The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Anyone want to switch from catered to non catered halls?

Hi, so I've got a place at Broadgate Park halls which is a self catered halls but after an attempt to cook resulting in something that could not even be called food I realised that was a mistake. So I called Nottingham and as University Park campus is full they said the only way I could get into catered is if anyone wanted to switch. So if anyone wants to switch from catered on University Park campus to Broadgate Park let me know! (Otherwise I may just starve)
Reply 1
You shouldn't give up on cooking for yourself after only one attempt. It's a life skill worth persevering with.

Anyway you don't need to jump in too deep to start with. Even you can make a sandwich or a salad or pop some fish fingers in the oven. There are also plenty of ready meals that only take a bit of microwaving.
You may not be ready for the Great British Bake Off but you shouldn't starve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I wouldn't give up on it straight away!

People make cooking mistakes all the time. I regularly get my baking recipes wrong and end up with all sorts of fun inventions.

It's not picked up by cooking just one meal, it takes practice, but you're going to have to learn sooner or later, so best to do it while you're staying with a number of other people in a kitchen also learning to cook :smile:
Reply 3
You've still got three weeks - ask your parents to teach you some basic skills and recipes. Write down how to make some of your favourite things from home - you can even get blank recipe books for this if you want. If you manage a different recipe for each day of the week you'll look like a masterchef compared to some.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, most people will be in a similar boat to you, and you'll have to learn how to cook sometime! Just another thing to add to a list of awesome things at uni.

You could always try a student cookbook!
If everything else fails then you could always buy ready made meals that you just have to stick in the oven or microwave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending