The Student Room Group

When your boss raises their voice at you

Assume that your boss is in a tense conversation with you and started raising their voice when calling your name, e.g. "MARY! ..." or "JOHN...!" and then continued the tone after your name; how would you handle it?
It's in a situation where your boss is in the wrong but they wanted to assert authority or wanted to make their point across.

Scroll to see replies

I would stand up for myself in an assertive but polite way, always trying to maintain the higher ground but with a stubborness that would ultimately work against me.
Reply 2
Original post by Double Agent
I would stand up for myself in an assertive but polite way, always trying to maintain the higher ground but with a stubborness that would ultimately work against me.

A bit vague :colondollar:

Care to give an example? :smile:
Reply 3
id be really angry but want to keep my job so probarly wouldnt say anthing but moan when i got home
Reply 4
Original post by usernme_
id be really angry but want to keep my job so probarly wouldnt say anthing but moan when i got home

Don't you think they would do it again? :frown:
Reply 5
they almost certainly will do it again but, as I assume was her point, they are the boss they have the power. Aside from politely trying to tell them why you think they are wrong there is nothing you can do to stop it.
When I'm not in the wrong, I will be as assertive as I can but remaining polite and calm for the security of my job :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by kka25
Don't you think they would do it again? :frown:

probarly but what could u do? if ur really miserable leave ur job but getting on bad terms with the boss or letting them know its gotten to u doesnt help it would just encourage them to do it more if u act like it hasnt bothered u there less likely to do it again
If I genuinely deserved it, I'd probably just apologise and be on my merry way.

If I thought they were being unreasonable I'd stay civil and not raise my voice but I'd still stick up for myself. I'm rather stubborn.
I'd then probably go home and dream up different scenarios ie what I would have done had I not cared about having a job.

I once got blamed for something that absolutely wasn't my fault - and I knew who had actually done it. As I worked in a care home, everything was documented so I just said, "Wait here, I'll prove it" and went to get the book. I didn't explicitly tell her who had actually done it, but she figured it out from their signature. She then apologised to me and we went on a cigarette break together.
Reply 9
I remember once getting moaned at by my boss and when I gave my response I got told to stop talking back to her if she wanted my opinion she would have asked. Safe to say I hit the roof and asked her who the f she thought she was talking to. Had a fun meeting with my senior manager after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by TattyBoJangles

I'd then probably go home and dream up different scenarios ie what I would have done had I not cared about having a job.

hehe :lol:

I once got blamed for something that absolutely wasn't my fault - and I knew who had actually done it. As I worked in a care home, everything was documented so I just said, "Wait here, I'll prove it" and went to get the book. I didn't explicitly tell her who had actually done it, but she figured it out from their signature. She then apologised to me and we went on a cigarette break together.

:five:

Original post by sherriff
Had a fun meeting with my senior manager after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do tell what happened!
I would ask them to calm down and lower their voice. I'd also remind them that I'm more likely to do whatever it is they want me to if they treat me with respect and ask politely.... If I don't get anywhere, I'd probably hand in my notice.
Original post by biffyclyro27
I would ask them to calm down and lower their voice. I'd also remind them that I'm more likely to do whatever it is they want me to if they treat me with respect and ask politely.... If I don't get anywhere, I'd probably hand in my notice.

I know this is completely irrelevant to the thread, but I noticed your username and I love Biffy Clyro.
Reply 13
Don't rise to it - there's nothing to be gained by shouting back, being snide or trying to get the upper-hand. You'll just end up doing something you'll regret

Better to keep your calm, consider your argument (if you think they're in the wrong) oh, and ask "why are you shouting?"
Reply 14
Original post by Artymess
Don't rise to it - there's nothing to be gained by shouting back, being snide or trying to get the upper-hand. You'll just end up doing something you'll regret

Better to keep your calm, consider your argument (if you think they're in the wrong) oh, and ask "why are you shouting?"

Would you continue working with the person though?
Reply 15
Original post by kka25
Would you continue working with the person though?

Depends what the altercation was about :holmes:
At the end of the day your boss pays, hires and fires you, doing anything rash is dangerous.
Reply 17
Original post by Artymess
Depends what the altercation was about :holmes:

Because you have an awesome hunter avatar pic on TSR :colonhash:

:tongue:
Initially, I'd probably ask them to quieten down for the sake of remaining professional (if this was in front of others or others could hear) and then we'd have a discussion to review what supposedly went wrong.

Well that's what I like to think anyway - in reality, I'd probably just suck it up because I'm not really the kind of guy who confronts others :colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by kka25
Because you have an awesome hunter avatar pic on TSR :colonhash:

You probably mean Haunter :erm:

If the paramedics could scrape him back together, perhaps I would work with him again :sly:

Srs, I won't hear a bad word about Haunter :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending