The Student Room Group

Average results

I have just got 3Bs, in English Literature, Maths and History, and an E in biology(which I'm dropping anyway) in my AS levels. I will be re-sitting one exam in every subject so hopefully come out with some As overall, but I won't have them when I apply to unis. My predicted grades are likely to be higher than the ASs I've achieved, but do you think I can still get into a top university?
Reply 1
I think you'd stand a very good chance of getting into a top University, a friend of mine got ABCC last year when we sat our AS's and she got into The University of Birmingham! Make sure you try extra hard on your Personal Statement, and at the end of the day if your teachers predict you those top grades and back it up in your reference, that's what they'll go off of when admitting you, not your AS results, they'd just be worried if you'd achieved all E's for example but were predicted A's! :smile:

(she got in WITHOUT any resits as well sorry, just thought I'd clear that up :wink: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! I hope you're right, I'm just not sure whether they go more on predicted grades or AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Some Universities don't even require your AS results on their application, it's an optional extra to put onto the UCAS form, and I'm not all clued up on this new A-level system, but I thought your AS's don't go towards your final grade anyway as of this year? Which could work in your favour? So Universities will be looking even less at them this year? Hopefully anyway! But those results are better than most trust me, so don't worry. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the help, that's made me feel better that some unis don't even ask for As grades! For my subjects, the AS does count towards the final grade, but hopefully my re-sit results will be good enough to get the results I want in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Oh good, I'm glad you feel better! But oh my word that new system sounds like the most confusing thing going! Glad I got out before they introduced it! :P I'm sure you'll be fine! Just mention in your personal statement you're resitting as well? Just to give them a clue?

Quick Reply

Latest