The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

BCG is normally found at occupational health centres in hospitals or travel centres, but if you can't find somewhere to get it done you will still get an offer, don't worry. Occupational health sort everyone out when you get here, it really won't matter.
Original post by LibbyG
My hep B was £75, I can't get the BCG anywhere :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 9967
Really? My gp gave me hep b for free because I'm going into a medical career. Can't get hold of bcg however

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried asking your gp to refer you somewhere to get a bcg?

I tried asking mine, and he said that they didn't do it in the practice, but he referred me to a respiratory outpatients clinic at the hospital. I then had to have a blood test to check I didn't already have tb before they would give me a bcg.
Reply 1582
Original post by Zaphod77
BCG is normally found at occupational health centres in hospitals or travel centres, but if you can't find somewhere to get it done you will still get an offer, don't worry. Occupational health sort everyone out when you get here, it really won't matter.

Does this need to be rearranged with them beforehand as the offer form requests that we send them evidence of each vaccination?
Reply 1583
Original post by woodpecker

I tried asking mine, and he said that they didn't do it in the practice, but he referred me to a respiratory outpatients clinic at the hospital. I then had to have a blood test to check I didn't already have tb before they would give me a bcg.

I'll try that, thank you!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kabatas
Does this need to be rearranged with them beforehand as the offer form requests that we send them evidence of each vaccination?

If you don't have a date you can't put one down, I don't think you need to say anything about it... I can find out what my friend put, she got hers done when she arrived, I'll get back to you :smile:
Reply 1585
Quick question; I have two offers to study medicine next year, but they're both A*AA. My firm isn't Birmingham, so is there any point putting Birmingham as my insurance if it's the same offer as my firm? As in, is there any chance that if I were to get AAA and get rejected from my firm, I could still get in to Birmingham, even having missed their offer?
Thanks
Reply 1586
Original post by Zaphod77
If you don't have a date you can't put one down, I don't think you need to say anything about it... I can find out what my friend put, she got hers done when she arrived, I'll get back to you :smile:

Please do! I think I've been a bit laid back about it all and now know I should really get the ball rolling asap.
Reply 1587
Original post by jhitman
Quick question; I have two offers to study medicine next year, but they're both A*AA. My firm isn't Birmingham, so is there any point putting Birmingham as my insurance if it's the same offer as my firm? As in, is there any chance that if I were to get AAA and get rejected from my firm, I could still get in to Birmingham, even having missed their offer?
Thanks

wheres your other offer?
Reply 1588
Original post by 0612
wheres your other offer?

Cambridge, but is that relevant?
Reply 1589
Original post by jhitman

No its not really, I was just curious sorry :smile:

Btw, Congrats on Cambridge, big achievement mate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1590
Original post by 0612
No its not really, I was just curious sorry :smile:

Btw, Congrats on Cambridge, big achievement mate.

Cheers. Obviously the plan is to just knuckle down and get the grades to go there, but I was just wandering about the insurance thing.
Reply 1591
Original post by jhitman

Ooo same which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jhitman
Cheers. Obviously the plan is to just knuckle down and get the grades to go there, but I was just wandering about the insurance thing.

In not sure if this is relevant, but still put an insurance as the uni MAY (take that is the lightest way possible) reduce your offer in the event that you don't make that A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jhitman
Thanks

I have heard of people in my year that have got in without the A*AA grades, but I can't 100% confirm it so it is a possibility.
so stuck between Bham and Cardiff....
Original post by woodpecker

I came without BCG, and a lot of my friends did too- several also came without Hep B. I wouldn't panic if you can't get them done, as it doesn't impact your offer or any practice in 1st year. :smile:
Original post by JoshL123
I have heard of people in my year that have got in without the A*AA grades, but I can't 100% confirm it so it is a possibility.

I heard this in freshers week too, that a few people got in with AAA. But like Josh said, don't rely on this; work hard and you'll get there, don't worry!
Reply 1597
Original post by cloud9medic
so stuck between Bham and Cardiff....

Me too! I'm from Wales so Cardiff is a bit familiar, but the course does look good there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1598
Is there a FB group for Bham offer holders?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshL123

A couple of people definitely did, I know a couple. However, they also rang up a couple of people after results came out and gave them an offer, despite them being rejected before, so I think they were in difficulty...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending