The Student Room Group

Girls sixth form bags

I like the idea if satchels - but do they have enough room?
Looking for something funky and not to girly.
Any suggestions ??
Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I bought a satchel at the start of the year, and found it wasn't really big enough. You'll typically have lessons for 3/4 different subjects each day, and each of those subjects requires a folder. A satchel might work for the first few weeks of term, but I ended up switching to a backpack because there was more space.
Really depends whether you'll have a locker or not. I did so I just bought a Fred Perry bag, this one in fact: http://www.fredperry.com/accessories/mens/bags/classic-shoulder-bag-l1180.html well my parents bought it for me for a birthday actually :P
Sometimes I had to switch to a bigger bag but only for taking multiple folders home and stuff :smile:
Reply 3
You can get different sized satchels but I'd recommend a standard handbag...but a really big one haha! :smile:
I have different ones 1 is Paul's boutique, another is from Pull & bear, one is from Zara and others.
It really depends.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by megantrace
I bought a satchel at the start of the year, and found it wasn't really big enough. You'll typically have lessons for 3/4 different subjects each day, and each of those subjects requires a folder. A satchel might work for the first few weeks of term, but I ended up switching to a backpack because there was more space.

What style back pack did u get ?
Original post by lucine.B
You can get different sized satchels but I'd recommend a standard handbag...but a really big one haha! :smile:
I have different ones 1 is Paul's boutique, another is from Pull & bear, one is from Zara and others.
It really depends.

Not a handbag person but I do like some Paul's boutique ones
Original post by HibbsicleBean19
Really depends whether you'll have a locker or not. I did so I just bought a Fred Perry bag, this one in fact: http://www.fredperry.com/accessories/mens/bags/classic-shoulder-bag-l1180.html well my parents bought it for me for a birthday actually :P
Sometimes I had to switch to a bigger bag but only for taking multiple folders home and stuff :smile:

I had a similar one for yr11 and it was stuffed ( triple science ) so I don't kniw- would it fut sixth form stuff ?
Reply 7
I personally think Pauls boutique is chavvy and when I see them it is usually teamed with a Juicy couture tracksuit and flip flops with rollers in the hair and fags hanging out the mouth.

Love my Barbour satchel- not much more expensive than a Pauls boutique bag and so much nicer.
I had a satchel for a while. it was nowhere near big enough.

Then I got an oversized Eastpak backpack and it was amazing.
Reply 9
Original post by Rainbow Boombox
Not a handbag person but I do like some Paul's boutique ones

Dw neither am I! I use an Adidas bag half the time but again it has not room which is why I just sucked it up and used a hand bag. Yeah they're nice. I like the pull & bear one's because they're spacious so I can carry a lot. Maybe a stylish backpack like a canvas one...
stylish.jpg stylish bp.jpg stylishbpb.jpg
not sure what else tbh...there are different sized satchels so maybe you could get one that's a good fit for your folders etc. :smile:
Original post by lucine.B
Dw neither am I! I use an Adidas bag half the time but again it has not room which is why I just sucked it up and used a hand bag. Yeah they're nice. I like the pull & bear one's because they're spacious so I can carry a lot. Maybe a stylish backpack like a canvas one...
stylish.jpg stylish bp.jpg stylishbpb.jpg
not sure what else tbh...there are different sized satchels so maybe you could get one that's a good fit for your folders etc. :smile:

Oooo I like some of those - but r those style of bags sturdy enough ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have a couple, but it depends where you get them from as sometimes the material used isn't good. There are leather ones available as well :smile:
They're really good bags, very roomy as well haha.
Another vote for backpack! Your shoulders will thank you :smile:
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try a large a high-quality leather backpack with drawstrings. They look pretty, are timeless and practical.
Original post by Ashahedow
Try a large a high-quality leather backpack with drawstrings. They look pretty, are timeless and practical.

Do u have a pic of one - I have no idea what it looks like

I like this but not sure about the quality or size

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of size- think an A4 notebook and you can always go for just one A4 folder and transfer your work over to folders at home each night. I've seen some girls with tiny handbags that just carried their notebooks separately, and there were a lot of canvas backpacks as well :smile:
Reply 16
Do u have a pic of one - I have no idea what it looks like

I like this but not sure about the quality or size

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something like this http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Leather-Vintage-Style-Backpack/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3032245&SearchQuery=leather%20backpack&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Green
but perhaps more sturdy/affordable and larger?
Reply 17
hA satchel or messenger style bag sounds practical but the truth is no bag will ever be big enough! I would advise on getting a locker if possible in your sixth form, especially if you're like me with plenty of text books to carry around and at least 2 folders for each subject!

I don't know how you feel about this, not everyone cares but a lot of girls do - I don't know many people in my sixth form who actually wear a satchel bag and there's only a few more who wear bagpacks. Most girls wear bags from high street shops such as New Look who actually do quite large totes which are both stylish and have more room in than your average satchel. I wouldn't order these online though because the first one I opted for looked huge on the website and was actually quite small when it arrived!

Good luck in finding the right bag!
Reply 18
It really doesnt matter if whether it is stylish or not because some of the stylish one could barley fit in. I got a this backpack, it worked for me for the full year, but sometimes I had to carry the folder in my hand. Bag finally broke on the last week of college, so you could say I got lucky xD

http://www.riverisland.com/women/bags--purses/rucksacks/Black-zip-washed-rucksack-628996

Thats the one I got, I really liked it as well. Too bad it broke, I'm doing the same as you now, looking for a similar bag. Sad times.
I've said this on another thread but I found that the best thing to carry folders in were the canvas bags that are behind the counter in primark. Mines lasted me all year and will continue in to y13. I then just had a normal bag for my lunch and pens and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest