The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rafa
Well, they say good things come to those who wait. I hope it's a case that we get unconditional offers :tongue:

Me too! I feel a bit pessimistic at the moment, the letter kind of got my hopes up a bit but I think it's just the silly way they worded it ... UCAS has maintenance at the worst time haha
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 381
Original post by Dsmiithy
Me too! I feel a bit pessimistic at the moment, the letter kind of got my hopes up a bit but I think it's just the silly way they worded it ... UCAS has maintenance at the worst time haha

Yeah I know what you mean mate. I wonder when we'll get a reply for our bridging course lol. UCAS down from 18:00 right? Not back up until Monday morning, it's a pain, let's hope by the next time we log in we've got ourselves an offer :wink:
Original post by Rafa
Yeah I know what you mean mate. I wonder when we'll get a reply for our bridging course lol. UCAS down from 18:00 right? Not back up until Monday morning, it's a pain, let's hope by the next time we log in we've got ourselves an offer :wink:

Yeah down from 18:00 till 8:30am Monday, yeah I hope there's atleast an answer for me either way at this point hahah

It would be unbelievably horrendous of them to send out letters like that if they aren't actually going to accept you guys!!!! Though I think they've at least got to be viewing your applications favorably if they're writing to you.
Original post by zombie.NATION
It would be unbelievably horrendous of them to send out letters like that if they aren't actually going to accept you guys!!!! Though I think they've at least got to be viewing your applications favorably if they're writing to you.

Yeah tell me about it, if i don't get in after seeing myself called a 'mature student holding an offer' my heart will break haha

when did you apply by the way? I saw your a mature student already with an offer?
Yes, I firmed my offer for BA Korean and Japanese as soon I saw it. I'm an international student and I submitted my application on March 22nd. I didn't hear from them until May, when they asked for two transcripts. Then I anxiously waited to see whether or not they would actually give me a rejection this time around, rather than keep me waiting until the July 17th deadline. For a time I even thought about withdrawing the application so I could accept Sheffield's offer, but of course I'm glad it didn't come to that. Can't believe my luck!
How come SOAS are not replying to people offering them a place or rejecting them?

Is the university that poor in communcaiton? Why are they so slow...every other university seem to manage
Reply 387
Original post by xxvine
How come SOAS are not replying to people offering them a place or rejecting them?

Is the university that poor in communcaiton? Why are they so slow...every other university seem to manage

They're a very small Uni and I've heard they're admin staff are indeed studying themselves (most likely post-grad)

To be fair to them, anyone who managed to submit their application before 15th of January have all received replies, mine unfortunately was sent of late by my college, everyone else in my college seems to have had a reply.
Original post by Rafa
They're a very small Uni and I've heard they're admin staff are indeed studying themselves (most likely post-grad)

To be fair to them, anyone who managed to submit their application before 15th of January have all received replies, mine unfortunately was sent of late by my college, everyone else in my college seems to have had a reply.

is it very hard to get into SOAS?

I would like to study Law but didnt apply LOL

Hope they are in clearing this year!
Reply 389
Original post by xxvine
is it very hard to get into SOAS?

I would like to study Law but didnt apply LOL

Hope they are in clearing this year!

I don't think it's difficult to get into SOAS provided you have the required grades and most importantly your Personal Statement is written at a very high standard. From the numerous times I've been to SOAS, all the staff and students have emphasised the importance of the Personal Statement. Of course, like a few people I still await a reply from them. In terms of clearing, you can only hope :smile:
Original post by xxvine
Hey

Are you at SOAS right now?

May i ask do you know what they are like with re-sits? Do they take candidates that have resat exams and want to study Law?

Sorry for such a late reply, I don't use this forum much/at all. And double sorry because I'm starting this September and I really have no idea how they judge candidates' suitability :frown:

Original post by Squaresquirrel
Congrats!

Thanks man :smile:

Original post by bethalarjc
Japanese in SOAS is my firm too!c:

Awesomeeee, 2014 entry? Have you studied Japanese before?
Original post by ebony589
Awesome! How was your first year experience at SOAS? How did you find the teaching? Did you feel prepared enough for your year abroad? When did you have to leave to go and how have you found it so far?
*Bombardment of questions over* :biggrin:

This is hilariously late, so I don't know if you're still interested, but!

First year was hectic. Class every day, a test every week, and adjusting to living in London was insane. But we all managed!

I felt prepared for my year abroad, but was pretty much in the deep end once I arrived. But, again, we all managed, and adapted quickly.

I arrived in Korea in August last year (back in the UK now!) and I loved it. So, so much.
Original post by Rafa
I don't think it's difficult to get into SOAS provided you have the required grades and most importantly your Personal Statement is written at a very high standard. From the numerous times I've been to SOAS, all the staff and students have emphasised the importance of the Personal Statement. Of course, like a few people I still await a reply from them. In terms of clearing, you can only hope

Have you received an email today? I got a provisional acceptance onto the bridging course and they said they will send final details in August.. They didn't add it was dependant on a place so this gets my hopes up again haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 393
Have you received an email today? I got a provisional acceptance onto the bridging course and they said they will send final details in August.. They didn't add it was dependant on a place so this gets my hopes up again haha

Haha, yeah I also got my email.

I have provisionally reserved a place and we will contact you again in August with programme details and a final booking confirmation form for you to complete and return.

I'd like to think we've been accepted and we should hear back from them next week...I've waited too long dude!
Reply 394
Anyone else get an e-mail from sanctuary management today about places at Dinwiddy House. I wasn't offered a place and now I have to wait until the second round of offers on August 01st which are basically the few places left after people have rejected their offer. Anyone know how they decide who gets a place and who doesn't?
Original post by Chatra
Anyone else get an e-mail from sanctuary management today about places at Dinwiddy House. I wasn't offered a place and now I have to wait until the second round of offers on August 01st which are basically the few places left after people have rejected their offer. Anyone know how they decide who gets a place and who doesn't?

I wasn't successful either. I had been fearing this would happen since I wasn't able to apply before last week. I believe they say they give priority to first year students who aren't from the UK (like myself). I don't know what I'll do if I don't make the second round.
Reply 396
I applied in March after I got my offer and still wasn't successful. Will be a first year from the uk, the other side of England though. Fingers crossed for round 2.
Has any international student received a CAS yet? How long did it take after you firmed your unconditional?
Original post by zombie.NATION
Has any international student received a CAS yet? How long did it take after you firmed your unconditional?

I have. Got my offer in Jan,received CAS last month.I guess it depends on the time that students apply for Visa(2 months before starting date of the programme) and does not depend on when you have firmed.
Original post by ritu_21
I have. Got my offer in Jan,received CAS last month.I guess it depends on the time that students apply for Visa(2 months before starting date of the programme) and does not depend on when you have firmed.

Well I hope they get on with it so I can proceed with my application. I'd like to have one less thing to worry about when it comes to moving across an ocean! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending