The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing, University of Leeds - Ask a 1st year

Hey!

I'm Lauren and I am currently in my first year of the adult nursing course at the University of Leeds! Basically last year I went through the whole procedure of applying etc and I found the student forum really helpful but the only thing that I could have benefitted more from was someone who knew exactly what to expect aka a first year already on the course.

Therefore, I am setting up this post so that if anyone who is coming to Leeds Uni to do adult nursing needs some answers or would like to know my experience so far I would be happy to do that! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Taking a gap year to apply to Adult nursing. Put your whole experience in nutshell?
Reply 2
Wow, so happy you posted this what a great idea! I'm going to Leeds to study child nursing, but could you tell me about the teaching, like the quality, how helpful the lecturers are, what the practical lessons are like ect :smile: also, what accommodation were you in and how did you find getting to placement? Sorry I've bombarded you with questions! :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Manisha__06
Hey! Taking a gap year to apply to Adult nursing. Put your whole experience in nutshell?

Okay I'll just talk about the course and placement etc cause if I talked about everything we would be here a while ha!
There is 3 semesters (1, 2a and 2b). First semester is quite busy and consisted of 3 days a week at uni with lectures on biology, a module called "learning together, working together" and also theory and practice. The modules are not too bad but be prepared to be bored unfortunately in learning together working together as it is very common sense concepts like communication, team work but you have to do it. There is a multiple choice biology exam, 1 essay and 1 group project (consisting of a small essay and a poster). Then at the end of first semester there is a small observational placement for about 2 weeks. This is where you'll find out if this is what you want to do really. During this placement you get an observational placement booklet and I advise you to fill this out in detail as this year we used it for a essay later on and people who didn't take it seriously really struggled.

Semester 2a consisted of a few lectures on biology and theory and practice and also some clinical skills sessions where you learn blood pressure etc. This semester was mainly consisting of placement (about 8 weeks altogether) and in these placement you get 2 books (Ongoing Achievement Record and a Placement booklet). Guard these with your life!!! The OAR is needed for the whole of the 3 years, you lose this and you are screwed :smile: haha. The assesments in semester 2a were an essay (related to our observational placement), a OSCE which is basically a practical exam where you show that you can safely carry out blood pressure, basic life support, pulse, temp etc. Then another biology exam and a piece of coursework.

Not actually started semester 2b yet but it looks like 1 day a week at uni for 8 weeks and the rest of the days on placement. I have only got 1 drug exam and a medicine managment piece of coursework and some portfolio work to complete.

Advice on assessments and essays etc, START THEM WHEN YOU GET THEM. Even if you only do a little bit of work a couple times a week just do it. There is a lot of work to do and if you get caught up in different pieces all at once and you start getting close to the deadline you will get stressed and struggle.

Hope all that helps and hasn't scared you. I have enjoyed this year soooo much and I would advise anyone who is even considering this to do it!

Any questions just ask :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ricepudding
Wow, so happy you posted this what a great idea! I'm going to Leeds to study child nursing, but could you tell me about the teaching, like the quality, how helpful the lecturers are, what the practical lessons are like ect :smile: also, what accommodation were you in and how did you find getting to placement? Sorry I've bombarded you with questions! :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

The quality of the teaching if i'm honest varies between the lectures really. All of the lectures come generally from a nursing background so their experience is amazing but some of them when teaching module content is quite boring so be prepared! If you ever need any help with anything the lectures are lovely but again it varies like with teachers at school or college. The practical lessons are so good! Its a bit strange bed bathing a manikin but you get used to it haha! I picked Lupton which was an ideal place to be getting to and from placement. Loads of buses that go to town past the uni and LGI and then when you get in town you just need to get one bus to St James'. I would definitely suggest Lupton but i'm probably a bit biased! haha. Generally they place you into flats with nurses like in my whole block there is only 2 flats out of 9 with people not doing nursing. This is great as they are considerate about placement etc but you don't really get to meet people on other courses so prepare to be bombarded with girls and not meet many guys haha.

Any more questions just post on here! :smile:
Reply 5
Hello are you in student accommodation ? If so which is the most popular amongst student nurses and are the nurses grouped together in halls ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hello, just wondering did to get the go to freshers week or carnage, as I have heard rumours that you do not get to as you already start your placements and lectures before the other students, Thankyou for any information you can offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurentrav
Hey!

I'm Lauren and I am currently in my first year of the adult nursing course at the University of Leeds! Basically last year I went through the whole procedure of applying etc and I found the student forum really helpful but the only thing that I could have benefitted more from was someone who knew exactly what to expect aka a first year already on the course.

Therefore, I am setting up this post so that if anyone who is coming to Leeds Uni to do adult nursing needs some answers or would like to know my experience so far I would be happy to do that! :smile:

hey! so glad you posted on here :smile: just wondering what the halls are like and which ones the nurses are put in? do you get to go out much and have you made any friends outside the healthcare topics?
Reply 8
I've sent my application to do adult nursing at Leeds... I'm just wondering roughly when I'm likely to get an offer?! I'm freaking out because all my friends have offers from universities I've applied for and I haven't got one offer yet?!/:
Reply 9
Hi, I've applied for adult nursing at Leeds. I've had a email asking for my info regarding on of my qualifications but nothing since.
I was wondering the where the placement choices are for Leeds please x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello i have applied to leeds too, its not my first choice if im honest but the uni does look great! But does anyone understand the nhs bursaries? The more i read the less it seems to help! I cant seem to work out how it gets paid, is it monthly or every three months and i know how much all depends on earnings and circumstance! Can you actually afford to live is my worry lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Was just wondering what kind of questions they ask at interview and what the group interviews are like at Leeds ?
Reply 12
Original post by Chloeharmer
I've sent my application to do adult nursing at Leeds... I'm just wondering roughly when I'm likely to get an offer?! I'm freaking out because all my friends have offers from universities I've applied for and I haven't got one offer yet?!/:

I'm a second year at Leeds and got my offer in early January having sent my application off in November and interviewed in December.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Nicola x
Hi, I've applied for adult nursing at Leeds. I've had a email asking for my info regarding on of my qualifications but nothing since.
I was wondering the where the placement choices are for Leeds please x

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't get to choose your placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! Did you get an offer for childrens nursing at Leeds? I have my interview in December (18th!) xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! Did you get an offer for childrens nursing at Leeds? I have my interview in December (18th!) xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello!!! Do you have an interview for Leeds yet xxx
Original post by laurentrav
Hey!

HI Lauren! was your offer the same as it states online or did it differ slightly xxx
Reply 18
Any questions just ask :smile:

i wanted to ask in your first year are u at placement/.uni everyday?
do u not get one day off a week at least? off uni and off placement?

thanks!x
Hey Lauren my name is Angela . I'm not planning on applying to Leeds so hope I'm not imposing :frown:. I am however applying for adult nursing here in Northern Ireland . I was wondering if u could give some ps tips, and more about the course. Ie did u always have ur heart set on adult? Why did u choose it over other branches ? And so on. Looking forward to hearing back from u xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending