The Student Room Group

Girls, how do you tackle your period pains?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
normally I am okay, but the rare occasion I get them, I use a hot water bottle (or thermal blanket), eat bananas (it does help!!! for me anyway!), don't eat bread/pasta/pizza and eat more fruit and drink loads more water Once though I just went to sleep :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by RoseBrilliante
I don't take any medication or anything but I really find eating bananas helps a LOT because of the potassium content: it eases muscle cramps :smile:

I agree with this here-works really well surprisingly
I find that they're only bad on the second morning (sometimes the whole day) for me. Other than that they're pretty manageable without taking anything. I tackle it by: bananas, porridge, lying down (I prefer the floor than bed cause its hard? idk), dairy (I know that sounds odd as its the last thing you would want, but I read it somewhere and it does help a bit), hot water bottles, walking outside (or just fresh air but the walking takes your mind off it), hot shower/bath, watching films or tv so you're not concentrating on it. And if those don't help or I'm at a place where I can't exactly lie down in the floor and read, I drink lots of water and take some pain killers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Painkillers and a hot water bottle used to help, but they stopped being effective. I started to get unbearable pain so I was prescribed mefenamic acid which was so amazing, it got rid of the pain completely. But then that stopped working so I'm on Cerazette now (mini pill) and I don't get real periods at all anymore so no pain.
If you have bad pain I'd suggest mefanemic (I can't spell it) acid, it worked so well for me for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
The pain I get really varies a lot. Some months it's minimal and other months it's unbearable and makes me wish for death! Usually I take the strongest painkillers I can get my hands on (mefanamic acid or naproxen) and retire to bed with a hot water bottle, where I just writhe around in agony for at least 3/4 hours!
Original post by PhysicsGal
Woahh, that sounds horrific! Glad Uni are helping as much as they can though. What's causing this/has it always been this way?

I only ever felt awful at school once *touch wood* and ever since I have not felt the pain to be intolerable. Actually walking about Uni, focusing on other stuff, all that makes me feel better (psychological impact I guess) than just lying down at home thinking how to get rid of the pain :smile:

Still shocking how bad the experiences of some people like yourself are though!

Definitely not always been this way - I did have period pain when I was younger (12/13 or so) but it was controlled just by paracetomal.. I'm on anti depressants and every time I've increased/decreased them I end up bleeding, so I figure they have an effect. I also have numerous signs of a hormone problem, have excess facial hair/acne at 22, etc, so that probably plays a role, although have had ultrasounds, blood tests and stuff and nothing's ever come back..

Plus I've had bladder and bowel problems (IBS, urinary retention) for quite a long time, so I guess anything that affects them will affect how period pain etc feels too.

Away to see my gynae doctor in two weeks and will see what her thoughts are on the whole thing - whether she wants me to get further tests or an IUS or something.

Periods are horrible, I was speaking to my (male) friend about them and he said it's something can never understand, but he feels so sorry for us. I wish there was a male equivalent haha.
Mother of God. My womb is destroying itself. I've had painful periods for YEARS. I'm 18 and started at 13. I've used painkillers- they do not work. Hot water bottles are pretty much impossible for me in this heat. I've eaten mountains of food. I feel like ****. I'm so happy there are women here talking about it :frown:
Reply 47
Hot water bottle and sleep!
Reply 48
Pain killers
Reply 49
Usually, a hot bath or curling up in bed crying was what I would do.

However, sometimes when I could be bothered (which is not very often) I forced myself to go for a jog, which I really found helped for a few hours at least.

My period pains were so horrible I used to faint and was pretty much a walking zombie for three-five days a month. But since getting an implant life has been soooo much easier, I'm one of the lucky ones that gets absolutely no bleeding with the implant :colondollar:
Reply 50
Original post by daisydaffodil
I have a routine:

Two days before - deliberately healthy diet, proper sleep

First day and night: 30 -60mg codeine, full dose of paracetomal, 400mg of ibuprofen, tranexamic acid. Also very mild foods (no dairy), bananas, hot shower aimed at my tummy, DVDs and sleep. No uni and avoid going out (I end up with D&V usually)

Second - third days: 8mg codeine, full paracetomal, 200mg of ibuprofen, tranexamic acid, mild activity and mid day nap

Fourth-fifth days: paracetomal, tranexamic acid, normal food.

It usually helps me, but GP has said I can't take codeine /ibuprofen regularly for the next goodness knows how many years, not least since codeine makes me very giggly/happy/sleepy and can be addictive, I'm seeing gynae in two weeks to discuss the possibility of having IUS fitted (normally you can just get it after a blether with the nurse, but I have a multitude of health problems so would need it fitted under sedation at hospital). All the doctors I've spoken to have told me the IUS works wonders for problem periods.

There's also Northisterone (Utovlan) which I was prescribed, it lessens the drop in progestogen (sp?) I think and supposed to help period pain but made my ten times worse. Mefenamic acid also made me feel weird, don't like it.

If you don't fancy that, the pill's supposed to be helpful, as is evening primrose oil, vitamin B6.. A warm bath's always good, so's a hot bottle or a heat bag. One problem I have is vaginal pain (horrible) so I normally wrap a hot wheat bag in a towel and then sit on it.. It's always good to eat healthy and avoid letting yourself get bowel problems, because if you think about it anatomically you have the uterus and vagina here [-] [-] <-- and then the bowel there. So if the bowel's all blocked up (constipated) that'll only make period pain worse.. so always good to eat a high fibre diet (e.g. lots of granary bread, good cereal/museli, fruit and veg..)

Wow yours sounds as painful as mine. Do you have PCOS and or endometriosis?
Reply 51
I lift and drink protein shakes.
Reply 52
The pill helped/helps a lot.
Cry and think how bad it would be if I was in an exam. Luckily, only the first days REALLY bad for me. When I say that I mean hot flushes leading to sweating, feeling sick and have fainted a couple of times. I generally turn into a baby and tell my sister or mother not to leave me! And take Ibuprofen which takes too long to kick in. :frown: Most the other days I'm totally normal sometimes having to take 1 tablet but otherwise all good :tongue:
cerazette (mini pill) saved my life! also the heat patches from tesco, cos you can wear them under your clothes, and moderate exercise and lots of chocolate too!:smile:
I get really bad ones as I tend to have a lot of problems with cramping and a bad stomach anyway.

I have special medication from the doctors which eases it slightly, but I try to fall asleep before the pain takes hold too much. If all else fails, I have a hot water bottle, and try to keep moving because I physically cannot stay in one position more than 3 mins without agony :P

Heat helps a fair bit but paracetamol doesn't work for me!
Is it bad that i don't get them that much just a little pain here and there haha
Reply 57
Girls - taking the odd painkiller will not work ! You need to take the full amount allowed - both ibuprofen and paracetamol. You can take paracetamol and then in between those doses you can take ibuprofen. You might as well get the cheap tablets from the supermarket as the expensive branded pills are just the same. I know some people don't like taking tablets but this for just a couple of days per month and well worth it if it improves your life. I know I got a thumbs down for saying this before but you have to find a way to cope because this is going to happen to you every month for the next 30 to 40 years and life does not stop because you have a period. If taking the full doses does not help then please go to your GP for more help. Pain is not something you have to put up with and there are other options via your GP.
The other thing I would say is plan ahead to use these couple of days to pamper yourself - eat chocolate, drink coke, have a pizza, relax with a hot water bottle (those wheat and lavender bags that you heat in the microwave are good and less hassle than filling a bottle with boiling water), read a book in bed, watch a film with a friend. Use it as a valid excuse to catch up on sleep or do things you normally don't have time to do.
Original post by KaranbirBandesha
Is it bad that i don't get them that much just a little pain here and there haha

No, it just means that you are very lucky. I wish I only got a bit of pain.
Weep, eat a lot of chocolate, weep some more, hot bath and ibuprofen, further weeping, curl up on the sofa with a hot water bottle and watch old disney films.

I take the pill as well which is meant to help with the pains/heavy flow, I hate to think what would happen if I stopped taking it. :ashamed2:

Edit: why did I get negged? Do my periods offend somebody? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest