The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Ox or Cam? (For Maths)

Hi.
I'm applying to one of these Uni's for 2014 Entry, and need some advice on which one to apply to, if possible.

Firstly, I'll be on a Gap Year when applying, so I'll have finished my A-Levels, and will be getting between A*A*A-A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Physics (I also have extenuating circumstances, which I won't go into, but I'll let the Uni's know of course).

If I get A*AA, is it still worth applying to Oxford seen as their entry requirements are A*A*A?
My UMS is very low for Cambridge standards: it'll be about 85 for Maths, and about 88 for Further Further Maths.
Extenuating circumstances didn't affect me getting low UMS, as I was getting these scores before.

I've looked at the MAT and I feel confident about doing well in it.
I've been looking at STEP for a while now and I believe I could get a 1/2 in STEP I right now.

I haven't visited either, and don't intend to as I feel embarassed if someone like a Cambridge admissions tutor asks me about my UMS, and I tell them => awkward moment, right?

If you were me, which one would you apply to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
tbh ,,, unless you have done STEP and smashed it ... i wouldnt .. imo

you could aplly to cambridge as a one off..but i wouldnt go for oxford as you dont meet the min..

Ryan
Reply 2
great gcses & good a levels (but not that high ums) - oxford
good gcses & excellent a levels (90+ ums %) - cambridge

you should look at their courses and see which one you like the most
Reply 3
Original post by ryanb97
tbh ,,, unless you have done STEP and smashed it ... i wouldnt .. imo

you could aplly to cambridge as a one off..but i wouldnt go for oxford as you dont meet the min..

Ryan

But like I said, I have extenuating circumstances that affected my exams, which is why I might've not gotten that A* in Further Maths. Could they not take that into account?
Reply 4
Original post by JPL9457

Both courses (for the first 3-years) look pretty similar to me, but for fourth year I'm definitely leaning towards Cambridge.
Reply 5
Undoubtedly Cambridge is overall better because of fourth year, but both are excellent and have very tough courses (Oxford recently made a syllabus change to the entire degree making it more challenging as well). The good thing is the admission procedures at both are so vastly different you can really maximise your chances by cleverly applying. If you're good at STEP and think you can achieve the STEP offer without a massive amount of work then definitely apply to Cambridge; it's much easier to receive an offer from Cambridge than it is Oxford. If you don't feel especially confident regarding STEP then you need to determine how well you can do on the MAT - if you are consistently getting 80%+ on MAT papers you'll be in with a good chance of an offer (providing your interview isn't abysmal). Likewise, if your top three AS-Levels are <90% I wouldn't recommend applying to Cambridge.

EDIT: Sorry, I've only just now fully read your thread. If you haven't met the entry requirements for Oxford you will categorically get rejected unless the extenuating circumstances are accepted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by JPL9457

This isn't that good advice to be honest, Oxford don't care about GCSEs for Maths (words of my own tutor). There are far better factors to go on here such as STEP/MAT.
Reply 7
Original post by Noble.
Undoubtedly Cambridge is overall better because of fourth year, but both are excellent and have very tough courses (Oxford recently made a syllabus change to the entire degree making it more challenging as well). The good thing is the admission procedures at both are so vastly different you can really maximise your chances by cleverly applying. If you're good at STEP and think you can achieve the STEP offer without a massive amount of work then definitely apply to Cambridge; it's much easier to receive an offer from Cambridge than it is Oxford. If you don't feel especially confident regarding STEP then you need to determine how well you can do on the MAT - if you are consistently getting 80%+ on MAT papers you'll be in with a good chance of an offer (providing your interview isn't abysmal). Likewise, if your top three AS-Levels are <90% I wouldn't recommend applying to Cambridge.

EDIT: Sorry, I've only just now fully read your thread. If you haven't met the entry requirements for Oxford you will categorically get rejected unless the extenuating circumstances are accepted.

I do have genuine extenuating circumstances, and I would like to believe they'll think highly of me for achieving A*AA-A*A*A with all that went on, which'll be explained in my reference as I don't think Oxford have an Extenuating Circumstances Form like Cambridge (?).
If I'm scoring 80%+ in the MAT now, and I achieve A*AA, what that not get me at least an interview you think? (if they take into account the EC as well)

And my top 3 A-Level UMS scores will definitely be below 90, probably all together at around 85 (if not lower)... do you think I should rule at Cam, then?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Anyone else got any opinions on this?
I don't think you can make a proper decision until you have your grades (and your UMS percentages) in your hands. On one hand, Cambridge have a better fourth year, you don't have to do the MAT and they interview almost everyone so you'd get a chance to show off your skills. On the other hand, Oxford isn't so nitpicky about UMS and if you do well in the MAT it will be great for you.

If it was me, I'd go for Cambridge, but you can't decide until you see your grades in print.
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.

Original post by StanKing
Both courses (for the first 3-years) look pretty similar to me, but for fourth year I'm definitely leaning towards Cambridge.

what is so good about the fourth year of cambridge maths compared to oxford maths?
Reply 11
Original post by JPL9457
what is so good about the fourth year of cambridge maths compared to oxford maths?

One thing is that there's far more scope for what you can actually do, however Oxford are making changes to fourth year over the next couple of years (by the time I'm a fourth year, the new syllabus will be in place) and they are well are that 4th year at the moment is somewhat limiting (so undoubtedly it'll be something they address).
Reply 12
Original post by Noble.
One thing is that there's far more scope for what you can actually do, however Oxford are making changes to fourth year over the next couple of years (by the time I'm a fourth year, the new syllabus will be in place) and they are well are that 4th year at the moment is somewhat limiting (so undoubtedly it'll be something they address).

On another note, which of the 2 universitites would it be easier to get an interview from?
Reply 13
On another note, which of the 2 universitites would it be easier to get an interview from?

Cambridge, they interview practically everyone. Oxford only interview about 60% (IIRC) and use the MAT to decide who to interview.
Reply 14
Original post by Noble.
Cambridge, they interview practically everyone. Oxford only interview about 60% (IIRC) and use the MAT to decide who to interview.

You reckon I'll get an interview? (providing: they accept my extenuating circumstances form/ I have a favourable reference/ good PS)
You reckon I'll get an interview? (providing: they accept my extenuating circumstances form/ I have a favourable reference/ good PS)

For Oxford? That would depend on your MAT result...
Anyone else got any opinions on this?

I don't think you should make your choice based on entry criteria. Choose the one that feels better to you. Although they have different admissions processes they are looking for basically the same thing.

Choice of college is a different matter. Even with pooling, some colleges are more selective than others. Given that you are not going to be a top candidate, it might pay to avoid the most popular colleges.

Neither Uni will like you taking a gap year - the risk is that mathmos go rusty unless they continue to work at it.
Original post by ian.slater
Choice of college is a different matter. Even with pooling, some colleges are more selective than others. Given that you are not going to be a top candidate, it might pay to avoid the most popular colleges.
Err, nope. At Oxford then pooling means that applicants to more popular colleges can be statistically more likely to get a place at the university than candidates who apply to less popular colleges.
Reply 18
Original post by Chief Wiggum
For Oxford? That would depend on your MAT result...

Say I achieve 80%+?
Reply 19
Say I achieve 80%+?

Yes, you'd undoubtedly get an interview (for you not they'd have to make the MAT stupidly easy).

Latest

Trending

Trending