The Student Room Group

Girls, how do you tackle your period pains?

Okay, so I am kind of dying right now because of my cramps, and I just sorted myself out with some tea, paracetamol and stretches... idk how well it will work!

So out of curiosity, how do you guys tackle your period pains?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Usually take ineffective pain medication then lie down and cry :wink: It's a tricky one, I have yet to find anything that eases period pains effectively /:
Original post by BioIz
Usually take ineffective pain medication then lie down and cry :wink: It's a tricky one, I have yet to find anything that eases period pains effectively /:

Yep crying does help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always try and resist taking painkillers unless it's unbearable, just because I don't like taking medication unnecessarily, but often if it's bad pains I have to take Ibuprofen. Hot water bottles are good, or a nice warm bath - it helps relax you. Also I really like mint tea as it helps settle my stomach as the pains often make me feel sick, and maybe do some light yoga :smile:
Original post by BioIz

Story Of My Life!

:P

I find just laying down and thinking happy thoughts (lame I know, but it's the best I've got so far after 6 years of periods :P) and drinking Tea helps. Just focusing on something else and having the abdomen area stretched (as opposed to you being sat down) seems to help me. It of course doesn't eradicate the 3 hour long horrible pain, but it does ease it :smile:
Reply 5
Laying in bed feeling sorry for myself, getting other people to bring me hot drinks and food :smile:
Original post by PhysicsGal
Story Of My Life!

:P

I find just laying down and thinking happy thoughts (lame I know, but it's the best I've got so far after 6 years of periods :P) and drinking Tea helps. Just focusing on something else and having the abdomen area stretched (as opposed to you being sat down) seems to help me. It of course doesn't eradicate the 3 hour long horrible pain, but it does ease it :smile:

Stretching the abdomen area? Stupid question, but how would you do that? Lying down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just lying down and moaning about how I'm definitely going to die.
Reply 8
Hot water bottle
Thanks for the replies so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hot water bottle helps. Do get a check up as painful periods can be a symptom of endometrioses. I know i have an increased risk of it as my mother has it. I'm on the pill and the pain had greatly decreased. When i was13 i used to suffer from bad pain, used too throw up and loose stools cos of the pain. Recently tried stopping the pill, though the pain wasn't bad i was feeling very faint. With the pill i feel some slight cramps and get a lower back ache but i can continue my day normally, even go ton kickboxing training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I read the title as 'how do you tickle your period pains' :lol:

I find acting like a massive bitch to everyone helps. Failing that, paracetamol and sleep.
Original post by larmic
Hot water bottle helps. Do get a check up as painful periods can be a symptom of endometrioses. I know i have an increased risk of it as my mother has it. I'm on the pill and the pain had greatly decreased. When i was13 i used to suffer from bad pain, used too throw up and loose stools cos of the pain. Recently tried stopping the pill, though the pain wasn't bad i was feeling very faint. With the pill i feel some slight cramps and get a lower back ache but i can continue my day normally, even go ton kickboxing training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek: I thought cramps were just normal hahaha... endometriosis, never even heard of it before! Glad to hear your managing now though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've not found anything that's effective 100% of the time but pain killers don't work for me they just get me frustrated. I usually try eating first which helps a little but there's only so much you can eat. After that I try hot drinks but they sometimes work sometimes don't. Putting pressure just below my belly button usually helps but only a little then I try to curl up and hope I don't pass out if it's really bad. Stretching out on my front helps a lot but staying stretched is difficult and I usually get fed up. A way I've heard of and personally found that does help though is masturbating the days before your period. Yeah you're probably all what? But it does help, I heard it was something to do with working the muscles inside cause cramps is the muscles goings nuts and that it sort of 'warms them up' I guess but obviously that's up to you.
Reply 14
I have PCOS so my period pains are excruciating! (I've had to be hospitalised several times because of it). Anyway because they are that bad the only thing that I've found that brings me some sort of comfort is taking Nurofen with codeine - which is a derivative of an opiate. It helps to reduce the pain massively, I am still in a lot of pain after taking it but atleast I don't feel like I'm dying. It makes you drowsy but I'd rather feel drowsy than like my insides are being ripped out.

I would recommend it to any girl with PCOS/endometriosis it helps a great deal (but should NEVER be taken for more than 3 days in a row as it causes addiction!).

I also use hot water bottles which I find helps with the flow (sorry TMI).

Also keeping warm in general helps me as I find I am atypical in the sense that my temperature drops when I'm on my period rather than increases.
Reply 15
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
:eek: I thought cramps were just normal hahaha... endometriosis, never even heard of it before! Glad to hear your managing now though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If cramps are severe it could be a symptom of something else, or it could be nothing serious and you just suffer from severe cramps but it is always better to get a check up and having nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on a prescription of Tranxaemic Acid from my GP. They lighten the flow of your period (I used to have to take days off school) and I rarely get pain at all. Only thing I've found to truly help.
I have a routine:

Two days before - deliberately healthy diet, proper sleep

First day and night: 30 -60mg codeine, full dose of paracetomal, 400mg of ibuprofen, tranexamic acid. Also very mild foods (no dairy), bananas, hot shower aimed at my tummy, DVDs and sleep. No uni and avoid going out (I end up with D&V usually)

Second - third days: 8mg codeine, full paracetomal, 200mg of ibuprofen, tranexamic acid, mild activity and mid day nap

Fourth-fifth days: paracetomal, tranexamic acid, normal food.

It usually helps me, but GP has said I can't take codeine /ibuprofen regularly for the next goodness knows how many years, not least since codeine makes me very giggly/happy/sleepy and can be addictive, I'm seeing gynae in two weeks to discuss the possibility of having IUS fitted (normally you can just get it after a blether with the nurse, but I have a multitude of health problems so would need it fitted under sedation at hospital). All the doctors I've spoken to have told me the IUS works wonders for problem periods.

There's also Northisterone (Utovlan) which I was prescribed, it lessens the drop in progestogen (sp?) I think and supposed to help period pain but made my ten times worse. Mefenamic acid also made me feel weird, don't like it.

If you don't fancy that, the pill's supposed to be helpful, as is evening primrose oil, vitamin B6.. A warm bath's always good, so's a hot bottle or a heat bag. One problem I have is vaginal pain (horrible) so I normally wrap a hot wheat bag in a towel and then sit on it.. It's always good to eat healthy and avoid letting yourself get bowel problems, because if you think about it anatomically you have the uterus and vagina here [-] [-] <-- and then the bowel there. So if the bowel's all blocked up (constipated) that'll only make period pain worse.. so always good to eat a high fibre diet (e.g. lots of granary bread, good cereal/museli, fruit and veg..)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I glare murderously at anyone that looks like they're going to start with me.
When I've made sure I'm alone, I down a litre of hot water and cry myself to sleep.

Also, I order takeout day in and out for five days :biggrin:
Reply 19
I just grin and bear it as I have terrible migranes and the more I take them for period pains, the less effective pain killers are for my migranes so I got reffered to yoga and meditation classes by my Doctor because I have an ovary condition too much make my periods so painful! Trying to do yoga poses on a bus on in an exam hall while on your period is a challenge!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest