want to when they're older choose to eat meat that's fine, but in my house when I'm cooking I'll cook food that I'm morally okay with. Why is that a problem?

Please can you explain the morals of your diet?
No the child died because it was exclusively breastfed. Babies should be given solids way earlier than 11mnths.

Babies can survive on only breastmilk for well over a year. But if the mother's diet is not as healthy, by lacking crucial elements, then the baby simply won't survive. Like I said, it was a combination of her diet and the breastfeeding, it simply would not have happened if she wasn't vegan.
Original post by chocolateorange111
Please can you explain the morals of your diet?

Yeah sure :smile:

1) Meat is often not free range and is kept in cruel conditions which are often unsanitary, which also makes it unhealthy. I dislike the antibiotics animals are fed which stay in the food chain, plus god knows what else gets in when they're not leading a normal life.

2) I have no issue morally with free range meat, although I choose not to eat it.

3) Fish is often caught out at sea so they live more 'naturally' and you can buy from sustainable sources, ensuring you're not encouraging trawler fishing. Fish aren't given meds that can get into the food chain

4) I'm alleric to milk which is why I'm non dairy, but I also dislike it for moral reasons as cows are pumped with hormones to encourage them to produce more milk, and no animal naturally drinks the milk of a different one.

Basically I'm all about organic natural foods and I feel the meat industry isn't compatable with that
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Babies can survive on only breastmilk for well over a year. But if the mother's diet is not as healthy, by lacking crucial elements, then the baby simply won't survive. Like I said, it was a combination of her diet and the breastfeeding, it simply would not have happened if she wasn't vegan.

They can survive but it isn't healthy to breastfeed babies for that long without feeding them food. It might not have happened but it would not have been healty at all
This. The problem was exclusive breastfeeding not the fact that she was vegan.

Sadly, that's not the way the media like to spin things.

Getting real tired of irresponsible journalism.
Don't hate on vegans.
The fact that she didn't look after her child doesn't mean all vegans do that. Tbh, you can easily get all the minerals and vitamins from just vegetables alone. The fact that she didn't doesn't mean all vegans don't.

Also with this logic you should put all poor people into prison for having children who will die, because they don't get enough food, it's outrageous.

And to be frank she could have easily taken vitamin tablets if people are that concerned.

Don't hate on vegans.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ellim

I was breastfed until I was 11 months, and there was nothing wrong with me. In fact I'm the healthiest child in my family have 3 younger siblings who were only breastfed for a couple of months. I hardly get sick, I've never had things like chickenpox or anything life threatening. My brothers and sister have each had chickenpox and even caught swine flu a couple years ago, so I do think there is some merit in breastfeeding as long as the mother is eating everything the child needs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending