The Student Room Group

How high after Greenwich?

Hi,
I want to do MA/MSc in business sphere after graduating Business Administration in Greenwich (I`ll study in Greenwich for just final year, now I`m studying economics in Vilnius University). I hope to get first degree and I will also have one year work experience as a sales agent or insurance agent in a bank (in Lithuania). How do you think to which unis I could get offers? Is it possible to enter top20 unis in business? Or even maybe LSE, Cam, Ox etc?
Help me to clear the situation. Thnx in advance
Reply 1
Im a bit confused - does that mean you have degrees from both Greenwich and Vilnius? Or does that mean you spent the first two years studying at Vilnius and the last year at Greenwich?

I could imagine that one of the top 20 (definately top 30) would take you - your Greenwich degree isnt a guaranteed passport to oxford but you could certainly try. I dont know about business postgrad degrees but plenty exist at other good universities outside of oxbridge/london.
Reply 2
I`m transfering from Vilnius to Greenwich, grades from Vilnius are low (average about ~6.2 I think from my first year), but they said my degree clasification will depend only of grades from Greenwich. So yes, I will spend two years in Vilnius and then go to Greenwich.

As I know you should apply when you are in your final year. But how they know what degree clasification you will get? Do they look to grades from first and second year and guess that the same grades will be in third year? If I`ll get first degree, but I`ll have low grades from Vilnius, do they write it in your diploma, or they just write degree clasification??
Reply 3
thats exactly how it could work - you need to show that you are likely to get a certain classification, which a referee should help confirm. sometimes your previous grades are asked for but i dont know how in your situation. make sure you get good grades from greenwich in your first term there and get a good referee who knows your abilities. you dont have to apply as soon as you get to england, but it would be wise to make sure you know when the deadlines are for applications.
Reply 4
Oh, so referee from Greenwich will guess after first term which clasification I should get and will confirm it to university I apply....Thats an interesting scheme.
Well as I know LSE advises to apply in October or November, before the first term ends...:frown:
Reply 5
Universities vary depending on how many places they have. For example Surrey is in the top 20 and would expect 6 /10 (60%) from a Lithuanian University and minimum 2:2 from a UK university - the work experience helps. They would offer a conditional place on you providing your degree certificates to show you had completed and been awarded these scores. References are mainly used to provide confirmation of work experience. You can apply online and so the references are not always needed, the decision is based on your qualifications.
Reply 6
how random - does that mean the course isnt overly popular given the lack of reference needs? ive always needed references but ive never applied online.
Reply 7
Quite the opposite. The lack of references is in response to the huge number of applications submitted. There were over 5,000 applications on-line last year for the Masters business programmes, loads from overseas - China, Thailand, India, Pakistan, US, Greece, Nigeria, Cyprus, the West Indies, Poland and students from overseas who are already studing in UK universities. ... The courses also take large numbers e.g. 100 on the International Business programme, 60 on Marketing, 60 on International Marketing, 50 on Human Resource Management..etc. a total of about 600 masters students in the School of Management altogether. So, only the borderline cases are asked to submit letters from employers and universities. Those who have good scores and already have their module transcripts and authenticated certificates are offered places, which means you can start to organise a visa. (You need to have IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 550). Conditional places are offered until all the documents are received and vertified to check the authenticity. Those who don't meet the academic qualifications requirements are simply rejected or offered a pre-masters programme - all carried out online. http://www.som.surrey.ac.uk
Reply 8
cool - i always assumed if you had the grades then references/work experience acted as a differentiating factor. im sure many people apply with similar grades and choosing between them is hard but sounds like they have their own system for this.
Reply 9
Yeh I guess it was because of all the overseas applications where they couldn't interview people. And, then getting the references meant you would have to rely on the old hard copy system again and get letters translated... So I guess that was why. Maybe they use fax as well.
Reply 10
Oh, thats great! I`ll do my best in Greenwich and then try to enter Masters degree in one of top20 unis, as I feel I need degree from respected uni to get a promising job, Greenwich would not be enough...Many thanks :smile:
Reply 11
you might be able to get a place in a prestigious institution (lets say first 20) if you do really well in your final year. but you will be suffering from your poor grades in your first two years. it is because any institution will be asking for your transcript that covers the first two years. if they make you a conditional offer it will be based on your current achievements (grades of first two years) and references. so you better work very hard on your references by trying to establish good relations with your supervisor in a limited time. (make all your applications as early as possible to increase your chances lets say before christmis).

realistically i dont think you stand a chance at top 5-10 institutions where there is so much competition that even a first from greenwich with consistent grades over 3 years would not make it on every occasion.

i would advise you to try university of london colleges if you are thinking about staying in london (start from Kings and go down to Goldsmith), where you will have better chances, and you will get an internationally recognized diploma, and also relatively good job prospects in london)

these commands are based on my personal experience.

Good Luck...

Latest

Trending

Trending