The Student Room Group

Guy friend being cold because I don't fancy him back

We're not super close but he seems like a decent chap, although quite sensitive and shy. ATM it's really awkward between us to. I tried to turn him down as nicely as I could, but he barely looks at me and won't talk to my other friends if they're also talking to me.

Should I just leave it or try being nicer to him? Worried that the former will just make our friendship "fizzle out," but I don't want to give him the wrong impression and hurt him again either.

Scroll to see replies

He could be being petty by cold-shouldering you, or it could be he doesn't quite know how to deal with your rejection. It's pretty rare for someone to be able to confess feelings for another, be turned down, and then act normally straight away, after all. Giving him some time and acting as you always have is probably the best idea.
Reply 2
Original post by desdemonata
He could be being petty by cold-shouldering you, or it could be he doesn't quite know how to deal with your rejection. It's pretty rare for someone to be able to confess feelings for another, be turned down, and then act normally straight away, after all. Giving him some time and acting as you always have is probably the best idea.

This was way back in January. It's been a whole term and a holiday and he still doesn't seem to like me :s-smilie:

I can understand if he doesn't want to be as close as we used to, I just wish stuff wasn't so awkward between us.
Original post by Anonymous
This was way back in January. It's been a whole term and a holiday and he still doesn't seem to like me :s-smilie:

I can understand if he doesn't want to be as close as we used to, I just wish stuff wasn't so awkward between us.

Hmm, in that case, it might be a good idea to talk to him about it? If you tell him you want to be friends (and actually act like normal friends), then he can decide whether he feels up to that or not. I guess it depends how much he likes you. If he likes you a lot it's probably going to be pretty painful being a friend without being anything more.

A conversation might rock the boat a little, but if it's awkward and you don't like the current situation anyway, you should try and clear the air, or even just find out what's going through his head.
Reply 4
Good for him, he isn't going to be an orbiter.
Reply 5
Original post by Ultimate1
Good for him, he isn't going to be an orbiter.

Cool :yawn:
Reply 6
Well, being rejected probably cut quite deep, it's hard to keep up a friendship after that. It's possible he's chosen a "you're a bitch" stance to make himself feel better about why he was rejected though. Not to try and defend him, but I understand the pain of that, and it's quite hard to think straight afterwards. It'll probably always be awkward unless he finds a new love interest, but even then he might still feel something towards you, be it resentment or love interest. I deeeeeeeefinitely wouldn't bother confronting him about it, you won't get very far; unless you decide to date him. You'll just have to live with it, try and act as you normally would.
Reply 7
Original post by desdemonata
Hmm, in that case, it might be a good idea to talk to him about it? If you tell him you want to be friends (and actually act like normal friends), then he can decide whether he feels up to that or not. I guess it depends how much he likes you. If he likes you a lot it's probably going to be pretty painful being a friend without being anything more.

A conversation might rock the boat a little, but if it's awkward and you don't like the current situation anyway, you should try and clear the air, or even just find out what's going through his head.

I did when I turned him down. I don't know how to talk to him without making it horrible for him, though, or seeming like I'm making a big deal over nothing. If he doesn't want to talk to me, fair enough, but I don't know if he's just staying away from me because he thinks I don't really want to be friends, or something.
Reply 8
Just leave it... he's just bitter about being rejected.

If he decides to fall back on friendship, then he'll eventually start talking to you etc.
I did when I turned him down. I don't know how to talk to him without making it horrible for him, though, or seeming like I'm making a big deal over nothing. If he doesn't want to talk to me, fair enough, but I don't know if he's just staying away from me because he thinks I don't really want to be friends, or something.

Hmm. For a whole term though? I'd just ask him so you know either way what's going on. Not knowing would bug me too much.
Reply 10
Original post by xDave-
Well, being rejected probably cut quite deep, it's hard to keep up a friendship after that. It's possible he's chosen a "you're a bitch" stance to make himself feel better about why he was rejected though. Not to try and defend him, but I understand the pain of that, and it's quite hard to think straight afterwards. It'll probably always be awkward unless he finds a new love interest, but even then he might still feel something towards you, be it resentment or love interest. I deeeeeeeefinitely wouldn't bother confronting him about it, you won't get very far; unless you decide to date him. You'll just have to live with it, try and act as you normally would.

I couldn't have been nicer (though I know being rejected is never nice), I said sorry about ten times and hugged him because he looked really upset.

It happened way back in January; we only see each other a few times a week but he's still not talking to me, which makes it really awkward for mutual friends whenever we're both around. I was going to be nicer to him, but I'm not sure if he'd take that as an expression of interest or not?

I told I couldn't date him because I didn't have time for a relationship, which to be fair is very true. My mum had a heart attack last year and I've had to go home a lot to look after her.
Reply 11
Original post by jamboogy

If he decides to fall back on friendship, then he'll eventually start talking to you etc.

I don't understand how he can be bitter about it? It's not like he's going around slandering the OP. He knew what he wanted, made his intentions clear, OP rejected him and now he's cut contact and moved on. He doesn't want friendship and more power to him.

If anything OP sounds bitter because she cannot comprerehend that anyone cannot keep being her lapdog after being rejected.

We need more men like this who don't give a **** and move on as opposed to keeping things at a "friendship" level begging for a chance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jamboogy

Are you sure? He comes across as quite a nice guy. I don't think he's had much experience with girls, though - he kept on going on about my appearance and doesn't know me too well. It wasn't exactly endearing being asked out just because he said I was "one of the prettiest girls he's ever seen, with such a nice figure" and such, when I'm clearly not, and when I pointed out he doesn't really know me he was like "we can get to know each other, you seem really sweet."
Reply 13
I don't understand how he can be bitter about it? It's not like he's going around slandering the OP. He knew what he wanted, made his intentions clear, OP rejected him and now he's cut contact and moved on. He doesn't want friendship and more power to him.

If anything OP sounds bitter because she cannot comprerehend that anyone can keep being her lapdog after being rejected.

We need more men like this who don't give a **** and move on as opposed to keeping things at a "friendship" level begging for a chance.

Given that most of your posts on other threads equal "I hate wimmen, wimmen have no logic!!! 1111" - anything but bitter, right? - I don't think this insult really deserves the a proper response. :rolleyes:
Reply 14
you are not his entitlement.

it hurts to be rejected so you'd expected him to keep his distance or even be angry for a bit (not that it's fair but hey, we're all human), but if he no longer wants to be your friend then it's his loss! if he was only seeking friendship from you because he wanted to be with you then it was a fickle friendship from the start.

it sounds like you did it as gently as you could and you have a very good reason! being overly nice to win his affection back may give out the wrong signals, so i guess the best thing to do would be to behave towards him how you would if none of it had ever happened. idk imagine he'd never asked you out and you were friends as before, act the same way?
Reply 15
Original post by avoxgirl
you are not his entitlement.

it hurts to be rejected so you'd expected him to keep his distance or even be angry for a bit (not that it's fair but hey, we're all human), but if he no longer wants to be your friend then it's his loss! if he was only seeking friendship from you because he wanted to be with you then it was a fickle friendship from the start.

it sounds like you did it as gently as you could and you have a very good reason! being overly nice to win his affection back may give out the wrong signals, so i guess the best thing to do would be to behave towards him how you would if none of it had ever happened. idk imagine he'd never asked you out and you were friends as before, act the same way?

We've been friends since last September, and have a lot of friends in common, but aren't particularly close and he never seemed to fancy me - I didn't even realise he liked me till he told me. He's usually pretty shy and reserved, although looking back he was a lot more chatty and "nice" before telling me he liked me. I guess you're right, if he only wanted to be friends for one reason there's nothing I can do about it and I wouldn't want to know someone like that anyway.

I've been treating him the way I used to, doesn't seem to make a difference.
Reply 16
We're not super close but he seems like a decent chap, although quite sensitive and shy. ATM it's really awkward between us to. I tried to turn him down as nicely as I could, but he barely looks at me and won't talk to my other friends if they're also talking to me.

Should I just leave it or try being nicer to him? Worried that the former will just make our friendship "fizzle out," but I don't want to give him the wrong impression and hurt him again either.

Sometimes, guys either want to be in a relationship with the girl or have nothing to do with her at all. I got turned down by a girl but I still talk to her quite a bit as a friend and I've moved on. I didn't speak to her for a while but then we started speaking again like before...

Just talk to him as though you have just met him and build up your relationship. There is almost no way a guy/girl can just act all normal after being turned down, but if he is acting annoyed or irritated then he probably doesn't give a **** :/ and it's better to not waste your time since friendship can only work if both sides put the effort in
Reply 17
Given that most of your posts on other threads equal "I hate wimmen, wimmen have no logic!!! 1111" - anything but bitter, right? - I don't think this insult really deserves the a response. :rolleyes:

Haha it's actually amazing. If a guy made this thread complaning about being rejected no doubt cries of "man up", "deal with it" would be heard. But now because you're a girl and got friendship rejected everyone is sympathetic and calling the guy names such as "bitter" although what he's done is anything but.

So listen up cupcake, as another poster put it, he is not your entitlement, now man up and deal with it. This thread is an example of exactly what happens when women are denied what they want and/or things don't pan out how they want, they've never witnessed any form of rejection in their life that once it hapoens it absolutely blows their mond. Anyone who wants to succeed with women should take note. Again I cannot praise the chap in the OP more. Good on him not being a beta orbiter, a lapdog if you will while OP messes with his emotions. There's a phrase to describe guys like him; alpha as ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Haha it's actually amazing. If a guy made this thread complaning about being rejected no doubt cries of "man up", "deal with it" would be heard. But now because you're a girl and got friendship rejected everyone is sympathetic and calling the guy names such as "bitter" although what he's done is anything but.

So listen up cupcake, as another poster put it, he is not your entitlement, now man up and deal with it. This thread is an example of exactly what happens when women are denied what they want and/or things don't pan out how they want. Anyone who wants to succeed should take note.

Can't you read either? She said I am not his entitlement. :facepalm:

Anyway, "cupcake," you're quite clearly a misguided misogynist, so with all due respect GTFO my thread and stop trying to hijack it to spew your ****ty anti-female agenda around, because I'm not standing for it. :h:

So listen up cupcake, as another poster put it, he is not your entitlement, now man up and deal with it. This thread is an example of exactly what happens when women are denied what they want and/or things don't pan out how they want, they've never witnessed any form of rejection in their life that once it hapoens it absolutely blows their mond. Anyone who wants to succeed with women should take note. Again I cannot praise the chap in the OP more. Good on him not being a beta orbiter, a lapdog if you will while OP messes with his emotions. There's a phrase to describe guys like him; alpha as ****.

I wasn't going to get involved here but how is OP messing with his emotions? She told him she didn't want to be with him and gave him a reason - her mum is ill and she doesn't have the time, but she wanted to be friends. As far as I can tell he hasn't said he doesn't want to be friends, he's just acting coldly towards her. She didn't lead him on, she told him straight that she didn't want a relationship (and apologised because telling people that is hard on them).
So, from what I can see, he is the one messing with her emotions just because she doesn't fancy him back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending