The Student Room Group

please help me?? applying to uni with good Alevels but low gcse grade for maths :(

Hey everyone currently im predicted A*AA- A*a*a as i got aab at AS but there is one problem, i got a D in gcse maths. The reason why they let me do Alevels at my college was because i got fairly decent grades in my other subjects. i havent applied for uni yet as im taking a gap year and also planning on retaking my math gcse next march however im applying for uni this upcoming autumn. most unis want atleast a B in maths, what should i do :'( . will this ruin my chances? i know if i retake i can def get a B or higher
(edited 10 years ago)
What subject are you applying for and what A levels did you do? If you're applying for English they might not care, particularly if you retake it. If you're applying for engineering it might be a problem.
Reply 2
What were your subjects? dont stress it anyway maybe make up something about how you couldnt achieve your best and retake it mate, a retake wont hurt your chances :P 80% of unis look at GCSE's lightly. My mate got a D in GCSE maths my school was nice enough to allow him do further maths and he got all A's this January.
Reply 3
Original post by Secretnerd123
Hey everyone currently im predicted A*AA- A*a*a as i got aab at AS but there is one problem, i got a D in gcse maths. The reason why they let me do Alevels at my college was because i got fairly decent grades in my other subjects. i havent applied for uni yet as im taking a gap year and also planning on retaking my math gcse next march however im applying for uni this upcoming autumn. most unis want atleast a B in maths, what should i do :'( . will this ruin my chances? i know if i retake i can def get a B or higher

If you want to re-sit next year it will have to be November or the summer - there are no March or January exams any more.
Original post by Rob da Mop
What subject are you applying for and what A levels did you do? If you're applying for English they might not care, particularly if you retake it. If you're applying for engineering it might be a problem.

i want to study psychology at uni. i currently do law, psychology and sociology
Original post by Data
If you want to re-sit next year it will have to be November or the summer - there are no March or January exams any more.

even for gcses? so what should i do? on ucas, should i enter my gcse math grade or say its pending? im so confused. i really wish i worked harder at gcse but alot of things were going on at home so i couldnt do my best :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
even for gcses? so what should i do? on ucas, should i enter my gcse math grade or say its pending? im so confused. i really wish i worked harder at gcse but alot of things were going on at home so i couldnt do my best :frown:

Even for GCSEs. If you want to do Psychology then I would definitely recommend taking Maths as I doubt you'd get a place without. To be honest, I think your employment prospects would be limited without a GCSE in maths even if you could find a degree course that didn't require it. You would have to put pending on your UCAS application.
Original post by Terk
What were your subjects? dont stress it anyway maybe make up something about how you couldnt achieve your best and retake it mate, a retake wont hurt your chances :P 80% of unis look at GCSE's lightly. My mate got a D in GCSE maths my school was nice enough to allow him do further maths and he got all A's this January.

WTF, a D in GCSE Maths and A's in further maths, OMG, is he a genius?
Reply 8
Original post by sully50sully
WTF, a D in GCSE Maths and A's in further maths, OMG, is he a genius?

Nah he just says hes really dedicated, so hes been studying everyday since September. Dont know why people are thumbing me down but oh well.
Reply 9
Original post by Terk
Nah he just says hes really dedicated, so hes been studying everyday since September. Dont know why people are thumbing me down but oh well.

How did they allow him to do Further Maths..?
Original post by Terk

Probably because many sixth forms won't admit people with even a B at Maths GCSE to A level maths let alone further so it seems kind of far fetched.
Reply 11
Original post by Type 052D
How did they allow him to do Further Maths..?

No idea, he came from another country to ireland in year 8 then to England in 10 I think so he had a disadvantage, and his personal statement must of been pretty good. And they had tests early on to see if people werent keeping up and if they werent they would of been kicked off so if he flopped his class tests all they would do is kick him off and let him do another subject or simply normal maths. I myself was let in for Physics with a C in gcse.
Original post by Terk
No idea, he came from another country to ireland in year 8 then to England in 10 I think so he had a disadvantage, and his personal statement must of been pretty good. And they had tests early on to see if people werent keeping up and if they werent they would of been kicked off so if he flopped his class tests all they would do is kick him off and let him do another subject or simply normal maths. I myself was let in for Physics with a C in gcse.

I've got A* in Double Science, yet got an D in Maths :'(. So therefore I could not do A-Level Science.
Reply 13
Original post by Type 052D
I've got A* in Double Science, yet got an D in Maths :'(. So therefore I could not do A-Level Science.

;/ some schools just care about their statistics too much and dont wanna risk it, even though my school has around 65% A*-B
Don't take my word on this, but I think in UCAS you would have to put your D grade and then put maths in again as pending. I'd say it's important to make sure that in your reference your teachers put that they think the D was a blip and that you'll achieve a better grade on the retake
Original post by Data

my school lets some students resit in March
Reply 16
Original post by sully50sully
my school lets some students resit in March

Not any more they won't as the March exam season (like January) has been abolished. March 2013 was the last one.
Reply 17

You have to put it in twice, once stating it as a D grade then again as pending, also if you were having a tough time at home, you could always ask your referee to mention extenuating circumstances in your reference to explain why you got a D
Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest