The Student Room Group

University Applications

Do top 20 Universities, like UCL, Warwick, Kings College and so on like A Levels such as Media Studies and Film Studies? As I want to apply for UCL i have great grades, but i am not sure as i heard they do not like these type of a levels. I am also doing English Lit, and philosophy AS
Subjects like that are fine provided you have strong subjects along with them :smile:
Most top 20 will have no issue provided you keep English and Philosophy. Media and film both overlap and are seen as 'soft' a-levels, so that will probably keep you out of the higher end universities like UCL, Kings and Warwick as you mentioned, others might included LSE, Durham.

Without knowing what subject it really is hard to call. Law at Edinburgh most likely not. English at Sheffield, higher chance.

If I was you I'd be more concerned with the media and film overlap as opposed to whether they are soft or not, overlapping subjects will keep out of universities outside the top 20. I'm not 100% certain weather they overlap, but the titles suggest there could be some at least. So it is worth checking before to make a choice on what AS to drop.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest