The Student Room Group

'What happens on tour, stays on tour'

My sort-of boyfriend (I say sort-of because it was only really a casual thing until we went to uni) of about two months went on tour for a week with some orchestra thing he's in. He got back yesterday, and called me today, pretty much opening the conversation by saying "you know they say 'what happens on tour stays on tour'...?"

It turned out that he ended up getting very drunk one night and getting with some girl. I asked how far it went and he just said "not all the way but far enough".

Like I said, it was only a casual thing, but that stung, because there was a degree of commitment there and I cared about him (and got the impression he cared about me too).

Though in a sad kind of way I'm not even surprised. I feel like an idiot for getting involved with him, even just as something casual.

I've called our little arrangement off, so I'm not even here for advice about it because I knew what I had to do. I guess I just needed to vent.

Scroll to see replies

It won't really help, nor is it useful, but at least it should amuse you and maybe cheer you up OP!
Reply 2
Haha, thanks. I sort of wish I had a nice, remote, bottomless black hole to throw him into right now :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Jennejy
"you know they say 'what happens on tour stays on tour'...?"

Him saying that makes him sound like a dick anyway tbh
Original post by Jennejy
Haha, thanks. I sort of wish I had a nice, remote, bottomless black hole to throw him into right now :s-smilie:

Ah, you'll get over him soon enough. :yep: At least it wasn't serious or anything like that. There's always a rick in keeping casual relations that one party will go off with someone else. You've either got to be prepared to accept it or not get involved in the first place IMO.
Reply 5
Original post by xDave-
Him saying that makes him sound like a dick anyway tbh

Yeah... I've never heard someone actually use that phrase before.
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
Ah, you'll get over him soon enough. :yep: At least it wasn't serious or anything like that. There's always a rick in keeping casual relations that one party will go off with someone else. You've either got to be prepared to accept it or not get involved in the first place IMO.

I know, that's why I feel kind of stupid for letting it upset me!
See, this is why you discuss these things, if you want exclusivity in the future make sure you tell the guy!
Reply 8
Original post by joker12345
See, this is why you discuss these things, if you want exclusivity in the future make sure you tell the guy!

It was exclusive - must have forgotten to put that in my original post. Mostly it was 'casual' in the sense that it was only short term, i.e. until uni, rather than indefinite.
Reply 9
I think he's trying to make you jealous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
This one time, at band camp;
Surely the fact that he told you right after he got back and didn't try to pretend nothing happened must show that he at least cares about your feelings a bit and respects you.

If he's got really drunk then he probably wasn't thinking things through and as you say it's only a 'casual' relationship, surely his drunken mind will have seen that to mean it was ok at the time?
Reply 12
Original post by leinad2012
Surely the fact that he told you right after he got back and didn't try to pretend nothing happened must show that he at least cares about your feelings a bit and respects you.

If he's got really drunk then he probably wasn't thinking things through and as you say it's only a 'casual' relationship, surely his drunken mind will have seen that to mean it was ok at the time?

This is wrong
:grouphugs:

Don't worry, TSR is here!
I hope you'll feel better soon, OP.
Original post by Jennejy
It was exclusive - must have forgotten to put that in my original post. Mostly it was 'casual' in the sense that it was only short term, i.e. until uni, rather than indefinite.

But why stay loyal for something that was ending soon? Seems a stupid arrangement to get into really ..
Original post by Sambo19
This is wrong

Why?
Reply 16

He told one of our mutual friends that he wanted to 'do the right thing' and tell me the truth. If you ask me, the right thing would have been to not do it at all. I'm almost certain he would have been pretty indignant if I'd done the same to him.

Call me cynical, but I feel like the reality is most likely that he found he preferred her, and decided to tell me so he could break our thing off and potentially start one with her. I'll be surprised if he isn't still seeing her.
Reply 17
Original post by joker12345
But why stay loyal for something that was ending soon? Seems a stupid arrangement to get into really ..

He could have got with as many girls as he wanted in a few months at uni and I wouldn't have cared one bit. I think a bit of loyalty just for that time wasn't exactly much to ask of him, really.

We both made the terms of the arrangement pretty clear and the right to f*ck around with other people was not one of them.

Though you're probably right in saying that it was a stupid idea.
Original post by Jennejy
He told one of our mutual friends that he wanted to 'do the right thing' and tell me the truth. If you ask me, the right thing would have been to not do it at all. I'm almost certain he would have been pretty indignant if I'd done the same to him.

Call me cynical, but I feel like the reality is most likely that he found he preferred her, and decided to tell me so he could break our thing off and potentially start one with her. I'll be surprised if he isn't still seeing her.

Or maybe this person's going to the same uni to him or one closer or doesn't mind a long distance relationship.

You said it's only until uni, so why are you getting really worked up over it? Maybe he saw it as more of a friends w/ benefits situation or is just a d*ck? who knows? But if you've made a mutual agreement that you'll only go out until uni, then why are you so annoyed?
Reply 19
Or maybe this person's going to the same uni to him or one closer or doesn't mind a long distance relationship.

You said it's only until uni, so why are you getting really worked up over it? Maybe he saw it as more of a friends w/ benefits situation or is just a d*ck? who knows? But if you've made a mutual agreement that you'll only go out until uni, then why are you so annoyed?

She won't be any of those things, trust me.

I'm annoyed because he broke his side of the agreement, and he would absolutely not have been okay with me had our roles in this been reversed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending