The Student Room Group

Is engineering a worthless career?!

Is there any jobs within chemical engineering? Or is it a dead end? I am stuck between civil or chemical. But I am told civil involved lots of computer programming is this true? Help?!
Reply 1
Original post by Sabrina09
Is there any jobs within chemical engineering? Or is it a dead end? I am stuck between civil or chemical. But I am told civil involved lots of computer programming is this true? Help?!

I'm starting a Chemical Engineering degree up at Hull this year, and I was talking to the professors and they said that Chemical engineering is in high demand. So job prospects are quite good. Also, the starting salaries are much higher than average.*

Additionally, there are a lot of different industries that you can get a job in, from the petroleum industry to food manufacturing industry. So there are a lot of choices when you exit university. But, there's not actually much chemistry in the course, its more physics and math with a chemical application.

*And Chemical Engineers do quite a bit of computing too!Don't know anything about civil engineering though!*:smile:
chemical engineering is a pretty good career path as far as I know
Reply 3
Original post by sherace
I'm starting a Chemical Engineering degree up at Hull this year, and I was talking to the professors and they said that Chemical engineering is in high demand. So job prospects are quite good. Also, the starting salaries are much higher than average.*

Additionally, there are a lot of different industries that you can get a job in, from the petroleum industry to food manufacturing industry. So there are a lot of choices when you exit university. But, there's not actually much chemistry in the course, its more physics and math with a chemical application.

*And Chemical Engineers do quite a bit of computing too!Don't know anything about civil engineering though!*:smile:

I live just south of hull, There is a huge chemical based industry on the north bank and south bank, perfectly placed for you to get an internship or experience at one of those companies.

Quick Reply

Latest