The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

"Quiet" flats?

Hi everyone,
I'm an international student and I've decided to go with self-catered and to apply for Small residences (and if I'm not given my first choice I guess I'll end up in Lupton or North Hill because I put low price as my #1 priority). However, I'm still torn between asking for quiet accommodation (It says something like 'a quieter environment') or not:
I'll be a 3rd year student at Leeds, and I'm not into drinking or into the kind of partying that involves lots of drinking; I'm basically a day person and quite sensitive to noise when I'm trying to sleep (I love sleeping :colondollar:).
I want to be able to study and to sleep whenever I need to, but of course that doesn't mean I'm anti-social (just not a party person) and I'd love to live with friendly people I can get to know (and to spend time with if we get along). I'm worried that a quiet house/flat will be too quiet and I'll end up living with people who doesn't even want to talk to their flatmates/housemates... But I know I couldn't live with uncomfortably loud people.
What I mean is you can always count me in for a movie marathon, but probably not for drinking at 3 am.

Should I ask for quiet acommodation, then?
I've heard that most students in smaller accommodation are 2nd and 3rd years, so does that mean those places are already quieter than the bigger halls?

Thanks in advance :3
Reply 1
I have just gotten an email from the uni's accommodation office stating that there will be a lot of building work going on nearby Central Village - so that sounds like one for you to avoid :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I can relate. I was wondering the same thing but I think it is safer to choose quieter environments - if you are sensitive to noise and lots of partying. I don't think wanting a quiet environment is the same as wanting an anti social environment. My thinking is that it refers to persons who prefers a more "calm/quiet/normal" living situation. Meaning a flat where everyone can hang out on weekends etc etc but during the week it is expected that at 1am there is not a group of people making noise and being loud. I think that if you do not choose quiet you are opening up yourself to the risk of noise. I am hoping that I won't be stuck with people who are anti social but more so people who value quiet time and respects the same in others but can still let their hair down and have a good time together. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest