The Student Room Group

how easy to get into Trinity?

need some advice....i was wondering how difficult it is to get into Trinity (camb).

i've been told that if you want to stand a chance to get into Kings, Trinity, St Johns etc, you must put them down as your no. 1 choice, and to have an "insurance" place as your no. 2 choice on the graduate application forms. i been told that they won't even consider you if you don't put them down as your first choice. however, i have heard people who put down Trinity as their second choice. i was wondering what is the logic behind that?

since 1000s of others will be trying to get in, should i just forget about trying to get in there?

anyone think it's a good college to be in (apart from the money factor)?
what are the rooms, and food like?

will i be foolish in putting down Trinity as my second choice? (since it will be highly unlikely i will get in if i don't put them down as my first choice).

thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Well, what would be your first choice if you put Trinity down second? Do you think you'd stand a better chance of going there?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the graduate admissions policies - if you want to go to Trinity, put them first, if you put them second, you have to face the fact you might not get in there.
Reply 2
Helenia
Well, what would be your first choice if you put Trinity down second? Do you think you'd stand a better chance of going there?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the graduate admissions policies - if you want to go to Trinity, put them first, if you put them second, you have to face the fact you might not get in there.

thanks helenia...

right now, i'm heading towards Jesus as my no.1, and Peterhouse as no. 2 mainly because all the grad rooms have net access and it's small and sounds cosy.

http://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/admissions/prospectus/grad_life.html

however, the fact that Peterhouse only has 90 grad students, means it will be hard to get in. but i reckon it should still be easier to get into
than Trinity.
Reply 3
koalapiyo

however, the fact that Peterhouse only has 90 grad students, means it will be hard to get in. but i reckon it should still be easier to get into
than Trinity.

I should think that the lower number of places at Peterhouse would also be reflected in the number of applications, so it wouldn't necessarily be harder to get into. I can't say I know much about grad life anywhere, except my cousin was on the Tit Hall MCR and got to meet the Queen.
Reply 4
koalapiyo
need some advice....i was wondering how difficult it is to get into Trinity (camb).

i've been told that if you want to stand a chance to get into Kings, Trinity, St Johns etc, you must put them down as your no. 1 choice, and to have an "insurance" place as your no. 2 choice on the graduate application forms. i been told that they won't even consider you if you don't put them down as your first choice. however, i have heard people who put down Trinity as their second choice. i was wondering what is the logic behind that?

since 1000s of others will be trying to get in, should i just forget about trying to get in there?

anyone think it's a good college to be in (apart from the money factor)?
what are the rooms, and food like?

will i be foolish in putting down Trinity as my second choice? (since it will be highly unlikely i will get in if i don't put them down as my first choice).

thanks in advance.

I've direct experience, so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. First thing I have to say is that do not under any circumstances apply to Trinity as second choice, it will not only be pointless, it may actually damage your chances of getting another 'prestige' college (i.e. it may just lead to unnecessary delay-and time is of the essence). Personally, I think it's only worth putting Trinity down as even first choice if you're exceptional to the point that you've a pretty reasonable claim to being on of the top students at the university/especially your faculty. According to the admissions, it's near 15 people (who've already secured entry into Cambridge, many, perhaps a majority of whom have first class degrees) competing for every one place. There's something else you'd be totally crazy to do, this is to go for any two out of either Trinity, St Johns and Kings as your choices. Rejection from one may just lead to almost auto. rejection from your second choice, from thereon you'll be pooled and most probably end up with an unknown graduate college. If you've no problem with this, then it's fine to go for the above combination. Also, bare in mind that unlike Oxford, Cambridge doesn't really have any especially prestigious or highly regarded graduate college.

On your second post, the assumption you make is correct, the colleges you mention are considerably easier to get into. There is one thing that you should perhaps think about though, the two you mention have rather small graduate communities. I've heard from people who've felt somewhat isolated due to this. Although, for grads, university life tends to revolve around the faculty rather than the college. However, despite that, certain colleges have a far larger proportion of grads which may provide you with access to a wide variety interesting people.
Reply 5
J.S.
I've direct experience, so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. First thing I have to say is that do not under any circumstances apply to Trinity as second choice, it will not only be pointless, it may actually damage your chances of getting another 'prestige' college (i.e. it may just lead to unnecessary delay-and time is of the essence). Personally, I think it's only worth putting Trinity down as even first choice if you're exceptional to the point that you've a pretty reasonable claim to being on of the top students at the university/especially your faculty. According to the admissions, it's near 15 people (who've already secured entry into Cambridge, many, perhaps a majority of whom have first class degrees) competing for every one place. There's something else you'd be totally crazy to do, this is to go for any two out of either Trinity, St Johns and Kings as your choices. Rejection from one may just lead to almost auto. rejection from your second choice, from thereon you'll be pooled and most probably end up with an unknown graduate college. If you've no problem with this, then it's fine to go for the above combination. Also, bare in mind that unlike Oxford, Cambridge doesn't really have any especially prestigious or highly regarded graduate college.

On your second post, the assumption you make is correct, the colleges you mention are considerably easier to get into. There is one thing that you should perhaps think about though, the two you mention have rather small graduate communities. I've heard from people who've felt somewhat isolated due to this. Although, for grads, university life tends to revolve around the faculty rather than the college. However, despite that, certain colleges have a far larger proportion of grads which may provide you with access to a wide variety interesting people.

thanks js.
so why doesn't cambridge have highly regarded grad colleges?
which is the least bad grad college in camsb then?

well, i have a first and a masters with distinction, and my name on some papers and posters, and a departmentally endowed scholarship...do you think that would increase my chances of getting into Trinity? =)
Reply 6
koalapiyo
thanks js.
so why doesn't cambridge have highly regarded grad colleges?
which is the least bad grad college in camsb then?

well, i have a first and a masters with distinction, and my name on some papers and posters, and a departmentally endowed scholarship...do you think that would increase my chances of getting into Trinity? =)

Mostly due to (lack of) age and wealth, I suppose. I don't know if there are any huge differences between the grad. colleges, I have heard that perhaps Darwin is one of the better ones. Over the grad. colleges, I'd look at practical issues (as with any, of course), but here there's no real hierarchy of 'prestige'. I think they're roughly similar, there's certainly no grad. college with anywhere near the reputation of Nuffield Oxford for instance.

With your grades, I'd give it a shot-think you have an excellent chance. Although I tried myself with the same grade combination, however was rejected but have gotten second choice Queens'. Certainly go for it, but do not put any of the other two I mentioned in as second choice; for second choice you could, I would imagine, *easily* get into any of the other (traditional or not) colleges there.

Latest

Trending

Trending