The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I emailed st andrews on monday confirming that I would attend my interview next month, but they did not reply confirming that they recieved my email... Should I give them a call or email them again just to make sure they recieved my email? Or do they just not reply? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by user18
I emailed st andrews on monday confirming that I would attend my interview next month, but they did not reply confirming that they recieved my email... Should I give them a call or email them again just to make sure they recieved my email? Or do they just not reply? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They replied to mine when I confirmed my interview, when did you email to confirm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by user18

Posted from TSR Mobile

It took them 5 days to reply my email. So wait a bit maybe?
Reply 583
Original post by RebeccaNeilson
They replied to mine when I confirmed my interview, when did you email to confirm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long did it take them to get back to you? I emailed on monday:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
Original post by user18

Posted from TSR Mobile

It took them more than a week to reply to me why I emailed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 585
Original post by user18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe call tomorrow; I got an email back within 2 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by XingBairong
It took them 5 days to reply my email. So wait a bit maybe?

Ah ok, so if I don't have a reply by friday or Monday should I give them a call?

Original post by staple321
It took them more than a week to reply to me why I emailed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phew that ok then! I was getting a little worried haha! I'll leave it a little while until I give them a call or another email haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Original post by MOHSINM31
Maybe call tomorrow; I got an email back within 2 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh did you? :s hopefully they reply tomorrow, if not I will give them a call jist to make sure they recieved my email! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eduardopescado
I'm on the Manchester route and, to be honest, the fact it's PBL doesn't really bother me anymore for a couple of reasons despite hating it just like you. For phase 2 you will be on clinical placements which is the main focus opposed to academic learning so that reduces the 'negative' impact of PBL teaching, enhanced by the fact you've learnt an outstanding amount at St Andrews already compared to other medical schools. Also the PBL medical schools (inc. Manchester and Glasgow) are changing their courses a bit as they start to realise PBL isn't actually good as the only form of learning. Oh and you get a free iPad at Manchester :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did some work experience at a hospital with some third year Manchester students. Some of them were from St Andrews, and they absolutely hated the fact that they were down in Preston now. They didn't seem keen on Manchester Medical School as a whole either.

What do you think of Manchester coming down from St Andrews?
Original post by DiabeticPanda
I did some work experience at a hospital with some third year Manchester students. Some of them were from St Andrews, and they absolutely hated the fact that they were down in Preston now. They didn't seem keen on Manchester Medical School as a whole either.

A doctor I shadowed in summer was St Andrews to Manchester. He loved St A but hated Manchester :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimmymacmog
A doctor I shadowed in summer was St Andrews to Manchester. He loved St A but hated Manchester :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the exact same thing I've heard! I've stupidly applied for the Manchester route as well. I wonder if they'll let me change if they give me an offer?
This is the exact same thing I've heard! I've stupidly applied for the Manchester route as well. I wonder if they'll let me change if they give me an offer?

I just went open because I really wouldn't mind either way, manc is closer to home but Scotland is where I want to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally not, I don't think. It has been mentioned that there's the possibility of changing routes once you're here, but it's limited to a few transfers a year. From what I can gather, most want to stay in Scotland.

I'm on the Barts route and when they gave me my offer it was very much "go to Barts or decline us".

I should have made it clearer, I'm not at Manchester yet but I am not worried about when I do go down - to be honest I think once you've got used to St Andrews I don't think there are many (if any) medical schools that will feel the same, St A is just so close-knit and happy :bandit:
Preston has a reputation for being the place people want to avoid because it's relatively far from Manchester compared to the other hospitals but I am in contact with someone that went to Preston from St Andrews who really enjoyed it and said that Preston has the best teaching (he just got an orthopod position, the lucky git!). I can't speak for the medics you spoke to, why didn't they like it? There's a chance they may have been getting used to the culture shock still :rolleyes:
Original post by eduardopescado
I should have made it clearer, I'm not at Manchester yet but I am not worried about when I do go down - to be honest I think once you've got used to St Andrews I don't think there are many (if any) medical schools that will feel the same, St A is just so close-knit and happy :bandit:
Preston has a reputation for being the place people want to avoid because it's relatively far from Manchester compared to the other hospitals but I am in contact with someone that went to Preston from St Andrews who really enjoyed it and said that Preston has the best teaching (he just got an orthopod position, the lucky git!). I can't speak for the medics you spoke to, why didn't they like it? There's a chance they may have been getting used to the culture shock still :rolleyes:

He described St Andrews as a 'bubble' and I think like you—he didn't think any other place could match the close knittedness of St Andrews. On my placement, I was treated like a 3rd year, and I can confirm that the teaching is excellent. They all know all of the consultants really well and it seems really friendly.

However, Preston doesn't compare to Manchester socially. It's about 40–60 minutes to drive there so you'll pretty much have 0 connection to Manchester.

St Andrews -> Manchester would be great because of the big busy hospitals (something St Andrews itself can't offer), but St Andrews -> Preston would be depressing, and I say this as someone who lives pretty close to Preston.

Do you know where in Manchester you'll be placed? Do St Andrews students get an preference with where they end up in Manchester or is it just random?
Hey everyone, I had a few questions. Just to let you know, I am looking to apply to St. Andrews in 2015.

1) With 6A* and 4As at GCSE and A*A*A predictions for A-levels, would I be a good contender for a place? I'm Scottish by the way.
2) Is it true that unis talk to each other (i.e. If I get a place at Edinburgh I wont be offered one in St. Andrews?
3) I heard there is discrimination against privately educated applicants, is this true? (I didn't get to choose where my parents sent me :P)

Cheeers!
Reply 596
Original post by ThatWasHard!
Hey everyone, I had a few questions. Just to let you know, I am looking to apply to St. Andrews in 2015.

1) With 6A* and 4As at GCSE and A*A*A predictions for A-levels, would I be a good contender for a place? I'm Scottish by the way.
2) Is it true that unis talk to each other (i.e. If I get a place at Edinburgh I wont be offered one in St. Andrews?
3) I heard there is discrimination against privately educated applicants, is this true? (I didn't get to choose where my parents sent me :P)

Cheeers!

I can't comment on no.1 as I'm Scottish and don't know the requirement for English qualifications. But they competitive...

No. 2 and 3 are no true. :smile: I think university that are 'linked' do talk to each other; likes ones in London but don't quote me on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 597
I've had my interview but when is the last interview date out of curiosity? :beard:
Reply 598
Original post by -Neuro-
I've had my interview but when is the last interview date out of curiosity? :beard:

Three more dates to go in March. 5th, 12th and 19th.

Does anyone know what the last interview date last year was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 599
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex
How did it go?
And, how does the skype procedure work? do you have to be alone in a room etc?
For all they know you are alone, but there could be an "adviser" standing behind the webcam sign-language dictating what you say!

are you sure that's practically possible when you are supposed to look into the webcam/screen when responding? don't think so! yes alone of course and i used a headphone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending