The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gob Bluth
I'm going to get rid of RVP when i wildcard after this weekend. Too many good options and his price is affecting quality midfield options.

Thinking of this:
Mignolet £5.5
Daniels £4.0

Clyne £4.5
Luna £4.5

Ivanovic £6.5

Chester £4.0

Evra £6.5

Huddlestone £5.0
Silva £9.2

Coutinho £9.0

Walcott £9.5

Álex Pozuelo £4.4

Giroud £8.6
Benteke £9.1

Soldado £9.5

Obviously will be up for changing seeing who comes in with the window still open. Maybe Lamela in midfield instead of Coutinho? And unsure on Evra/Iva so could possibly bring in Lescott and a Spurs defender.

Personally I'd have Sturridge over Soldado. I'm not too convinced with Soldado yet. Sturridge is bound to get 15-20 goals this season if he continues with his current form and will also get you some assists as well. Plus is cheaper than Soldado. I'd take out Pozuelo, Evra and Soldado replacing them with Parker, Coleman and Sturridge.

Edit: Looking at your defenders again I wouldn't put money on them to get many clean sheets especially Luna and Chester. Luna might provide an assist here and there but Aston Villa aren't great defensively. I'd bring in someone from West Ham maybe Collins (4.5).
(edited 10 years ago)
and while you're at it, get rid of Thud. Can't see any justification for that choice. Maybe if it was the championship.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Anyone who is using their wildcard, which I might do after this GW, should do as you have done and go with Daniels has the backup keeper. Only sensible choice really.

I agree with Louis, WBA have Myhill back from injury soon and Clarke has already come out and said he's looking to bring in experienced cover. There's nothing to suggest Daniels is going to get a run in the team.
Original post by sr90
I agree with Louis, WBA have Myhill back from injury soon and Clarke has already come out and said he's looking to bring in experienced cover. There's nothing to suggest Daniels is going to get a run in the team.

A lot go for a 4.0 keeper that doesn't play so he must be the best 4.0 keeper at the moment because at least there's a chance he'll play. If he doesn't play, you're in the same situation as you was before anyway. That was my point.
(edited 10 years ago)
feck it, played my wildcard, need a much better week, not happy at all with the 48 points of last week.
Got restless and used my wildcard :colone:
Mignolet
Davis

Vidic
Lescott
Skrtel
Collins
Hughes

Lampard
Nolan
Silva
Walcott
Delph

Sturridge
Soldado
Lambert

May change Soldado but couldn't resist leaving him in this weekend for the North London derby :sogood:

Skrtel is temp, until Toure is back or may get Jagielka
I preferred to take a small points hit and make 5 or 6 transfers over the first 3 weeks than to use a wild card so early in the season. I read someone mention that much of the top X number of people, including the top 2 had used a wild card early. As much as it's no justification, it just doesn't feel right. And of course stats on last years wildcard use doesn't prove much one way or another, aside from it being possible to wildcard early and do well/win. I remain unconvinced and like to keep it hanging around for the second transfer window, by which time teams begin to accrue games in hand. I suppose a lot of it comes down to just how much of a hash you made of your initial selection. If I hadn't had much time to think that through and played and absolute stinker rather than just a team with a few flaws that needed ironing out, then I guess i'd see otherwise. I suppose what i'm getting at is that a fair few people whose teams had a few flaws that needed ironing out, they've wild-carded. I wonder if that was the best option or if biting the bullet and taking up to a 12-24 points hit to make 5-8 changes over a game week or two is a better one.
Reply 1388
Original post by Mister Dead
I preferred to take a small points hit and make 5 or 6 transfers over the first 3 weeks than to use a wild card so early in the season. I read someone mention that much of the top X number of people, including the top 2 had used a wild card early. As much as it's no justification, it just doesn't feel right. And of course stats on last years wildcard use doesn't prove much one way or another, aside from it being possible to wildcard early and do well/win. I remain unconvinced and like to keep it hanging around for the second transfer window, by which time teams begin to accrue games in hand. I suppose a lot of it comes down to just how much of a hash you made of your initial selection. If I hadn't had much time to think that through and played and absolute stinker rather than just a team with a few flaws that needed ironing out, then I guess i'd see otherwise. I suppose what i'm getting at is that a fair few people whose teams had a few flaws that needed ironing out, they've wild-carded. I wonder if that was the best option or if biting the bullet and taking up to a 12-24 points hit to make 5-8 changes over a game week or two is a better one.

Almost every points hit is a complete waste of time as you have to guarantee that the player you are brining in can score 4 or more points that week, otherwise you would have been better off waiting a week and not losing points.

Taking a 24 point hit over 4 weeks rather than just wild carding is ridiculous and serves no purpose ruins keeping you lower down the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1389
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Almost every points hit is a complete waste of time as you have to guarantee that the player you are brining in can score 4 or more points that week, otherwise you would have been better off waiting a week and not losing points.

Taking a 24 point hit over 4 weeks rather than just wild carding is ridiculous and serves no purpose other than keeping you lower down the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Taking a 24 point hit over 4 weeks rather than just wild carding is ridiculous and serves no purpose ruins keeping you lower down the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said one or two weeks.

Essentially i'm asking is the wild-card more valuable than the points?
I said one or two weeks.

Only if you assume you will need your wildcard again later in the season to save yourself more points.

Don't forget that there is another free wildcard in January.
Reply 1392
I said one or two weeks.

Over one or two weeks is even worse :lolwut:

Even if you have a poor team you should still pick up 24 points, which essentially puts you at 0. You will then need to get 50+ on top of that to make it a worthwhile week (most of the time).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I normally have no hesitation to spend 4 points in a game week. Just depends what the fixtures are like and if you have a few players injured.
No way would i ever use my wildcard in the first couple of weeks. But people are different. I don't think it has too much bearing on the end result.
Over one or two weeks is even worse :lolwut:

Even if you have a poor team you should still pick up 24 points, which essentially puts you at 0. You will then need to get 50+ on top of that to make it a worthwhile week (most of the time).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well not really. If you have a failing team then it's likely to cost you big over the course of three or four weeks, moreso than perhaps a hit of 24 points to make five transfers in one week.

So you decide to make transfers instead of using the wild card and take a 20-24 point hit (I picked this number because I think maybe 6-7 transfers is average for someone overhauling a bad player selection). 20 points is nothing really, especially if you improved your team. I know that I made three transfers (8pts) in GWK2 and managed still to rise, so it's easily possible to not lose too much ground. The question is will things change significantly enough that come January that WC is more valuable than 20-24 points. With teams having games in hand on top of all the other reasons you'd change players now, surely that's possible.
Reply 1395
Well not really. If you have a failing team then it's likely to cost you big over the course of three or four weeks, moreso than perhaps a hit of 24 points to make five transfers in one week.

So you decide to make transfers instead of using the wild card and take a 20-24 point hit (I picked this number because I think maybe 6-7 transfers is average for someone overhauling a bad player selection). 20 points is nothing really, especially if you improved your team. I know that I made three transfers (8pts) in GWK2 and managed still to rise, so it's easily possible to not lose too much ground. The question is will things change significantly enough that come January that WC is more valuable than 20-24 points. With teams having games in hand on top of all the other reasons you'd change players now, surely that's possible.

You get another wildcard in January anyway :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You get another wildcard in January anyway :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yes, isn't that a good thing? There's a mind-set that appears to be that a wildcard is for correcting errors. I just wonder if it can be used offensively with more success
Another factor when deciding whether to take the hits or not is whether the people you want will increase in price and/or the people you want to get rid of will decrease in price. I held onto Lukaku for too long because I didn't want to to take a 4 point hit and sold when he was worth 7.8. In hindsight I would've taken the hit because now I don't have 100 to play with.
How much do you reckon Eto'o will be? Came on a free transfer and is pretty old so may be available at a bargain.
Well yes, isn't that a good thing? There's a mind-set that appears to be that a wildcard is for correcting errors. I just wonder if it can be used offensively with more success

That will depend on how you make your selections. Some people pick players who they think will do well over the season. Some pick based on current form and some pick based on next run of games.

I personally will use my when the fixtures for some teams switch from easy to tough to bring in other players who have easier games.

Latest