The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Myerscough, anyone?

Hi there,

I'm heading to Myerscough this September and I can't seem to find like anyone going? Is there anyone that attends the uni/college that can tell me what it's like? Especially the social side.. thanks! x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JessicaEllen
Hi there,

I'm heading to Myerscough this September and I can't seem to find like anyone going? Is there anyone that attends the uni/college that can tell me what it's like? Especially the social side.. thanks! x

Hi Jessica :smile:
Im off to Myerscough in September too. Im doing the veterinary nursing degree. I was there today actually, its a really nice campus and most of the staff seem friendly, especially those involved with residential students.

I couldnt tell you about the social side of things though, Im hoping to get involved in some activities or clubs to meet other people with similar interests and to also stay fit. I think its just a case of making an effort to get to know the people you live with (if youre living on campus that is!), and the people on your course, so throw yourself into freshers week.

What course are you studying? x
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sophia_1992
Hi Jessica :smile:
Im off to Myerscough in September too. Im doing the veterinary nursing degree. I was there today actually, its a really nice campus and most of the staff seem friendly, especially those involved with residential students.

I couldnt tell you about the social side of things though, Im hoping to get involved in some activities or clubs to meet other people with similar interests and to also stay fit. I think its just a case of making an effort to get to know the people you live with (if youre living on campus that is!), and the people on your course, so throw yourself into freshers week.

What course are you studying? x

Hiya,

It's great to finally speak with someone else attending the college, I am staying on the campus, seen pictures but didn't get to have an actual look when I had my interview :/ I'm hoping to do the same joining a few clubs and that :smile: I'm studying professional floristry and floral design. I'm guessing you are staying on site too? x
Reply 3
Hiya,

It's great to finally speak with someone else attending the college, I am staying on the campus, seen pictures but didn't get to have an actual look when I had my interview :/ I'm hoping to do the same joining a few clubs and that :smile: I'm studying professional floristry and floral design. I'm guessing you are staying on site too? x

Same! I met a few interesting people on interview day, but I didnt add them on Facebook or anything, would be good if Myerscough could do some sort of meet and greet on Facebook. I know my friend said they do something like that for Bangor and it works really well.

Anyway...I was there yesterday checking out the accommodation. What have you opted for? Self catering? I was given the choice (due to a medical condition) between self catering, or the veterinary nursing block, which is catered accommodation. The self catering is much much nicer, but I didnt want to be isolated from people on my course, as ive heard the vet nurses are a pretty tight knit bunch and didnt want to become isolated from that. I know the vet nursing block is a complete dive! lol. I dont mind though, we'll all be in the same boat, and I wont be on campus all the time because a large amount of my course is on placement back home. Ill be on campus for 6/7 weeks then on placement for something like 8 and back again etc.

Are you looking forward to starting?
Reply 4
Same! I met a few interesting people on interview day, but I didnt add them on Facebook or anything, would be good if Myerscough could do some sort of meet and greet on Facebook. I know my friend said they do something like that for Bangor and it works really well.

Anyway...I was there yesterday checking out the accommodation. What have you opted for? Self catering? I was given the choice (due to a medical condition) between self catering, or the veterinary nursing block, which is catered accommodation. The self catering is much much nicer, but I didnt want to be isolated from people on my course, as ive heard the vet nurses are a pretty tight knit bunch and didnt want to become isolated from that. I know the vet nursing block is a complete dive! lol. I dont mind though, we'll all be in the same boat, and I wont be on campus all the time because a large amount of my course is on placement back home. Ill be on campus for 6/7 weeks then on placement for something like 8 and back again etc.

Are you looking forward to starting?

Yes I'm staying in self catering, god that sounds like a lot of running around! Yeh I am excited, heard that guests can't stay over which is a bit **** but apart from that I'm looking forward to it :smile: Are you? x
Reply 5
Hi,

I'm also starting at myerscough in September, glad i've found other people who are going because I haven't met anyone that's going yet. I'm nervous as i'm not staying on site so worried about not being able to get to know people properly but i'm going to study Welfare of Animals.
Reply 6
Hi!
I'm beginning my second year at Myerscough this September studying Welfare of Animals. This is the thread from last year and hopefully some of the posts will help you guys. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2094502&highlight=myerscough

I stayed in catered accomodation because I didnt have priority for self catered, you will love self catered a lot it is really great. I made a longer post about this in the other thread lol. Catered accomodation isnt too bad either, but if you have a choice go for self catered. I'm not sure about the vet nursing accomodation, but catered sounded good for that course as youre all together :smile:

I am looking into doing some sports this year too! You will recieve a leaflet with you accomodation pack if you havent already.

I was frustrated last year with the lack of information we were given regarding freshers and that. This is the facebook page they are using for events and stuff. https://www.facebook.com/myerscoughstudentunion?fref=ts
Please get involved at freshers, they don't really do much but at least go on the nights out into preston and at the stumble inn if thats what you enjoy. Hopefully this year they will do more :smile: It will help you make friends and be more social unlike me who stayed in my room all the time!

I studied Welfare of animals last year and it was really great, the tutors are lovely and the assignments are pretty enjoyable and interesting. You will love the practical days on the animal academy and the staff there are also awesome.

If you have any questions, please don't hesistate to ask me on here or in a direct message, I will try my best to check regularly. And if any of you need help in freshers or anything just ask. But you will love it here :smile:
Reply 7
Oh and about the over night visitors, if youre quiet and youre friendly with your flat mates and I dont think anyone will mind. The wardens only check your rooms like once a week in self catered I think? catered we had no one apart from cleaners. People had their boyfriends/girlfriends in their rooms all the time! They were from the same uni though, but i'm sure it wouldnt matter. I plan to have my friend round one day when we go out to preston for the night :smile:
Reply 8
Hi girls,

I'm having the exact same problem Emily, haven't met anyone and now having to resolve to searching online, ahah bit sad really. But about the campus thing I'm sure you'll be fine like, just get involved in freshers and I guess you shouldn't have a problem :smile:

And Aims thanks for all the info! Just gave the page a quick look and it seems good, how're the clubs in Preston? Anddd that's such good news about having guests! x
Reply 9
You will make friends on your course regardless of if you're staying on campus or not. There are quite a few that travelled in on my course :smile:

:biggrin: Glad to help. The clubs are pretty awesome, i've only been to a couple, I intend to try more this year! It's always a good night out according to everyone :smile: You will need to share a taxi so make sure you stick together with your friends :smile: as it's about £15 If i remember properly! With five/six of you its fine! I think people mostly go out on thursdays as that was the student night out. The on campus pub is good and that was on tuesdays this year, i think it will be the same come september. It closes at 12, or 11 to under 18 but then people tend to go to the flats for after parties and of course pre drinks :biggrin:

A good thing about myerscough is that it is a campus uni! So you get to know a lot of people and you see familar faces in the pub :smile:

What course are you going to be doing?
Reply 10
Ahhh, think I'll be spending most of my time in town but that pub doesn't sound bad for a local night. I'm studying floristry so trying to find others that do the same course, no luck yet. Do you live on site in your second year? x
Reply 11
Awesome, they do a main night every tuesday it's just handy if you want to have a fun night and still be in walking distance from your room so youre ready to get up for lessons the next day lol. Oh cool, I only found a few people here on TSR, because it's small there doesn't seem to be many posts about it :c Yes I have secured my catered accomodation for this year, on the waiting list for self catered though hopefully people will drop out lol
Reply 12
Hiya :smile: I'm starting in September doing equestrian management and development! I've applied for self catering and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about move in dates or when we find out we're we are living yet? X
(edited 10 years ago)
Ive been looking at some of the bars and stuff in Preston. Ive never been a huge party goer, but thats mainly due to bad health...im 110% better now *touch wood*, and really looking forward to going. I saw a comedy club, Ive forgotten the name of it; Frog something, I think! Has anybody been? I thought it would be a fun alternative one night.

Thanks Amy for posting the link to the MSU. I havent been able to find ANYTHING at all. The closest thing ive found is the freshers group for UClan!
Reply 14
Original post by Claire1108
Hiya :smile: I'm starting in September doing equestrian management and development! I've applied for self catering and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about move in dates or when we find out we're we are living yet? X

Hiya, I gave the college a ring the other day about accommodation and we're getting a pack in the post (should be this week). We get keys on the 8th and start on the 9th Sept :smile:

And Sophia I've seen that comedy club thing too, thought the exact same thing! I'm hoping to do both Myerscough and Preston freshers, should be a laugh. :smile: x
Reply 15
:biggrin: Yeah we had no information at all last year had to search for it and ring them up ourselves. Yep, you'll move in on the 8th and start on the 9th there won't be too many people on campus as the rest of us don't start until the 16th but I think a lot are coming in to join in with freshers aha.

The first week is just induction really and getting to know your classmates and tutors etc.

I haven't heard of the comedy club, but I've heard preston freshers is meant to be awesome :smile: Hope to see some of you at the Stumble Inn sometime :smile:
Hiya, I gave the college a ring the other day about accommodation and we're getting a pack in the post (should be this week). We get keys on the 8th and start on the 9th Sept :smile:

And Sophia I've seen that comedy club thing too, thought the exact same thing! I'm hoping to do both Myerscough and Preston freshers, should be a laugh. :smile: x

Same. I was really worried about starting until about 4 weeks ago, but now i cant wait. Definitely want to check out the Freshers in Preston, which is 2 weeks long apparently! Ive seen something about a foam party somewhere.
Reply 17
Okay thanks, bit crazy that's we don't no anything about were we are living and we move in in 3 weeks!!! Excited though :biggrin: x
Original post by Claire1108
Okay thanks, bit crazy that's we don't no anything about were we are living and we move in in 3 weeks!!! Excited though :biggrin: x

I think when you go on the 8th, there are tables and stations that you go to where you will get keys and all the information and stuff you need. If you email the college they're pretty good at getting back and answering your questions.
Reply 19
I think when you go on the 8th, there are tables and stations that you go to where you will get keys and all the information and stuff you need. If you email the college they're pretty good at getting back and answering your questions.

Okay thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending